Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Led all the way

I have just about replaced all OEM lights with LED's. Wow what a difference in the power usage and lighting is just as good if not better and have added more accent lighting for night with dimmer controls. Even the conversion of the florescent is working great. Now you can have warm white or bright white. Has any one done the same? If so how did you like it. My next project will be replacing the outside running light and marker lights. The dock lights will also be replaced.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I hope you bought stock in the LED company. I plan to switch mine over, in time, starting with the under counter lights that are right next to the temp sensor for the main living area thermostat. Dumb place to put the sensor, it picks up a lot of heat from the lights.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seriously thinking of doing the same thing. What do you do about the short florescent overhead lights? Are there direct replacement LED bulbs for these?
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've replaced several overhead fixtures with LED bulbs. We would like to do the whole coach, but the buggers are expensive so we're doing it in stages, starting with the most used fixtures. We put in bright white bulbs & couldn't be happier. The light is much better for reading, power usage is practically nil & they don't get hot like the ones do that came with the coach.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:28 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please research the "Marker/Running Light LED" issue. I heard at The Rally in Louisville at an LED lecture (yes, given by one of the LED dealers) that the entire fixture, not just the bulb, needs to be replaced to be legal in some municipalities. You say you replaced the lights so I don't know if you mean just the bulbs or plan on complete fixture upgrade.
BTW, I was pulled over and almost ticketed in PSL, Fla. for lack of brake and turning lights by an officer that viewed the CRV from a side angle. Once I showed him all lights were indeed functional, and very bright when viewed directly from the rear he let me go. He did point out how, even though the LED's were all sold as direct replacements for the OEM bulbs, they did not light up the complete fixture like the originals.
It was an expensive lesson that could have been worse.

Good Luck and Stay safe.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
For the 12" fluorescent lights I used the strip lights with 3m tape on the back. I removed the lamps and for now just disconnected the power lead to the transformer. I will now after testing the workings of the the LED's and brightness take the guts out of the light. All you need is the housing and lenses. You can also put as many strips as you need for as much light as you want. You will need to solder leads on the strips after you cut them to the length you need. They look nice.
There are many places that you can get the LED's and you have to pick the right ones that are called super bright by how many LED's are on the replacement lamp and the degree of light disbursement or angle. The strip lights come in up to 5 meters and can be cut to fit your position.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
OK.....nobody's talking about where you purchased your interior replacement bulbs or whole fixtures. Care to share?
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Kinzer Enterprises, PMB8100 P.O.Box 2428 Pensacola, FL 32513 602-738-6231, Ralph & Sandy. They're nearly always at the larger RV rallies. Unfortunately, they don't have a website yet.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have replaced 12 of my interior lights so far. I bought most of mine from Star Lights at the Indio FMCA Rally and Quartzsite. The Revolution 250 lumen natural light bayonet lights put out an incredible amount of natural light. They are pricey but the reduction in power usage is also incredible. I have 15 more to replace but they will have to wait. The Star Lights have built in voltage regulators and are not polarity sensitive. Some of the lights are shown at Interior/ Porch LED lighting - Star Lights, Inc.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Is there an advantage to changing the fluorescents? I thought they were pretty energy frugal already...?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Is there an advantage to changing the fluorescents? I thought they were pretty energy frugal already...?
19A for the 3 or 4 small fluorescent fixtures in the Alfa Im working on. And not THAT much light
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did the very same - replaced every interior light
However no plans to replace the running lights
They are only on when the alternator is running so no big deal with power draw

Be careful there are several vendors that sell "Cheap" junk and charge a lot of money for the LEDs - Don't waste your money on the junk

Part of a document I did after a major upgrade to the coach - New Solar system, etc.

The total cost was around $250.00 for all the LEDs and fixtures

"Power demand of the electrical lighting was reduced to a point where it is no longer of any concern. All interior and most exterior incandescent bulbs were power hungry #1141 or #1156 bayonet base bulbs. They were all replaced with pin compatible LED’s. My TriMetric 2025-RV showed each individual incandescent bulb drew about 2amps while the same intensity “lumen output” pin compatible LED draws =<200ma. An additional benefit was that all heat related issues were eliminated. "
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I am testing different types of 1157 bulbs for my taillights right now. I bought some that had 42 LEDs in them but they are not as bright as my stock lamps. You can see what the 42 LED look like below. The idea was it would fill the inside of the reflector with lots of light. Didn't like them so I am going to try the 24 LED (see picture below) because these focus all the light more like a flashlight directly out the back. Something I learned is that the color of the LED bulb has to match the color of the tail lense. Amber LED for a amber lense and red for red or thinngs change to pink. The other thing I have learned is that all the LED bulbs are made in China and basically use the same LED. A $5 led is the same as a $30 LED. I will take a picture of the back of my MH after and get the 24 LED bulbs in and show you all what a 42 and a 24 look like compared to a stock bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42 LED.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	7876   Click image for larger version

Name:	24 LED.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	7877  

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #14

for my interior lights i replaced (12) 1141 bulbs with the 68 md led's ...cost was $57.48 delivered
1141 draws 1.44 amps @ 12.8 v 264 lumens
68 smd led's draws .27 amps @ 12.8 v 304 lumens .. do the math...
the 1141's run super hot with a yellow reflection thru the lens, whereas the led's are nice cool and with a white reflection
the led' look identical to the pictures shown by Mike Cantor only with 68 smd's and made in china (where else)?

peter d
09 tiffin allegro red
my toad..nearest enterprise car rental