Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #29
YC1

There are several videos here that are very useful.
If you can get to a Lazy Daze to take the course in person that is even better.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #30

I did the same thing...went from a 26ft class c to a DP. It took me about an hour or 2 of combined city, highway driving to become really fairly comfortable. After that, I loved it. The visibility is amazing from way up there and with that huge wall of front glass, which makes driving, turning and seeing much easier. My DP actually seems to be more maneuverable than my Class C! I don't quite get it other than the front wheels seem to really turn sharply.

The ride and handling of an air suspension system is so much better that it adds to the driving safety and experience.

The quiet of a rear engine compared to a class c gasser is also a big plus for hearing what is going on outside and inside the RV, which makes it safer and more pleasant to drive.

I use the exhaust brake almost all the time. If I slow for a stop, a sharp turn, a downhill, etc. It is awesome and saves life on your service brakes.

Next, the air brakes...wow...they are awesome! They really do work quite well. You have a lot of mass and you must get accustomed to stopping distances but you will be amazed at how well those brakes work. Don't be worried. Just let them build up pressure, check the gauges and go. As has been said, if you lose air pressure the brakes actually engage as a safety feature (ever see a semi with a trailer wheel nearly on fire because he lost air and the brakes engaged?)

Finally, the biggest difference for me and the MOST difficult to get accustomed to was highly unexpected; it was that on my freightliner chassis on my DP the brake pedal is right of center which is not the case on a class C or a car. This led me to push down for the brake where no pedal existed (in the middle) several times until I got accustomed to it. Now that was interesting at my first 4 way stop after leaving the dealership with my DP....

IN short, in my opinion, compared to the class C the DP is mostly easier to drive, more fun, quieter, and safer. You don't need to be afraid. Just go try it out in a safe place like has been said and enjoy!
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #31

Its really just a big ole station wagon.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #32

Since you are sitting in front of the steer wheels it is easy to cut the corner too soon and run over things. Tip I got was to wait till my shoulders were past where I wanted to turn before starting my turn. That helped me avoid running over things with the rear wheels or scraping the side of the motorhome.
ESPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #33

Another problem with sitting so far forward and high is its easy to be too close to the shoulder of the road. If you try and visualize your left foot on the center line of the highway you will be a lot closer to centered in the lane. The old cab over Freightliners were the same way.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDo View Post
Another problem with sitting so far forward and high is its easy to be too close to the shoulder of the road. If you try and visualize your left foot on the center line of the highway you will be a lot closer to centered in the lane. The old cab over Freightliners were the same way.
Wrong foot. When sitting in the driving position. If you visualize a line down through your right foot to the center of the road that will put you in the center of your lane.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Wrong foot. When sitting in the driving position. If you visualize a line down through your right foot to the center of the road that will put you in the center of your lane.
If you visualize your right foot the center of the road, that would put the left 3' of your RV across the center line into the other lane. Maybe the center of your lane, not the center of the road.

At 16 I learned to drive in a Ford station wagon that had a dining room table for a hood. Our other car was a Nash Metropolitan. I also drove a VW bus. It didn't take much thought to adjust for each different vehicle. At 18 I was the only student at our university to be allowed to drive the campus airport limo that was a stretched sedan with 5 doors. Previous student (and staff) drivers had wiped out a couple of doors going around corners. I don't think I'm gifted, but it's not that hard to adjust to the differences in vehicles if you recognize they are different.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #36

Correct. Left foot on the center line of the highway (2 lane) or lane dividing stripe (4 lane or more). Lots of ways to judge where you are in your lane but this is the one I used to get better at the Freightliner back in the day or the DP now. On the older cars that had a hood ornament you usually could sight the hood ornament and line it up with the right edge of the pavement and be pretty close with the right side tires - and not clip any mailboxes. An old high crown 2 lane country road with both lanes 11 feet wide (and no shoulders) always feels tighter than it really is but two semi's or busses going opposite directions are pretty close when mirrors pass each other.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #37

I have been driving trucks since I was 14. I am now 70. The best thing that ever came along was the engine brake for diesels. I left mine on at all times. Helps with all braking. The only time I worried about shutting it off, was icy roads. I just got rid of my diesel pusher for a class A gas. Two complaints, engine noise and engine brake. Otherwise I like my 2018 Winnebago Sightseer better than my last two diesel pushers.
smsawle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you visualize your right foot the center of the road, that would put the left 3' of your RV across the center line into the other lane. Maybe the center of your lane, not the center of the road.

At 16 I learned to drive in a Ford station wagon that had a dining room table for a hood. Our other car was a Nash Metropolitan. I also drove a VW bus. It didn't take much thought to adjust for each different vehicle. At 18 I was the only student at our university to be allowed to drive the campus airport limo that was a stretched sedan with 5 doors. Previous student (and staff) drivers had wiped out a couple of doors going around corners. I don't think I'm gifted, but it's not that hard to adjust to the differences in vehicles if you recognize they are different.
Reference was to the center of your lane not the center of the entire road.

Seeing as how the driver of an 8’ wide motorhome sits to the left of the center of the RV it lines up perfectly to visualize a line from your eyes through your right foot (on the gas pedal) and down to the road. Putting this imaginary line in the center of your lane puts the RV in the center of the lane. Works for an 8’ wide motorhome or a 10’ wide aircraft.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Reference was to the center of your lane not the center of the entire road.

Seeing as how the driver of an 8’ wide motorhome sits to the left of the center of the RV it lines up perfectly to visualize a line from your eyes through your right foot (on the gas pedal) and down to the road. Putting this imaginary line in the center of your lane puts the RV in the center of the lane. Works for an 8’ wide motorhome or a 10’ wide aircraft.
I suspect its not important that you center the aircraft on the lane as I believe everyone else will pull on to the shoulder and let you pretty much drive where you want.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I suspect its not important that you center the aircraft on the lane as I believe everyone else will pull on to the shoulder and let you pretty much drive where you want.
LOL. Good one! Was not on any roads with the aircraft but it certainly helped with staying on the taxiway centerline or the gate centerline.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Airplane fuselage might be 10', but I think the wings require a bit more width will be needed. 757driver name would suggest he drives a Boeing 757, they have a fuselage width of over 12'. He said, "If you visualize a line down through your right foot to the center of the road that will put you in the center of your lane." I didn't.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Seeing 757Driver's nick makes me think how lucky we all are that they don't treat flying like driving RVs.

Imagine driving up to the plane dealership in your Cessna, the biggest plane you've ever flown, doing a deal on that new 757 with the floor plan the DW likes and away you go.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air brakes, brake, brakes, class a