RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Adding LED bulbs to a headlight designed to use halogen bulbs will scatter a lot of light in front of the vehicle and look like an improvement. If you drive down a tree covered road, they'll look like the best improvement ever, as the light will light up all the trees.

The problem....a lens not designed for use with LED or HID bulbs will scatter the light and look bright, but will NOT produce the light down the road that everyone is looking for. You'll still be overdriving your headlights.

LED and HID need a focus lens like you see in new cars. It looks like s fisheye. Many Class A coaches use automotive lenses. As an example, my Dutch Star uses Dodge Challenger lenses. You can buy three levels of Challenger lenses, the cheapest which uses halogen, the midline, which uses LED (has a fisheye lens) and one that will work with HID bulbs. If you really want to improve the lighting, change the lens.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Adding LED bulbs to a headlight designed to use halogen bulbs will scatter a lot of light in front of the vehicle and look like an improvement. If you drive down a tree covered road, they'll look like the best improvement ever, as the light will light up all the trees.

If you really want to improve the lighting, change the lens.
This all sounds perfectly reasonable, but my (as well as others in this thread) "real world" driving experience with LED replacement bulbs does not bear this out, Don.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #17

There is validity to Don's statement, but it varies as there are a thousand different LED bulbs for the same fitment. Better quality LED bulbs are designed to mimic the beam pattern of the incandescent / halogen bulb it replaces so that the beam takes advantage of the focus of the housing. Cheap LEDs don't have this refinement.

The "fisheye" is called a "projection lens" designed to focus all light energy in a well defined pattern. ie: the light goes to the road evenly and with a shaped sharp cutoff that keeps the light from the eyes of oncoming traffic.

So, like most anything else, you pay for what you get. Cheap LEDs don't generally work as well as more expensive ones. And a quality projector housing with a quality bulb works best.

BTW, for light output and shape, LEDs are not the best. Bi-Xenon are better. But significantly more expensive system and from my experience, not as durable.

Steps to update lighting:
Clean the lens (wet sand, polish, coat with UV protectant)
Aim the housing.
Ensure full voltage at the bulb (clean up the wiring, add an aftermarket relay).
Replace the bulb (LED / bi xenon etc)
Replace the housing to a projector housing
Add more lights - specialty bulbs like for Fog and Driving lights
Old 11-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #18

I am the original poster and after using them for a while I can say this. The LED are great, the low beam's get a out the same high beam flash as before the upgrade. The high beams are like offroad flood lights. They do have a wide illumination but a good distance away.

My headlights are similar to BMW and I tried several different types of standard bulbs, the lenses are not plastic and are clear. The LED units I installed were not cheap so it was more functional vs getting something cool. The low beams are directional in that the top are covered so as to not blind other drivers. I also set them to DOT standards for trucks. This is to have the center of the beam at X height at y feet away.

The low beams are on all the time and after months of use there have been zero issues.

I would install these again without issue.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #19

Lumens: Note that the OPs brand states "10,000 lumens". This is for the PAIR of lights. A little marketing misleading. I also suggest that the bulbs are not 5,000 per bulb either. But that requires some work to disprove.

Lumens is only one stat. The focus and pattern of the light is just as important. That is achieved by a blend of bulb and housing and lens clarity and aiming.

OP: What material is your lens? I can't remember seeing a non "plastic" lens in years.

Either way, the OP says they improved his lighting. So good enough.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #20

They are 120mm round glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Lumens: Note that the OPs brand states "10,000 lumens". This is for the PAIR of lights. A little marketing misleading. I also suggest that the bulbs are not 5,000 per bulb either. But that requires some work to disprove.

Lumens is only one stat. The focus and pattern of the light is just as important. That is achieved by a blend of bulb and housing and lens clarity and aiming.

OP: What material is your lens? I can't remember seeing a non "plastic" lens in years.

Either way, the OP says they improved his lighting. So good enough.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #21

Last spring I replaced my 5X7" headlights with these, and have been very pleased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was going to just go with replacement lights that would accept HIDs or LED "bulbs" but was concerned about glare and poor horizontal cut-off. Years ago I went with HIDs in the projector headlights of my car and they have wonderful.

I live out in the country where it's quite dark, and I can usually tell when someone has just replaced the bulbs with LEDS in older headlights because of the glare. It's even worse on the lifted trucks where the owners haven't bothered to re-aim the headlights. It isn't just the additional scattering caused by the difference in shape between the chips and original filaments. The original headlights had some scatter too, but when you double or triple the light output, you do the same for the uncontrolled light. Also, blue wavelengths scatter more than yellow which is the reason the daytime sky is blue, and LEDs have more blue wavelengths than incandescent. Blue light glare is a bigger problem with older people because of the clouding of the eye's lens as we age. Doesn't take noticeable clouding to cause scattering in the lens. I'm in my mid 60s and am noticing more glare in oncoming headlights.

The headlights I purchased have a good cut off although the light pattern on the road does have some slight bright and darker spots but overall they are a huge improvement over the dim factory headlights. It did take me some time to get them aimed properly. Even though I did a static aim job, I found I needed to stop and do some adjustments a couple time before getting them right. Part of the reason it took a while is the light pattern is much wider and the center of the low beam less distinct, so the horizontal adjustment took a few tries to dial in.

I used this LED in my motorcycle headlight and I really like this one too. It has a metal shield over part of the chip to provide a sharper horizontal cut off.

I haven't been flashed once with any of my headlight mods.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, led, light, upgrade