Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #71

I just completed my first trip in a class A and learned many new things. My comment here is about getting centered in your lane on the interstate.
I found it very easy to let the MH ride in the groove. Changing lanes requires planning and patience to allow enough time and distance for clearance. Never forget your blind spots.
When passing a semi, DW noticed that at times there was very little space between our mirrors and theirs and insisted that I stay to the left in my lane.
I promptly corrected and noticed that requires getting out the groove to put driver's side wheel on the left line. This required extra effort to steer because that pavement is not as smooth and compacted as in the groove. I remembered this discussion about visual guides to use. I noticed that with my hands in the 10 and 2 position, I could visualize the lines like a stair rail and while in the groove, hands felt centered between the rails, To move to the left or right, I steered to where it felt like I was running that hand down the stair rail. The extra focus and effort is worth the added safety and confidence.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ56 View Post
I just completed my first trip in a class A and learned many new things. My comment here is about getting centered in your lane on the interstate.
I found it very easy to let the MH ride in the groove. Changing lanes requires planning and patience to allow enough time and distance for clearance. Never forget your blind spots.
When passing a semi, DW noticed that at times there was very little space between our mirrors and theirs and insisted that I stay to the left in my lane.
I promptly corrected and noticed that requires getting out the groove to put driver's side wheel on the left line. This required extra effort to steer because that pavement is not as smooth and compacted as in the groove. I remembered this discussion about visual guides to use. I noticed that with my hands in the 10 and 2 position, I could visualize the lines like a stair rail and while in the groove, hands felt centered between the rails, To move to the left or right, I steered to where it felt like I was running that hand down the stair rail. The extra focus and effort is worth the added safety and confidence.
Congrats on your new class A. Also, your example is where we all should be...........safety first, 2 hands on the wheel, finding that reference point that works for you, adjusting to what ever situation presents itself and gaining experience and confidence.

dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ56 View Post
I've had mine for two years and haven't passed a semi yet, had plenty pass me though. Must have something to do with my speed
Actually I have been on the Interstate only twice, most of my trips are two lane.
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #74

Beginner's driver's course video by Lazy Days.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #75

And if you would like to spend a day with a professional trainer
RV Basic Training Driving an RV is easy . . . Let us show you how!
I have first hand knowledge of the successes from this experience.

dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a