Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Infared heaters are much more safer and efficient than the older space heaters.
Do not be led to believe one electric space heater is more efficient than another one. It simply is not true.

All electric heaters are 100% efficient at converting electricity into heat.

Safety is another issue - and it is true that some of the new designs are safer than heaters we used
at home 30+ years ago.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Do you leave your dogs at home with the furnace on? Nothing is perfectly safe. Homes burn up every day, as do RVs, cars, pickups and trucks. Life is a risk. Just ask Boeing, brand new airliners catch on fire too. Anything with a battery or electrical wiring in it is prone to fire.Homes burn up every day with people in them. The twin towers in NYC burned up with people in them. You can run, but you can't hide!
I think that utilizing a tragedy where innocent men, women and children were murdered as an example of how accidental fires can start is very poor taste. I for one would appreciate if a monitor removed your post as I perceive it to be a political statement. I would also point out that the post is about accidental fires. I believe that there was nothing accidental about the twin towers fire.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I think that utilizing a tragedy where innocent men, women and children were murdered as an example of how accidental fires can start is very poor taste. I for one would appreciate if a monitor removed your post as I perceive it to be a political statement. I would also point out that the post is about accidental fires. I believe that there was nothing accidental about the twin towers fire.
A fire is a fire, weather accidental or arson, a fire set by someone else, like the twin towers fires. I didn't feel good mentioning it, but it was a fire, by arson none the less. Arson happens every day all over the world. The towers was one of the greatest tragedies of my lifetime. It broke my heart. I will not bring up politics on the forum, like you are, as its not allowed.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #32

I removed oil heaters from our S&B after one nearly caught on fire in one of the bed rooms. Plug and outlet melted. It was probably set on the 1,500 watt setting.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can anyone recommend a specific infrared?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
A fire is a fire, weather accidental or arson, a fire set by someone else, like the twin towers fires. I didn't feel good mentioning it, but it was a fire, by arson none the less. Arson happens every day all over the world. The towers was one of the greatest tragedies of my lifetime. It broke my heart. I will not bring up politics on the forum, like you are, as its not allowed.

I said I think your reference is a political statement. Call that politics if you want. This thread was a poster getting information about leaving space heaters on in a motor home that was not occupied. I assume he is trying to decide whether the relative risk if he decides to do that. Comments about arson and terrorist activities are not related to his question. When someone makes a post that is not germane to the subject and it is about a political act I wonder why.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We use 2 ceramic heaters in our 5th wheel when we're RVing, and when it's in covered storage in cold weather, we take advantage of the 30A service in the storage bay to run the 2 ceramic heaters on the 750 watt settings. We've been doing this for 13 years with no problems so far. I only drain the water heater and fresh water tanks and water supply lines if it's going to be in the low 20's or lower for more than 8 hours or so.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I think the OP didn't ask then entire question based on posts.....let's see.

Should I leave the electric space heater on in MH while unattended, but while occupied by cat, dog or other pet is that is inclined to turn over said heater, and heater is coil element type set on high that is positioned on a carpeted surface, or a small pile of kindling wood I keep on hand, and the tip over switch is malfuctioning?

Seems that every possible negative outcome is presumed here. Seems folks are of the mind that the worst possible outcome is what they anticipate will happen. Think next trip I will put 120 psi in all tires, stop every 10 miles and re-check air pressure, wear my seatbelt and wrap up in bubble wrap, leave all propane appliances off, even while not fueling, keep flashers on at all times, keep radio off so as not to be distracted, while driving 30 on freeways and 15 on surface roads, at night use blankets and sleeping bags instead of dangerous heaters, keep antenna down to avoid lightning strikes, have motor home covered in aluminum foil to keep out damaging rays, bring radon detector to check campground prior to setting up, not use shore power or water to avoid any possible surges, and potential water leaks, and keep shades down and lights off to avoid "knockers". There I think that covers it, NOW WE'RE CAMPING!!

To seriously answer the OP question, I do that all the time, see very little risk, my heater has thermostat, tip switch, high temp shut off and is hooked to a circuit breaker protected outlet. I think the risk is infinitesimally small. Amazes me the same folks are perfectly OK with propane fired furnace running instead.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Can anyone recommend a specific infrared?

