RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

LED Headlight Bulb Replacement

Greetings:
I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I make any missteps, I will learn.

We own a 2018 Forest River Berkshire XL 37A, purchased new as a model year leftover a year ago. I recently discovered that the low beam headlight bulb (a Halogen H9) on the passenger side is out. At best, the OEM bulbs give very poor lighting, I would not be comfortable driving the coach at night. I read elsewhere in this forum that it is best to replace the OEM bulbs with LED's. However, I recently purchased a set of LED bulbs through Amazon (SEALIGHT H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs X1 Series 12 CSP Chips 6000LM 6000K Xenon White Non-polarity) that I discovered only work on the high beam setting. Is there another bulb specification that I should be using? It isn't clear in the descriptions as to whether bulbs are high/low or what. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Wes A

Wes A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Welcome to the forum, Wes A

I'm no expert on headlights but isn't an H11 (and H8/H9) bulb low beam only?

But even so, that doesn't explain why they are coming on only on your high beam setting. If you swapped your old bulbs, which you indicate are H11 or H8/H9 all of which are single beam, with the new bulbs and ballasts, then it's odd they are not functioning similarly to how your old bulbs functioned.

I'm not familiar with your headlight assembly but normally, I believe that if you have an H11 low beam, then there is a separate bulb for high beam ...usually a 9005 (or hb3). This is called a "single beam" set-up. Other headlight assemblies could use a "dual beam" configuration where one bulb will have filaments for both low and high beam (see illustration).

But if the original bulbs you're replacing are H11 or H8/H9, then you will have a "single beam" configuration and will have separate bulbs for low and high.

I'm just guessing here. I'm sure the experts will chime in on why the new kit is behaving in the manner you describe and will be more helpful in troubleshooting your problem.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Single Beam vs Dual Beam.png
Views:	13
Size:	673.7 KB
ID:	269258  

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #3

LED Headlight Bulb Replacement

Thank you for the welcome and thanks also for your response, theroc.

The OEM bulbs are a high/low DUAL BEAM type, as your thumbnail shows. It seems I purchased the wrong type. When I first explored the different types of LED H9 bulbs, it wasn't clear to me which bulbs were appropriate. However looking again I see that there are others that are described as "high/low", my mistake. At least I did notice when the replacement bulbs came on (high beam only), they are significantly brighter and whiter than the OEM bulbs, so this is definitely a worthwhile change.

Thanks again for your response. I look forward to taking part in this forum, it is a great resource with many great people! But then, that's part of RV'ing, I've never met a nicer group of people!
Old 12-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two ways of setting up headlights. One is called a reflector because the bulb no matter what kind is shined rearward onto reflective surfaces inside the housing. The other method actually uses a lens to focus the bulbs light like a camera lens.

Watch this video and learn a bunch!!!

Here's a link to a very good video explaining the differences.

I got a set of LED bulbs and did not rotate them correctly and that resulted in lights that were bright but worse than the Ford stock bulbs. I never drove it at night until last year coming back from a trip to Canada. The guys wanted to drive through so we drove at night and they were awful. The running light were brighter and more focused.

I called the company and they said to rotate them 180 degrees. That didn't work either so I tried 45 degrees and the pattern is better but I still have not driven them at night.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Adding LED's to a lens that uses halogen bulbs will provide NO improvement. As you stand in front of your coach, there will be bright light everywhere (scattered), but down the rod, where you're looking for more light will actually be worse.

LED bulbs are designed to be used with a focus lens (fisheye looking lens). I experimented on my Monaco Diplomat years ago and finally found the only way to increase down the road lighting, so that you're not "overdrawing" your headlights, is to replace your fog lights with something like a Hella driving light. Keep it low and point it way down the road.

Depending on what your coach uses for a front headlight, there is a way to improve it. My 2019 Dutch Star uses the headlight assembly from a 2010 - 2014 Dodge Challenger. Looking at aftermarket lenses, I found Challenger lenses that used halogen, LED (the assembly had a focused lens) and HID assembly. My coach has the halogen lens, but I could change the assembly to the focus lens and add LED's.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Adding LED's to a lens that uses halogen bulbs will provide NO improvement. As you stand in front of your coach, there will be bright light everywhere (scattered), but down the rod, where you're looking for more light will actually be worse.

