Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Churches have large parking lots and are often very accommodating if asked. Have overnighted at them also.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #16
EV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Sometimes, the security persons will over step their perceived authority.

But it's no use arguing with them about it. I just won't spend my time or money in a place where I've been treated like an out cast.

And maybe then, they have a good reason, so I won't add to their problems either.

DTW
Only have had one negative experience. We stopped at a large Walmart in Las Vegas to get some ice cream and a few groceries. I stayed with the coach in the lot. After a few minutes a surly lot guard screeched up with lights flashing to advise we had to move on immediately. I had just gotten on the phone with wife to add an item to the list and was still on the phone with her when he rapped on the window interrupting the conversation. It was one of those rare moments when the idea flashed before me. I raised my hand, and said excuse me a moment while I finish the conversation with my wife in the store. I then returned to the conversation with her and very loudly advised that we were ordered to leave immediately, so just leave the cart and the ice cream and rush out as I was moving to the store across the street and would meet her there. I then returned to the somewhat astonished lot guard and suggested he get into the store and get the cart emptied and the ice cream back in the cooler before it melted. He yelled, "why didn't you tell me you were shopping in the store?" I replied, "Why didn't you ask?"

I understand that he had a job to do, but apparently had no clue how to do it correctly and operated with assumptions and disregard at the loss of his employer.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
Only have had one negative experience. We stopped at a large Walmart in Las Vegas to get some ice cream and a few groceries. I stayed with the coach in the lot. After a few minutes a surly lot guard screeched up with lights flashing to advise we had to move on immediately. I had just gotten on the phone with wife to add an item to the list and was still on the phone with her when he rapped on the window interrupting the conversation. It was one of those rare moments when the idea flashed before me. I raised my hand, and said excuse me a moment while I finish the conversation with my wife in the store. I then returned to the conversation with her and very loudly advised that we were ordered to leave immediately, so just leave the cart and the ice cream and rush out as I was moving to the store across the street and would meet her there. I then returned to the somewhat astonished lot guard and suggested he get into the store and get the cart emptied and the ice cream back in the cooler before it melted. He yelled, "why didn't you tell me you were shopping in the store?" I replied, "Why didn't you ask?"

I understand that he had a job to do, but apparently had no clue how to do it correctly and operated with assumptions and disregard at the loss of his employer.
Bravo, well handled
Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Read a post from a few years back about an owner with a 45" coach towing and enclosed car trailer. Drove out to visit his Mother. Parked the coach and trailer at the local WalMart, unloaded the car and went and stayed with Mom for a day or two. Never checked in with the store. Return to find the coach gone. Store had no idea what was going on and had the coach and trailer towed. Owner claimed the towing company damaged the coach and he couldn't understand why the store had the rig towed. Let's just say the replies were heated.

Moral of the story check in with the store. Grant several days wasn't a well thought thru plan but still check in and leave contact info if you'll be away from the coach.
Hey was that the same guy that brought the new coach, and as he was traveling down the interstate, set the cruse on and got up, went to the back to make a sandwich.?????
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Bravo, well handled
X2
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
+1

This is one of the key differences between a motorhome and a towable that most folks don't consider in advance. We didn't think twice about leaving the motorhome in a mall/big box parking lot for a few hours. Just disconnect the toad, then fold up and cover the towing gear and park the toad elsewhere - or drive it away. It's inconspicuous, except for its size.

Not so with a towable. If the trailer is dropped, then it is totally obvious that it's been left there. That makes it a target for all kinds of things. As a result, we never unhitch except in a campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I will never leave our coach unattended in a store parking lot without following the basic curtesy Scott has mentioned.

Oh and to ensure we are never turned down, we will do some shopping at that store and approach the manager asking permission while pushing that full basket of what ever.

It's always worked and also leave a card visible on the window with a contact phone number, very important.

Dropping a trailer, well that's a little different, you better have permission first, you better use wide boards under your landing gear, you better use locks.

DTW
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #21

Walmart seems to be the most friendly towards overnight stays. We have used them often but always call first. I have had them tell me that it is against local laws to stay over night. I then ask if they have every heard of anyone getting ticketed.... they say no but we are required to tell you about the no overnight camping law. After that exchange I have been told more than once " No one from our store will tell you to leave". CYA by Walmart. Have a friend who uses large church parking lots.... leaves a donation and note. Foot note: had a state trooper tell me that if the slides are out ....its camping.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #22

Exclamation Shopping center parking

One shopping center guard came out in his little car and walked right up to the center of the front of the coach and banged on it with his night stick. I came unglued and told him to follw me into the store while I got the manager and called the police and my insurance company about any damage he might have caused. He retorted that we couldn't stay there and I blew him off on the way to the manager. Outcome was that we could stay there and we could shop there and if there was any damage they would cover it. Fortunately we found no damage and at the request of the manager the police were not called. Guard had to find another job!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #23

Not in Denver area

Called to inform of our request in sever Walmart's around Denver, to be refused because of local ordinances against prostitution. Denver area up I70 past Aspen, vail and beyond. Don't try it in the Denver area.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Parking lots..

We do it all the time at Walmart. One time in Texas we stopped at a Walmart and Security came as we were getting out and asked if we were shopping or staying. We said both and he said "I like to keep the trucks on this side and the RVs on the other side. If you will follow me I have a spot just for you." We followed and he put us right with the other RVs. (Valet parking) Next morning I counted 21RVs and by ten o'clock they were all gone. Lots of shopping too.

Another time on I95 in NC we stopped and ate supper at Cracker Barrel. I had pulled up with a few other RVs in the parking lot. As we were leaving the manager was at the door talking to people. I asked if it was OK to stay in the lot overnight. He said fine just make sure you are on my property because they will make you leave if you are in the Mall lot. I said thanks. He said you are welcome "see you for breakfast".
Nice people out there...
Old 08-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #25

Farmacist at large

A couple of years ago I stopped at Mall of America in Minneapolis and parked with my full sized pickup and 20 ft camper trailer. My border collie was in the bed of the truck. I went in to buy some lego stuff for my little nephews and when I came back there was quite a ruckus. Security has cordoned off the lot I was in and were bomb-sniffing my rig....I had not seen the signs saying no trailers (I parked next to a pickup and boat) The authorities were pleasant and it was a funny story to tell. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry.

FAL
Old 08-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Additional Suggestion

When you get permission (Walmart, any place) to park, always get the person's name that gave you permission to park, including (if possible) his/her position. When the security person comes knocking on your door, you can quote who gave you permission...... problem solved and everyone's happy.

becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #27

Just last week I was refused parking in two different Walmarts in the Rockford, Illinois and Madison,Wisconsin area. Before that for the last several years had never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #28

We stay the night at Walmart often, never an issue. I have the "Trucker Path" app on the phone, cannot get any easier, it locates the Walmart, provides directions, tells if parking overnight is ok and provides the phone number. I always call for permission, typically they will tell you where they want you to park. Never an issue.

Edit,

I should say we never leave the RV for the day unattended nor stay for the day, just overnight sleeping and leave typically before 8 am.