Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
LED Headlights

Has anyone replaced their Halogen bulbs with LEDs in a DP? My stock lights are dim (I'm guessing from the voltage drop in the long run from the chassis batteries in the rear.

2005 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ
Hartwell, GA
Steve Kiemele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
Has anyone replaced their Halogen bulbs with LEDs in a DP? My stock lights are dim (I'm guessing from the voltage drop in the long run from the chassis batteries in the rear.
Well Steve,
The first thing I would do if I were you is, (and this is not meant to be derogatory) stop guessing at your available voltage at your present headlights. That is, go out and physically use a VOM and check to see just what you're getting before you run out and spend your hard earned money on what may be a futile effort.

I mean all this as a sort of educational experiment/test. This way, you'll know exactly what you're getting. Yes, it's quite possible there is a voltage drop which depends on all kinds of parameters. Many headlights are powered through the Headlight switch which, is wired with normally too small of wire.
And, as you are thinking, there could be EXTRA loom involved due to the wiring harness is used for many vehicles and much of it is not needed but, contributes to voltage loss over longer than needed runs.

And, not only all that but, in reality, the verdict is sorta still out on LED headlights. Yes, there are applications for many vehicles/trucks/motorcycles etc. But are the folks that have paid the high prices for what's being determined as "High Output" or, High Quality, really getting what they paid for?

I agree with you on the dim part, for sure. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, also has fairly dim headlights. And I keep those lenses buffed to the ultra clear status.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Steve, I owned a 2005 Diplomat for 10 years. I completely changed out even the lenses. You don't need to do that, but you can see the other things I did to resolve the lighting issues.

Headlight Upgrade
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a Previous coach the headlights were dim. Low voltage due to undersized wiring which also was run through the headlight switch. Added a relay pulled by the existing wire / circuit to the headlights. Power taken directly from the battery via a larger gauge wire and passed by the relay to the headlights. Then good voltage at the now bright lights.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
I too recently went thru this same issue. Simply put; I learnt the bluer the bulb (halogen) the brighter the light. So, after spending $60.00 on two bulbs, it turned out the bulbs truly was not my issue. In my case, the bulbs fit into a metal socket made inside the light ( look carefully in light lens or stick finger in holder) and both sides had broke off, I assume from heat and road surface over time. I removed complete light assembly, got part number off housing and began eBay search, turns out they were used in Ford models. In any event replaces both sides and problem solved... Hope this helps and safe travels!!!
2004- GS Crescendo -8356
330 cat / 6 speed Allison
2009 - Z71 Silverado Ext cab - Beagle and Shitzu.
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

led, light, lights