Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
LED Instead of Halogen Lights

I've read that many of you have replaced the Halogen Bulbs with LED Pucks. I decided to do the same and just ordered ones off the internet. Got them today and began installing them, I was shocked at how much heat damage the Halogen Bulbs did to the plastic fixture. All of them had carbonized plastic that just crumbled when I removed the chrome (shiny) heat sink. On some of them there was a hole burned right through the top of the plastic fixture. IMHO these are a potential fire hazard. I will be replacing every Halogen Bulb on the interior of the coach.

I would urge that anyone who hasn't replaced their Halogen Bulbs with LEDs to consider it ASAP for safety in addition to the benifit of less power. Some LEDs are brighter than others. The ones I purchased are fine for me. I purchased them on EBAY at 10X Warm White G4 24 SMD LED RV Camper Marine Lamp Cabinet Spot Light Car Bulb | eBay . Please note that I just checked this sellers listing and the price they are now quoting is way out of line! The description is "10X Warm White G4 24 SMD LED RV Camper Marine Lamp Cabinet Spot Light Car Bulb".

These come from China but 10 LEDs were $15.40 including freight but that is NOT the price this seller shows now. You shouldn't pay more than $1.50 each. Took about two weeks to get them. There are many others on EBAY. The G4 replaces the 2 pin Halogens. Do an EBAY search for "G4 LED 24 SMD and you'll find about 800 listings,

Russ and Gloria, Sophie and Kaylee the Springer Spaniels
2006 40' Beaver Monterey, '2015 Grand Cherokee Toad , BlueOx Towbar, Smart Brake.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Entegra Owners Club
I bought 2 packages of the G4 base with 10 LED's from Ebay for $16 for each package of 10. Because they do not reflect up and down, the light is definitely whiter, but not quite as bright as the halogens. I can get used to that and the long battery life since they draw such little power. Ended up with about 4 spares. On to the larger ones next and the porch and docking lights after that. The store prices are just crazy. Mine came in from Hong Kong in about a week.

Rich USN-Ret & Cindy, Austin TX,
2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42RBQ
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
I have a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay and I did the same thing replacing the lamps with LED- Much cooler and the light is perfect- Some of the fixtures on mine were overheated as well- Great to leave the lights on w/o fear of heat or battery run down...............................
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually, that seller's price went DOWN a bit from your $15.40 price. Now at $15.19 for a package of 10 lights. That's $1.52 each. Am I missing something??? Maybe the seller just fixed it?
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried to replace one in a four light fixture, wife hated the color of the light and it had a lot more glare. She had me take it out in about a minute!!
The light fixture has four 1156 bulbs so it really heats up and burn a lot of watts. Going to try a different brand and get as warm a white as I can. Wife hates the cool white bulbs, even change the fluorescent tubes in all the main fixtures to warm white bulbs for her.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
instead of using ebait and paying a middle man try this link with 8 pages vendors...

Wholesale G4 24 SMD LED - Buy China Wholesale G4 24 SMD LED from Chinese Wholesalers | DHgate

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote