Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
LED

Sorry for not getting back but Wife lost her Mother and have alots of estate issue to clear up. I will be starting on LED 101 or what ever sounds good with instruction and places to get led's at resonable price. I am thinking of starting on cargo bays first? Will try to have the first phase out by Feb. For all that are interested please drop a line or stay tune for LED AS YOU GO.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #16

I have also convert, especially the Fire Hazard Hot Halogen Puck lights. I posted results and some source in a thread I started in Product Evaluation -- Halogen Puck Light Bulb Replacement

JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5010 View Post
Sorry for not getting back but Wife lost her Mother and have alots of estate issue to clear up. I will be starting on LED 101 or what ever sounds good with instruction and places to get led's at resonable price. I am thinking of starting on cargo bays first? Will try to have the first phase out by Feb. For all that are interested please drop a line or stay tune for LED AS YOU GO.
Sounds great. I boondock half the time and have thought about updating all the 12v lights to LED to reduce the battery drain.
I have about 18 overhead lights, 4 wall mount fixtures, two florescent light fixtures, and about 12 basement lights. Long term I want to replace all these with LEDs. It sounds like I can just replace the bulbs with LED bulbs in all the fixtures without having to replace the entire fixture, I understand putting LEDs in the florescent fixtures may be a bit more work.
Right now it seems like the best price for the LED bulbs I saw is about $10 for a 2 pack. Will look forward to seeing a thread on sources for lower price LED ideas.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We just started our LED conversion recently. I'd read alot of stories about LEDs being dimmer and about being careful to make sure they have regulation to handle the varying voltages in the RV so it took a while for us to choose. So far we've only replaced a few of our G4 halogens (ceiling accent lights) and we're very happy with the results.

I bought mine from LED Wholesalers through Amazon. We chose the *warm* white 10 SMD version and were amazed to find they were brighter than our original 10watt halogens. In fact they approx. match a select few 20watt that we have. They are also very, very slightly whiter but not significantly so. These are the ones we bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Q9...6047182&sr=8-1

For the next set we're trying some of the 6 SMD just to dim the light a tad for some of our more decorative lights. I definitely recommend warm white color if you want to match the originals. Regular and "white" LEDs can have a slightly blue cast.

I've heard good things about a couple of other companies including Superbright LEDs and LED Trailer Lights.

Anyone find any decent 1383 replacements?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #19

I read this thread and got excited. I love to boondock and am always turning off lights in the coach (its my OCD having a field day).

I just hit E-Bay and after alot of research purchased 12 LED bulbs to try.
8 with 12 LED's and 4 with 24 LED's all type 1156 to replace the 1141 bulbs I currently have. The 12's to replace standard fixtures such as the head, and the 24 to replace the spots over the bed and in the lounge and kitchen. And the porch light so I can leave it on at night.

I avoided all the really cheap Hong Kong Venders and the really expensive US Venders and went with a place called LED Connection which is supposed to be in Texas. Prices were reasonable at 2 lights per card for $6 and $10 respectively, shipping was minimal and free with a larger order.
Total under $50.00.

If I like these then I will replace all my lights with LED's. Not that I need to but it just feeds my save power OCD.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stogie, let me know what you find out on those 12 and 24 LED 1156 bulbs. Are those for the taillights or interior lights?

From what I have found out I don't think it makes a difference if you buy the bulbs directly from China and cut out the middle man or from Texas or one of the expensive places. I think they are all equally made bulbs and all from China.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
You know....I hate to say it, but I would pay 5 times as much to have a product built in America or Canada....
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

No arguement out of me. Was just at the Kroger foodstore and I noticed a dolly piled high with boxes of frozen Perch, Tillapia, and shrimp. Evey bit of it from China.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
No arguement out of me. Was just at the Kroger foodstore and I noticed a dolly piled high with boxes of frozen Perch, Tillapia, and shrimp. Evey bit of it from China.
I saw those too but they would not fit in my light sockets, I think they were AC seafood.
(LOL sorry but could not resist hitting on the threadjack, all in fun.

I plan on finding the best match for all my inside incandescents, the flourescents don't use much amperage anyway and the basement lights are only on when I am down there, besides I need somewhere to use all the spares I will have.

I avoided the china sites because I was unsure of their shipping policy and they had no return, besides last time I purchased from a Hong Kong site it took me 2 months to get the product. My US purchased led's shipped yesterday and the price with shipping was not much more than the Hong Kong site..
Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Led 101

LED 101

OK here it goes:
First of all let is talk about Ledís. These semiconductors have been around a long time but with the technical advances that have been made in the last 5 years they are getting better and cheaper. Look at your TVís!
Most Ledís with all the manufacturing being done in an overseas country like China, Japan, and twain. You can get US ledís but they will be quite expensive compared to China or Japan. Quality is about the same if you look for the companies that sell them are probably getting them from the same manufacture. As that is said now it is your choice where you buy them and how much you are will to pay for them.
Sources are many now and some of the oneís that I use are here in the USA, also the info you need and picture they supply are a great, even cross referencing.
I have been in the electrical and electronic field around 40 years so that is my experience with many areas of experimenting and tinkering.

LED 101A

Now we will go to the nuts and bolts of the led and installation|K
I am attaching a general file that will have a lot of info from illustrated fixture that you probably have in your coach or trailer. Most will have many cargo lights, spot lights, and some kind of ceiling lights.
SO WRAP YOUR HANDS AND MINDS AROUND THIS FIRST OF SERIES AS I WILL START ON THE NEXT ONE SOON.
There is a lot of info that I see on the post that can help as to the ones that have started doing it already. Great job
Click image for larger version

Name:	12Auto.png
Views:	114
Size:	603.5 KB
ID:	7985

Name:	Automation.png
Views:	104
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	7986

Name:	Cross1.png
Views:	108
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	7987

Name:	Cross2.png
Views:	115
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	7988

Name:	Cross3.png
Views:	100
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	7989

Name:	DomeLites.png
Views:	100
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	7990

Name:	G4adaptors.png
Views:	101
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	7991

Name:	G4Mod.png
Views:	113
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	7992

Name:	Info1.png
Views:	99
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	7993

Name:   JC-10 bulb.png
Views: 508
Size:  22.4 KB
Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #25

Are the interior LED's dimmable? All my interior lights (halogens) are on hi/lo switches. One fellow I ran into said he bought some LED's and couldn't dim them.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think if you check around you can dim the leds, the High/Low switch may work or not. They do make dimmers that are for led's and you can even add remotes|!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LED lights..

Lighting: Depends a LOT on where you buy them.. Some of them are as bright or brighter than the original Incandescent lamp however I warn you no matter how bright.. There is a DIFFERENCE to the quality of the light.

Power.. Serious savings... Like 75-90 percent