Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leaving Coach on Jacks for the winter

I just read an article in the December issue of MotorHome mag. In it, the author states "It isn't necessary to store the coach on jacks; in fact, storing a motorhome this way for any period can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing". I have written the author asking him to elaborate on his comment. I live in Maine and am staying home this winter. I store the coach outside with an ADCO cover on it. I can find nothing anywhere that says don't store the coach on the jacks. Does anyone have any information on this topic? I stored mine on the jacks two winters ago and didn't have any problems or issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

Storage

I store mine for the winter with the jacks down. Better for tires and springs IMHO. If a tire lost air over the winter tire could be ruined. I also jack the front of the coach a bit higher to keep any water from running over the front of the coach.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't see the danger. If you spray the exposed 'shiny' parts with an appropriate protectant, I see only an upside to taking the weight off the tires and suspension.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been doing that for many years, 12 with the present one even with the front tires completely off the ground.
Newmar says it's no problem
HWH says it's no problem
Spartan says it's no problem
Reyco Granning says it's no problem
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpavan View Post
...... if you don't know what you're doing".

I think this is the key.... Since the parking brake operates on the rear tires only, they should remain in contact with the ground
Old 11-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you do a search through Irv2, you will find several threads where this topic is discussed in detail. As with many other topics in here, some will say it's okay and others will say it's not. Some think if you leave the jacks down, it will affect the Jack's springs. I leave my fronts down with some blocking underneath the jacks so that they are not fully extended.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

To my knowledge, it is only the exposure of the jack cylinders that can cause a problem. If dirt and corrosion are present when removing from storage the seals can be damaged and cause leaks. So it stands to reason that protecting the jack cylinders with an anti-corrosion film AND cleaning them well before retracting would be okay. The coach weight should be taken off the tires to prevent flat spots. The only other method (for air suspension) besides the jacks would be to block the frame then dump the air letting the blocks take most of the weight. The tires should never hang off the ground as it is bad for the air bags and likely for other components as well.

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I think this is the key.... Since the parking brake operates on the rear tires only, they should remain in contact with the ground
I have heard this many, many times, and I agree with it! That being said, do ya ever wonder why all those coastal homes that are up on stilts (just like jacks) never roll away??
Just wondering, if it is level on the jacks, why would it "roll away".
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkc02 View Post
The tires should never hang off the ground as it is bad for the air bags and likely for other components as well.
Not necessarily!
As I posted earlier:
Newmar says it's OK
Spartan says it's OK
HWH says it's OK
Reyco Granning says it's OK

However: I have taken the effort to find out what I can do. Others can and should clarify it with your various manufacturers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #10

With the MH fully aired up, I put concrete blocks on the ground under each jack and thin packing on the blocks to within 1/2" of the jacks, and then dump the air.

Most of the weight is off the tyres and the jacks aren't extended. Win-win, especially since it might be 2 years before I get back to it.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why worry about it. You can argue both sides equally. Will I hurt the motor home ? People who full time spend a good portion of the year including the winter with their MH on jacks. I have not seen any posts of someone upset because they were a full timer and being on jacks most of the year hurt their suspension. I spent last winter in my MH and will again this year because of work. I go out periodically and spray silicone on my jacks to keep any corrosion away from the shafts.

Will leaving your home on its tires and jacks not down hurt the suspension. Again how many times have you read where someone was upset because they stored their 1995 MH that they bought new with the jacks up and they have suspension problems. Motor Home suspensions are designed to hold up to 30,000 pounds plus of weight driving down the road going from side to side in curbs hitting rough pavement, holes in the pavement etc. How much damage is going to happen with it sitting still not moving.

I store it on jacks to keep tires from being damaged in case one of them goes flat while in storage. That is a pretty good reason. You can actually take jack stands or some blocks and put under the axle so that if they tire goes flat the jack stands catch the weight and keep it from going down and putting stress on the tire.

Bottom line whichever method makes you worry less use.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I emailed Quadra Manufacturing asking this very question in regards to the Bigfoot levelers under my Jayco Greyhawk. Their reply follows:

It would be fine to store the coach on the jacks. If the coach is going to be outside spray the rams with a Teflon spray to keep them nice and shiny.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
But...

"December issue of MotorHome mag. In it, the author states "It isn't necessary to store the coach on jacks; in fact, storing a motorhome this way for any period can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing"."

dezolen, Mr_D, Rkc02, Tony Lee, gemini5362 THERE YOU GO, using experience, common sense, and reason!! Don't you heed the warning "it can be dangerous"?? You're supposed to be afraid for the danger!!! Up on jacks Ebola, or ISIS might attack your vulnerable, jacked up, RV. DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

I also await a reply from the Motorhome author for the danger.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes or No take your pick. Unless there is a specific recommendation from the manufacturer then follow it, mine are up, have been, will be. My tires are fine have been, will be. I'm happy. Make yourself happy. Heads up, tails down, call it in the air.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, winter