Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Leaky water heater pipe

Hello, attached is a photo of my water heater underneath my sink on my Thor Daybreak 34 KD. I went under the sink to inspect for leaks like I often do and found that the pipe in the photo was dripping. This seems like an easy fix but I wanted to run it by some more experience people before I go monkeying around with my water heater.

This is an Atwood model GC6AA-10E. I'm thinking I just need to empty the tank, loosen the pipe and reapply plumbers tape. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks

Bobbi
The Culinary Camper
Attached Images

gitarwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd be a little concerned as to why it started leaking. Have you been using the heater? If it is the red hose, thats PEX tubing and the plastic fitting appears to be a female swivel. Not sure by the picture where your leak is. Maybe it justs needs snugged up a little to stop leaking. Sometimes there is a rubber washer cone in that fitting also, this may need to be replaced. Your plastic swivel may have a hairline crack in it too. I think you are on the right track as far as draining etc. and with a little luck that may all you have to do.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #3

My 1st instinct is to check tightness of the threaded connection, see if it tightens, if not, no harm done.
3 possible leaks.
Threaded connection to tank
Swivel seal if there is one
Hose connection to elbow

If you can't see which point is leaking, turn water off, dry up the fitting, have paper towel ready.
Turn water on slowly until you see 1st drip, turn water off. Start drying again, slowly from the lowest point and follow where the water is coming from.
The edge of the paper towel is best for finding the smallest drops of water.
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #4

Bobbi, all above is excellent advice....however, do not use teflon tape or pipe dope on that connection. As mentioned by Ken/98FPA above, that fitting does indeed have a rubber washer in the back of it and teflon tape will prevent it from tightening down all the way allowing it to seal properly.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to replace the plastic female fitting on mine last year, the seal just gave out from old age. Most any RV store will have a replacement fitting.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #6

Hey thanks everyone for the advice. I went to an RV parts store and got some new washers (gaskets or water ever they are called) and released the pressure from the water heater. Then I loosened the pipe and checked that the gasket was still good. It looked fine so I re-attached and tightened the pipe. Just turned the water back on and the water heater is on as well and so far so good, no leaking. Thanks again for your advice! I'm getting better at fixing these little issues.
gitarwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Makes you feel good when you can fix things on your own.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, heater, water heater, water