LED bulbs are designed to be used with a focus lens (fisheye looking lens). I experimented on my Monaco Diplomat years ago and finally found the only way to increase down the road lighting, so that you're not "overdrawing" your headlights, is to replace your fog lights with something like a Hella driving light. Keep it low and point it way down the road.
DSD, there are hundreds of different LEDs and each has their own results. The better ones address the issue you speak of replicating the beam source of an incandescent bulb so it is focused as the original housing is intended.

You are also correct that a Projector housing ("fisheye") generally does a better job of focusing the available light to where it needs to go, and restricting the intense light to where it shouldn't (blind oncoming traffic).

There is a wide variation of price and quality for both.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
My experience with LED headlights is just the opposite.

Quote:
I experimented on my Monaco Diplomat years ago and finally found the only way to increase down the road lighting, so that you're not "overdrawing" your headlights, is to replace your fog lights with something like a Hella driving light. Keep it low and point it way down the road.
There have probably been some changes since then. I used LED headlights from M4.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #8

I too have been looking into LEDs for headlights and taillights. When I do end up pulling the trigger, I will purchase a complete headlight replacement set....bulbs, lenses, reflector. This will also address the cloudy lenses which are just beginning.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
There are two ways of setting up headlights. One is called a reflector because the bulb no matter what kind is shined rearward onto reflective surfaces inside the housing. The other method actually uses a lens to focus the bulbs light like a camera lens.

Watch this video and learn a bunch!!!

Here's a link to a very good video explaining the differences.

I got a set of LED bulbs and did not rotate them correctly and that resulted in lights that were bright but worse than the Ford stock bulbs. I never drove it at night until last year coming back from a trip to Canada. The guys wanted to drive through so we drove at night and they were awful. The running light were brighter and more focused.

I called the company and they said to rotate them 180 degrees. That didn't work either so I tried 45 degrees and the pattern is better but I still have not driven them at night.
Wow, thank you TeJay, excellent video, very educational, I had no idea choosing an LED bulb that best mimics the std. halogen bulb was so complicated! This started out simply as needing to replace the passenger side headlight bulb (dual beam high/low in a single bulb) that - I thought - had a burned out low beam filament. But it is looking more like the circuit is the culprit, not the bulb, as no matter what bulb I put in, the low beam does not work. So I will need to address that. But along the way I've read from others how bad their OEM lighting in their coach is and thought an upgrade would be a good idea. My Forest River Berkshire XL 37A uses a projector (fisheye) type housing, so at least that appears to be a good start based on the video. I think I will contact Headlight Revolution to see what they recommend, otherwise this could be an expensive trial and error process! Thanks again for your help.

Wes A

Old 12-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #10

I have researched this

I just purchased a set of LED headlight bulbs and back up bulbs for my 2019 Chevy Colorado, stock lighting sucks IMHO. In doing so I found a company that is the only USA LED manufacturing Co. Diode Dynamics (https://www.diodedynamics.com/)

If you research them you will find that they are very good at what they do and the only one that has a 3 year light guarantee. Well made and well tested.

You may want to give them a call and see if they can help you find a replacement for your stock bulbs.

I am away from my RV at this time. (We drove home from Florida for the holidays in the Colorado) so when I get back i am going to replace the Fog lights for sure and if I can maybe the low driving lights too on the RV.

If you are looking for cheap LED's then these are not your guys, if you are looking for GOOD LED's then i suggest you look into them.

I have watched Countless Videos fro those guys TEJAY shared here (Headlight Revolution) , the Diode Dynamics bulbs will always test in the top tier of their testing and they always comment as to how well they are made, a solid choice.

For me I am thinking of their "PODS" lights for fogs and SAE headlights on my Sunova, but I need to look into the RV and see if they will mount in there. I hate not having good lighting at night, I just cannot see well enough as I get older.

Good luck!

KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, headlight, led, light, replace, replacement