Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Learning to drive 44 ft tag

I have pulled large boats and driven full sized vans, big moving trucks and my corvette, but never anything as massive as a 44 ft tag axle motorhome. We will take delivery of our new to us Monaco Executive next week. My SO has lots of semi experience and tells me there is no reason I can't learn to drive our new rig and I know he is right. Are there any online tools that I could read about the operation of Diesel engines, exhaust brakes and tag axles so I will have basic knowledge before driving? To all you other women out there like me who a newbies, I am a little anxious, but you never know when we may NEED to drive and we have to be prepared. Maybe we should have a ladies forum on this group!

Dave and Cathy
2005 Monaco Executive 43 PBQ
IlliniCathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife and I took a course from RV Driving Schools RV School. We had been driving our motorhome for about 5 years. We learned a lot and our driving skills really improved. We also gained a lot of confidence. Most importantly, we learned what you could and couldn't do with a motorhome on the highway. I would highly recommend the course.

Brad & Bonnie
2007 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD
Bfmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Youtube! Lots of info. There is an hour long video on the Allison transmission that will make you want to invest in their company
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
My DW splits the driving chores with me just about 50-50. We're running a 43' tag axle Bus pulling a full size Chevy pickup. Two to 2 1/2 hours in the seat at a stretch and the other snoozing on the couch if not needed for complex directions or other duties. Start driving on more remote routes where you feel comfortable and expand to things like Interstates, mountains and then the big cities. DW has run Houston, TX and Atlanta, so I have no concerns, but I do sit in the copilot seat to help with lane changes when the traffic gets crazy, as she does for me when I'm in the seat. Comfort will come and will depend on your total time doing it rather than reading books. When your partner is riding copilot have him explain things one at a time to you so you can practice it right then. Things like climbing hills, running snake like mountain roads and even pulling into a fuel stop are easier learned when you do it with help. My only problem with DW's driving the rig now is getting her out of the seat so I can have my turn. We've run over 51,000 miles in the last 30 months so seat time is easy to come by.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote