Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

leaning MoHo

i have a 2014 f53 24K chassis and it leans on passenger side, has any one had this problem and added a BLOCK in back between axle and spring, also i was thinking to add air bag in front. Is there anybody that has had the problem and had it fixed. could you let me know what you did to make repair.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHD View Post
i have a 2014 f53 24K chassis and it leans on passenger side, has any one had this problem and added a BLOCK in back between axle and spring, also i was thinking to add air bag in front. Is there anybody that has had the problem and had it fixed. could you let me know what you did to make repair.
Well,
A few questions,
1. How long has it been doing this?
2. Being that it's a '14, how long have you owned it?
3. Have you possibly loaded more on the low side lately?
4. Have you physically looked at the springs to check and see if there's a possible broken leaf in the leaf pack?

This is asking a bit of history so we can help with more accurate answers. To just THROW any type of fix at it, without knowing any potential cause for the leaning in the first place is not a good approach.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #3

I'm not sure adding a block would be a good idea if you plan to drive with it in place. After covering Fire Up's comments, and depending on how that works out, you could add spring leaves or air bags.

I've added, and removed, spring leaves from the pack, but always kept the same amount on each side. I've never used air bags, but they could work for you, after first determining that the springs are all right. I think I would put them on both sides and use different air pressures until the vehicle was level. Others who have used air bags may differ.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need to determine why it's leaning. Then decide what mitigation is needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #5

Adding a block seems like a bandaid, you really need to inspect and find out if there is a mechanical issue. Personally, not sure I would go too far until I understood what was going on as it could be as safety issue.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

I'd look for a slipped shackle or something on your Springs. I consider taking it to a truck alignment shop and have them look at it.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before doing anything, get it weighed. ideally, you need a weight for each axle. a full weight would be preferable, include everything you normally take with you on a road trip, including water.

You need to have the axle weights anyway to verify proper tire inflation. Check your tire pressures, As a starting point, it should be the same in all 6 tires. You should have a sticker inside that will give you a recommended pressure. Manufactures normally post the highest tire pressure from the lookup table. This is OK to use as your starting point.

Inspect underneath for bad shackles (rubber missing), look very careful for broken spring leafs. do a leaf count to make sure the left and right side match. If a leaf break and falls out, unless you look carefully, you may not see it.

Air bags could help you level it, but a balanced load would be better..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
My coach was low on pass. side also. Tiffin addd a spacer to the rear axel to fix it.
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #9

Another thing I thought of is that all roads are crowned for water drainage. If leaning is only noticed when traveling, it could simply be that it is caused by the road surface. If this is not the case, please ignore this somewhat random thought.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

As Waiter21 mentioned, have it weighed to see what the weight distribution is.

Sometimes it is as easy as moving some weight around for a better balance, barring anything mechanically wrong.

I have airbags on my F53 chassis and have 22 psi in the passenger side rear bag and 20 psi in the drivers side. This compensates for the fridge and stove in the passenger side. Also the bedroom slide is on the passenger side as well.

This small adjustment gives me a level coach.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
My coach was low on pass. side also. Tiffin addd a spacer to the rear axel to fix it.
This is the fix.

Adding spring leaves or air bags just adds to the stiffness of the ride.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #12

God i love this site, thank you everybody. im taking it to the ford fleet center next week. This is a tiffin allegro 36la and i called tiffin and they said you could need a block under back axle or it could be the frame of the coach that a weld has broken. They said to measure all four corners and then to call them with the measurements and they would be able to let me know whats going on.
Anyway again thank you for sharing your ideas. Just love it
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #13

Please update when you get it figured out.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHD View Post
God i love this site, thank you everybody. im taking it to the ford fleet center next week. This is a tiffin allegro 36la and i called tiffin and they said you could need a block under back axle or it could be the frame of the coach that a weld has broken. They said to measure all four corners and then to call them with the measurements and they would be able to let me know whats going on.
Anyway again thank you for sharing your ideas. Just love it
Ride,
You didn't say whether this is a new situation to you, or you bought it like it is or, if you've looked under it to see if there's something obvious.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote