Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We never leave our electric heater on and we always shut off the campground water.
Same here.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We never leave our electric heater on and we always shut off the campground water.
Especially the water part.........everytime we leave the Coach!
Why? Read to many stories on here about being gone and water running out of the basement doors..........

Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
What about when you leave your dogs in the coach? And I would assume the furnaces are perfectly safe... surely
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
What about when you leave your dogs in the coach? And I would assume the furnaces are perfectly safe... surely
Do you leave your dogs at home with the furnace on? Nothing is perfectly safe. Homes burn up every day, as do RVs, cars, pickups and trucks. Life is a risk. Just ask Boeing, brand new airliners catch on fire too. Anything with a battery or electrical wiring in it is prone to fire.Homes burn up every day with people in them. The twin towers in NYC burned up with people in them. You can run, but you can't hide!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yikes, and a meteor could land right on me too
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Yikes, and a meteor could land right on me too
No, your more likely to have a Katrina type hurricane wash you out to sea. It's tornadoes we have to worry about up here.Half of Colorado burned up last year, the other half flooded!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I would never leave a space heater unattended at home or in the MH. Never considered the water though. Thanks, water will be off in the future.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

We use space heaters at night to avoid the loud furnace running but we never leave them on when we leave but rather rely on our heat pump.

There really is no logic to this approach because (as others have pointed out) I'd much rather a fire start when I'm gone than when I'm sleeping... but it's what we do.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Broken water line the cause.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I would never leave a space heater unattended at home or in the MH. Never considered the water though. Thanks, water will be off in the future.
Owners not home, left water supply on........broken line
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv flood.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	53216  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post

If you can't trust them when your gone, why trust them when your there and they can burn you up. If something is going to burn, I don't want to be there. They make RVs everyday, alway nice to get a new one. Just keep the insurance paid up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

We use space heaters at night to avoid the loud furnace running but we never leave them on when we leave but rather rely on our heat pump.

There really is no logic to this approach because (as others have pointed out) I'd much rather a fire start when I'm gone than when I'm sleeping... but it's what we do.

Rick
Guys,

I disagree. This is R HOME and I try to protect it as best I can.

I would rather be home if there was going to be any problem with anything, fire, water, electricity, etc.

I totally trust myself and the devices that are running while I am home. I do not trust some of them while I am away. I try to make sure that I will have a home to come home to when I arrive.

For an example, the ceramic space heaters that put out 1500 watts of heat on high which is the topic of this discussion, if my Golden Retriever were to accidentally knock one over and the face of the heater was aimed at the wood floor in our living room or the carpet in our bedroom, it wouldn't take much to start either of those materials on fire. If it happened while home, within seconds the potential fire hazard would be dealt with.

I realize that fires and accidents can and do happen all the time HOWEVER, I will go the extra mile attempting to mitigate the possibility of them happening to me.

The Monaco Windsor is R HOME and I want to keep it that way until I can find a place to settle down again with a double-wide for the winter and use R HOME for the summer months.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #25

[QUOTE=RickO;1871124]We use space heaters at night to avoid the loud furnace running but we never leave them on when we leave but rather rely on our heat pump./QUOTE]

That's what we do, but I have no problem leaving our space on when we are gone. They shut off automatically if they tip over or high heat is detected so I don't see a problem.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
If we are going out to a store or where ever just for a few hours then yes the heaters are on, especially since right now the temps at nite are close to freezing. The water stays on too. If on the other hand we are going to be gone longer than 36 hours then things are turned off.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #27

We also leave the Norcold on. It hasn't been shut off since the day we bought the rig over a year and a half ago. I love my Norcold. We even sleep in the rig with it running.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #28

Infared heaters are much more safer and efficient than the older space heaters. We use one as our primary heat source while sleeping in the RV on cold nights. It is quiet and very comfortable. We travel at various times during the winter so we do not fully winterize with antifreeze. We drain, blow out the lines and leave the infared heater on low all the time when it is below freezing. It's getting down to 6 tonight an -9 tomorrow.

Fred & Cindy
South Central Missouri

Tags
heater