This thread really has me thinking about space heaters now. I use various types. I have posted about using oil filled heaters in bathrooms I still like there use in a wet area because all of the element is sealed. However if we have grandchildren over when they take a bath we unplug them because the outer surface gets hot enough to burn.

I use the 6 tube infrared heater that Walmart sells in the MH. I like that unit and it puts out quite a bit of heat but when I was reading more about them I noticed one article says that they only heat objects up not the air. Mine has a fan so it does heat some air that blows over it. I am really not sure if the oil filled heater would not do a better job of heating I know I can put it in a bedroom in the stick house and it will heat the whole bedroom and get it pretty toasted. The bedroom though has a lot better insulation than the motor home has and a lot better windows also. Space wise the bedroom might be a bit bigger. The oil filled heater might work better and it is a lot cheaper I really do not know. The only problem once again is that the oil filled heater gets very hot on the surface. If it were to get knocked over on the carpet I do not know if it is hot enough to start a fire. They are pretty narrow and pretty tall so I would think getting knocked over could be a problem.

To answer your question. I like the infrared heater wal mart sells:
Source Green Heat Delux Six Element Heater: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com

They are completely correct about the cool surfaces. Mine ran all night last night on high and the room never got warm enough to have the thermostat shut the unit down. When I got up this morning the sides were totally cool to the touch.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Guys,

I disagree. This is R HOME and I try to protect it as best I can.

I would rather be home if there was going to be any problem with anything, fire, water, electricity, etc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I hear you Richard, and it makes sense.

The only problem is having a problem (like a fire) break out while we're sleeping and having our path to the door blocked. I don't look forward to having to get out of that emergency exit window in the bedroom.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post

Should I leave the electric space heater on in MH while unattended, but while occupied by cat, dog or other pet is that is inclined to turn over said heater, and heater is coil element type set on high that is positioned on a carpeted surface, or a small pile of kindling wood I keep on hand, and the tip over switch is malfuctioning?

Seems that every possible negative outcome is presumed here. Seems folks are of the mind that the worst possible outcome is what they anticipate will happen. Think next trip I will put 120 psi in all tires, stop every 10 miles and re-check air pressure, wear my seatbelt and wrap up in bubble wrap, leave all propane appliances off, even while not fueling, keep flashers on at all times, keep radio off so as not to be distracted, while driving 30 on freeways and 15 on surface roads, at night use blankets and sleeping bags instead of dangerous heaters, keep antenna down to avoid lightning strikes, have motor home covered in aluminum foil to keep out damaging rays, bring radon detector to check campground prior to setting up, not use shore power or water to avoid any possible surges, and potential water leaks, and keep shades down and lights off to avoid "knockers". There I think that covers it, NOW WE'RE CAMPING!!

To seriously answer the OP question, I do that all the time, see very little risk, my heater has thermostat, tip switch, high temp shut off and is hooked to a circuit breaker protected outlet. I think the risk is infinitesimally small. Amazes me the same folks are perfectly OK with propane fired furnace running instead.
You probably do not need the radon detector with the amount of clearance between the vehicle and the ground I do not think an appreciable amount of radon even if it is there would enter the vehicle in an amount to be dangerous.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I hear you Richard, and it makes sense.

The only problem is having a problem (like a fire) break out while we're sleeping and having our path to the door blocked. I don't look forward to having to get out of that emergency exit window in the bedroom.

Rick
Rick I know lowes has them I have not looked anywhere else but I am sure they are available on line. You can get smoke detectors that are battery powered and wireless linked together. If one goes off then they all go off. I have one in my power bay and my storage bays. One in the living area and one in the bedroom. If you get a fire in the power bay or storage area having the alarm in your bedroom area go off can give you a little extra time to vacate before your living room becomes an inferno.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post

That's funny and I was thinking along the same lines. I don't know what kind of flooring or carpet made in the last 20 years or so would ignite after a ceramic heater was knocked over and stopped blowing but.....

Just put the darn heater in one side of the sink with the faucet over the other. If something goes wrong then, it was just your time to suffer a catastrophe.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use one of these in the wet bay http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-EH-3.../dp/B0000DGA8P

Tags
heater