Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
leaving Michigan after christmas

before i try and start the d. engine how long should i turn the heater to the motor on. should i have it on now or does it need only a few hours. when should i turn the furnace on? i have a space heater running in it right now just to keep it from getting to cold. I know i should of left Michigan already but not retiring till after christmas. Our first motorhome and we're ready to get started.It's a CC affinity with a 325 Cat in it. Could use some help? Yes it is setting outside getting snowed on, was hoping the weather would hold out but didn't happen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Is your coach outside? I would warm everything up starting 4-8 hours before i was leaving. I see it is below zero this morning in michigan.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you plug in the heater too early there is, depending on the type of heater, some means to control the heat.. For example on my Dad's farm tractor I installed a water heater.. This meant if the engine got too hot the engine thermostat opened and the radiator cooled it off.. So no damage was done (Save to the electric bill) So I'd go with 4-8 hours as Palehorse said.

Also, Leave the house part in the "Winterized" mode.. Carry a five gallon bottle or two (and perhaps a couple of gallon bottles) for water inside the living area for use... When you get far enough south that it's no longer freezing, flush, sanitize and flush again, flush with Baking soda and then fill for use.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
all good advice my question would be how far south
it 16 in east tn right now i thought all this was behind me when i left mi 11 years ago
i want some global warming NOW
brianj
Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the oil, start the engine, head south! It froze inland here in south Florida the last two nights! How far south are ya heading? The only thing you really need to do is attempt to find a comfortable temp for you to drive in. My engine heater sends the warmed antifreeze from an engine that is mounted in the rear of the coach. I sit at the front. Not the warmest place to be when you are driving in the frozen north. Keeping the windshield clear can be troublesome. A dash fan may be in order as well as long johns and hiking boots!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #6

If you are on shore power, just turn the block heater on before you go to bed the night before your trip (assuming you are leaving in the am).

Otherwise, a couple of hours prior to departure should make the engine oil warm enough to flow easily and start just like it is summertime.

You can turn the furnace(s) on at anytime. Best to do it before you depart to make sure that ignition has taken place. Then just keep the furnace on while you are rolling down the road until you reach a warmer climate.

Congratulations on your retirement and your Country Coach!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

We too will be leaving after Christmas but from central Indiana. The coach has been witerized with the pink antifreeze, unheated and parked next to our house. I will turn on two 1,500 watt electric heaters on full and set the two propane furnaces for 50 two days before we leave, because we need to put back in all the freezable items and our clothes. Last thing the night before we leave, I turn on the block heater if the weather low temp will be 40 or below.

We carry jugs of water about 6 gal. We go to Arizona; therefore, after checking weather conditions ahead, we will partially fill the freash water tank when we camp at the Oklahoma-Texas line. I can flush out the anifreeze and dump.

If you have iternet access while traveling, I suggest checking the web site: www.weatherbonk.com. I have found their weather forcasts for our route to be very accurate. One quirk is that they assume you will travel straight through without stops. But you can break up your route and set start delay of 1,2 or more days. For 4 years I have been able to go through Flagstaff, AZ to get to Phoenix area with out fear of weather problems. If I have to go through El Paso, the trip is 280 miles longer.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
We too will be leaving after Christmas but from central Indiana. The coach has been witerized with the pink antifreeze, unheated and parked next to our house. I will turn on two 1,500 watt electric heaters on full and set the two propane furnaces for 50 two days before we leave, because we need to put back in all the freezable items and our clothes. Last thing the night before we leave, I turn on the block heater if the weather low temp will be 40 or below.

We carry jugs of water about 6 gal. We go to Arizona; therefore, after checking weather conditions ahead, we will partially fill the freash water tank when we camp at the Oklahoma-Texas line. I can flush out the anifreeze and dump.

If you have iternet access while traveling, I suggest checking the web site: www.weatherbonk.com. I have found their weather forcasts for our route to be very accurate. One quirk is that they assume you will travel straight through without stops. But you can break up your route and set start delay of 1,2 or more days. For 4 years I have been able to go through Flagstaff, AZ to get to Phoenix area with out fear of weather problems. If I have to go through El Paso, the trip is 280 miles longer.
I just tried the link, it brought up the route, but did not show any weather. Am I doing something incorrect?
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #9

Using Weatherbonk.com

After getting into their web site, select the Trip Planner tab. When that tab opens, on the left side is a box to enter your departing city in place of USA, when you want to start, and destination. Please remember that they assume that you will travel straight through. When we travel to AZ, for the departing day, I use a destination of Springfield, MO. Then I plan another trip from Springfield, MO to Texola, Oklahoma using a 1 day delay in departure. Then I plan another from Texola to Albuquerque with a 2 day delay in departure; and then Albuquerque to Flagstaff with 3 day delay. If I use Phoenix, I wouldn't get the weather at Flagstaff. Because of the 7,000 elevation at Flagstaff, I know that Flagstaff is a critical location to get accurate weather. This may seem awakward, but I have used this system the day before we depart, and 5 days later the weather prediction was accurate within 6 hours. I do have internet access while on the road, so I check for changes each day to see if there are any changes.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #10

My owners manual says to plug in/turn on the block heater overnight, and it doesn't hurt to leave it on all the time except for the electricity used. As for the furnace, turn it/them on and get the coach toasty before traveling. We use the furnaces on while traveling if thats what it takes to stay as warm as the DW wants it to be. The extra propane used to stay warm is just the cost of doing business.