Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #1

LED clearance light help!! fleetwood bounder

I bought some LED M9 clearance lights honestly without doing the research I should have. Opened the clearance light on our 94 Bounder to find a lighting mount that uses "posts" to power the light. The lights I bought have a power and ground wire. Anyone have any info on the wiring behind these posts? How to mount and wire the new? Or if these won't work what I could use?? We want to upgrade the lighting because the old setup is worn out and lights don't always light.
BOUNDER45601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you remove the base from the coach you will find wires on the back side. those are what you connect to the new lights wires.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

there are no wires..the power comes from the posts
Old 04-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That base that your showing us the picture of needs to be removed and underneath you will find two wires going to it. Obviously the posts have to get power from somewhere and that somewhere is two wires underneath the base in the picture.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #6

Pull the base with the posts and you will find the wires.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah, you may have to do some soldering but what has been mentioned you will need to remove the old light, etc. These look what Wal*Mart has back in the automotive dept. They had these in LED's or the regular bulb like you show both in amber and red. This is what I had to do when I replaced mine. The white plastic that you insert the bulb just basically deteriorates and they do not make a good contact. I believe the LED's cost around $7-$8.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

Thanks guys. Just to be clear I removed the base and there are no wires behind it. The wires must be behind and attached to the posts inside the body.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

If I'm understanding you correctly, your post are molded into the cap. There are no holes in the cap that you can put your finger through?

Those would be pass through studs, the back looks like the front. With a nut holding the wire on.

If so, to upgrade you may half to drill a hole to fish the wires out of the cap. Unless you comfortable cutting the stud flush and soldering a wire on.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

Yes PDR John, you are correct. The posts are molded to the cap and thats how they power the light. There are no wires on the outside of the cap. Would I be able to pull the posts out and get to the wire?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think you could. Maybe the stud has a nut on it to hold it through the cap? If not maybe use a hole saw that is slightly larger than the stud, put it over the stud and drill it out. The hole left in the cap can be used to pull the wires through the cap to hook up the new light.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNDER45601 View Post
Yes PDR John, you are correct. The posts are molded to the cap and thats how they power the light. There are no wires on the outside of the cap. Would I be able to pull the posts out and get to the wire?

I think you'd still have to drill a hole to keep the wire from falling behind the cap.

On our '03 Fleetwood I could see the marker light wires after removing the TV. If you can do that, it would help a lot.

When I had to fix the lights on the rear cap, I end up running a new ground wire. The old one had broken off and fell down. I would have had to cut the cap off to find the wire.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are these posts/studs threaded? Also do the new lights you purchased have the same bolt spacing so that they will fit over your existing posts. Since both of these posts are wired for + and -, I'd just crimp a ring tongue wire connector the black with screw it down on the post. It looks like that may be how it is wire already on the black wire if the photo you attached is your light. Should be able to do the same for the white wire. Maybe we are trying to make this a lot harder than it needs to be. You certainly do not want the wires to drop back down inside the cap.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Are these posts/studs threaded? Also do the new lights you purchased have the same bolt spacing so that they will fit over your existing posts. Since both of these posts are wired for + and -, I'd just crimp a ring tongue wire connector the black with screw it down on the post. It looks like that may be how it is wire already on the black wire if the photo you attached is your light. Should be able to do the same for the white wire. Maybe we are trying to make this a lot harder than it needs to be.
Yea the light slides right over but unfortunately the posts are not long enough to attach a wire and the nut. It appears the LED are just a fraction thicker

Tags
bounder, fleetwood