Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
By flipping this lever.

Attachment 36635
Interesting....I don't have that in my Winnebago journey.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Apparently the thing to do is to start it up as soon as you wake up at 6:30 am in the spot next to me. Run it at high idle until air pressures and water temp are fully up, then let it idle for two hours while you pull in your awning, roll up your patio mat, dump gray and black water, unhook water hoses and wash the windshield. Then pull out of the spot and block the road for 30 minutes while you hook up your toad. Discuss loudly and at length with your DW as you are doing it. If possible, play your toad radio at near max volume while you listen to the news as you hook up. Let idle for another 30 minutes while you wash up and have another cup of coffee. These things burn at least .5 gallons per hour at idle so all this will only cost you about $10 a day, depending on your procedure when you make camp in the evening.

Wow!

I have seen quite a few disgruntled folks here.

You now have the Blue Ribbon!!!

For the peanut gallery, I have never seen anything close to this in any CG, SP or RV Resort we have traveled to.

Great question by the OP, terrible attitude and attempt to hijack by this guy.

You sir, should stay home!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut

Interesting....I don't have that in my Winnebago journey.
May just be a Fleetwood thing. Many variations on a theme for sure.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
LOL John. I just spent 5 months in one campground, couldn't have said it better. In addition to that, we were very close to the entrance office. Never failed, a diesel would pull in (or leave) and let it rattle away for 1/2 hr or more. Day, night or time made no difference. My favorite was evening just after dark with a fire going. Pull in, leave the headlights pointing right at us, leave engine running, go in and BS for an hour. Come out, walk the dog, unhook towd, BS with with other arrivals, ect. Some people just don't think.
More Diesel envy?

5 months in one CG.

Never failed to happen?

4 years + and I have never seen it.

Oh, now I understand as you 2 are from Ohio and Michigan....little bit cold up there. Prudent for the DP's to warm up before they pull out.

Stay out of the cities, they have diesel powered buses everywhere!
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
How do you guys deploy the slides and jacks with the engine running? Doesn't the air need to be dumped to deploy jacks? With the engine running, the air will get pumped up again correct?
Not all................Mine are electric controlled dump valves. When you hit the "Jacks Down" the first part of the sequence the Power Gear levellers do is "Dump" the air (in the bags, not the entire air system). There was a provision for a manual dump switch on mine hidden up under the dash. After contacting Spartan I hooked that up so I can choose to dump air(in the bags) if I wish. Don't know why Fleetwood never put the switch in because the chassis was all pre-wired for it. The way mine is there are very similar characteristics as a full blown highway coach (Prevost, MCI). I've noticed some motorhomes are designed and built like low-end/cookie cutter campers.
Also as many have mentioned about idling the diesel engine, it shouldn't "Idle" it should be bumped up on "High Idle" around 1000 rpm.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING
..... The way mine is there are very similar characteristics as a full blown highway coach (Prevost, MCI). I've noticed some motorhomes are designed and built like low-end/cookie cutter campers.
I'm trying to figure out how these last two sentences fit into the discussion in general and specifically what is low end in the realm of dumping air? Flew over my head but I'm not a particularly tall man.

I do however agree that if I did not have a manual dump lever I would add one. As for a dump air built into the leveler panel - I don't have that and wouldn't add it. Like I said before - there are many variations on a theme - or ways to skin a cat. Not sure these dumping options rise to the level of low-end cookie cutter camper labeling.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a manual dump, and manual levelers, all which can be operated without letting the engine run. Cookie cutter is good.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how these last two sentences fit into the discussion in general and specifically what is low end in the realm of dumping air? Flew over my head but I'm not a particularly tall man.

I do however agree that if I did not have a manual dump lever I would add one. As for a dump air built into the leveler panel - I don't have that and wouldn't add it. Like I said before - there are many variations on a theme - or ways to skin a cat. Not sure these dumping options rise to the level of low-end cookie cutter camper labeling.
Sorry for the comment, but I'm sure some understand what I mean.
As in the kind of dollars a guy spends for one of these units............Lets give it some features.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My friend who builds the turbos says it is better to leave them running but, he is into the big truck side of the business.
The more you idle ( unnecessarily) the more likely you will have to do a manual regeneration. It usually states in the manual not to idle for long. I will idle 3 or 4 minutes until the alternator settles down so I can pull the jacks up, then shut er down to pull the slides in. I don't start it again until I am ready to roll. I slowly idle my way out of the campground as the engine warms up. By the time I get to the open highway its fair game to put a load on the engine.

Shorter answer.... there is no benefit to running your engine while having your picnic.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
.................... I slowly idle my way out of the campground as the engine warms up. By the time I get to the open highway its fair game to put a load on the engine.
If only others operated like you. That's the way I do it also. Most are not in -40 degree weather..........It's summer time. Idle it out of the campground it'll warm up before you need to STAND on it.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I do a walk around @ every stop and then shut it down.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING
Sorry for the comment, but I'm sure some understand what I mean.
As in the kind of dollars a guy spends for one of these units............Lets give it some features.
Well can't argue with that. Just didn't make the connection in the context of air dumping manual vs automatic. Owning a Bounder 325 Turbo DP I'm obviously not in a full blown road warrior rig but it did come equipped with a 2000 watt pure sine magnum and have seen more expensive coaches with less and modified sign for example. I am now adding a Power Master VC 50 and the PI 50 SP - and have read many folks with higher dollar rigs having neither as well. I also did not have battery cutoff switches at the battery - just the in coach "salesman switches". Same story there. Others adding them as well to their rigs. When I asked my Freightliner guy why do they do this? He said they sell what they can make money on, not what ya need. While I didn't buy new - I can almost bet a VC, SP and cutoff switches weren't even available options. And I'd bet the lever to manually dump air wasn't on your option list either. So - yep I get it but don't think it's necessarily a low-end coach thing. Other build quality sure - but the serious mans add ons are apparently overlooked pretty widely. YMMV and thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before I bought the American Dream I had an MCI highway coach. I was going to do a conversion. I bought the coach..................Then did the research and searching for components.
Then I woke up.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
. I am now adding a Power Master VC 50 and the PI 50 SP

What the heck are those, and where do I get one?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel