Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieginger View Post
It looks like I'm stuck with my class A , How hard is it to learn to drive Its a 35 ft and I thought about trading it for a c but I'm upside down sooooo
Can't sell it
Any tips That would be so helpful

Nancy and Kasie dog
One more thing...when you turn left, your rear end will move to the right, and vice versatile. Go slow and keep an eye on your mirrors when going through a gate or past trees.
rvcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #58

Well, flew out from Detroit to Denver and drove my first class A back to Cleveland. By the time I got there, I knew how to drive a class A.

First hundred miles was interesting...
Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #59

Bad Bolt, CONGRATULATIONS on your new rig. Time behind the wheel and practicing the basics will have you in pro status.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post
I spent 42 years driving over the road so when my wife asked what kind of RV I wanted it had to be a 5er. After 6 yrs we decided this spring go to a class A. Purchased a 2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38 PDQ. Driving it is hard for me after all those tears of long nose Peterbilts. I always think I'm to far to left and shade it ti the right which puts my right side tires off the road. Every time we leave it takes me 10 miles to get comfortable again. The advice to slow down and always check behind you before backing is well advised.
Ditto that Neverhome! I am still an O/O going on 35 years of Heavy Hauling, get in the Coach and I'm on my toes....
Old 09-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Greetings:
Also have spent time driving trucks with race trailers to semi's. Was not ready
for my 42ft tour, but most important thing I remembered to use your bulls eye
mirrors to tell you where your wheels are. Make sure your seat is set and steering
wheel comfortable and your mirrors are set properly. Then relax and enjoy your
motorhome.
midgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm.akafun View Post
Bad Bolt, CONGRATULATIONS on your new rig. Time behind the wheel and practicing the basics will have you in pro status.
Thanks. I sure had some fun getting out of the massive shopping mall and industrial complexes that were everywhere. Whew! missed my expressway entrance three times because the signage was so poor to hit the ramp. Circles for about 30 minutes.

Also learned to watch the lane markers on left and right and try to stay centered....BUTTTTTTT....watch for tree overhangs on small roads and streets. Had a few swipes with little branches on the right side.

The worst fear I had was having to back into my parking slot at my sister's place in Ohio...sheer terror, as I got into town around 6 a.m. dawn. Her street is a dead end on the right of a four way cross with the top and bottom of the cross being bent to the right. Almost took out their stop sign and mailbox.

Now, two years later, backing up almost second nature. I'm getting pretty good at it now. Took some time, though. Just take it slow and double check if you have to. People can just wait. One mistake can be $10k and I ain't goin' there...
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
Thanks. I sure had some fun getting out of the massive shopping mall and industrial complexes that were everywhere. Whew! missed my expressway entrance three times because the signage was so poor to hit the ramp. Circles for about 30 minutes.

Also learned to watch the lane markers on left and right and try to stay centered....BUTTTTTTT....watch for tree overhangs on small roads and streets. Had a few swipes with little branches on the right side.

The worst fear I had was having to back into my parking slot at my sister's place in Ohio...sheer terror, as I got into town around 6 a.m. dawn. Her street is a dead end on the right of a four way cross with the top and bottom of the cross being bent to the right. Almost took out their stop sign and mailbox.

Now, two years later, backing up almost second nature. I'm getting pretty good at it now. Took some time, though. Just take it slow and double check if you have to. People can just wait. One mistake can be $10k and I ain't goin' there...
Yep, the second nature means confidence
A helpful tool for keeping in your lane of traffic is the bus drivers' trick. Once you are in a lane of traffic, center your rig by finding the grease strip in the middle of the lane (may be lighter or darker than where the tires normally track). Once you find the strip looking long and with your brain, line up your right foot (accelerator) with the strip. You'll be centered.
Since you want to be checking your mirrors often, while looking in your mirrors you can check your side spacing in the lane.'
Happy trails.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #64

Hi
I had no experience in driving anything bigger than suv. Bought a class a diesel. Driving from dealer to home was very scary and to make things difficult it started pouring. After that started practicing every evening. Also learned lot from YouTube videos. More important was getting confidence in me and that was it.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #65

There are great tutorials online. Also finding the right place to practice helps. My wife drove our coach for the first time in a fairgrounds lot, I posted it here.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #66

Just got back to Utah from bend!!!beautiful country Mahakal!
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm.akafun View Post
Yep, the second nature means confidence
A helpful tool for keeping in your lane of traffic is the bus drivers' trick. Once you are in a lane of traffic, center your rig by finding the grease strip in the middle of the lane (may be lighter or darker than where the tires normally track). Once you find the strip looking long and with your brain, line up your right foot (accelerator) with the strip. You'll be centered.
Since you want to be checking your mirrors often, while looking in your mirrors you can check your side spacing in the lane.'
Happy trails.
For some reason that places me too far right.
If your foot is to the left of the doghouse wouldn't that be the cause? Perhaps it is different in diesels.
Personally what has worked well for me since buying an A is try to drive myself down the left tire groove. If I try to place myself down that left tire divot it seems to center the motorhome pretty well.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OOPSIE!!

We damaged our Bounder Driver side basement door at the gasoline island.
LESSON: get a spotter in close quarters!
Skino47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
For some reason that places me too far right.
If your foot is to the left of the doghouse wouldn't that be the cause? Perhaps it is different in diesels.
Personally what has worked well for me since buying an A is try to drive myself down the left tire groove. If I try to place myself down that left tire divot it seems to center the motorhome pretty well.
Eric. You are absolutely right. You have found something that works for you and that's great. I have heard of people using the windshield divider (at the dash) as a point that is in line with the right edge of the lane. Others have mounted an object on the dash directly in line with the right edge of the lane.
The "bus drivers' trick" is suggested to beginners so they have a reference point and a place to start. Picking a point in the middle of the lane at a distance is key. If one is looking directly at the pavement in front of them, they are not getting a big enough picture. Look long distance, get the big picture and keep your eyes moving.
I use the "bus drivers' trick'' no matter what vehicle I drive. Always confirm my position in the lane with a quick check of the mirrors.
Happy trails
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skino47 View Post
OOPSIE!!

We damaged our Bounder Driver side basement door at the gasoline island.
LESSON: get a spotter in close quarters!
Skin047. Real sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing. Your experience and resolve to use a spotter in close quarters will help others as they read it. You are not the first to have rearranged their prize coach and it emphasizes the tail swing of up to 3' any time you make a turn.
Hope all works out well.

Tags
class a