Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
LED light change

I have a new 2015 Jayco Precept and have a ceiling light out. I took it apart to find no bulb but a hard wired light. How does one replace these things? Do you have to cut wires and rewire a new light? I thought they were supposed to last for a long time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Find an LED bulb that will fit the socket of the missing bulb. If the socket has power, no need to remove the fixture, just put in appropriate LED.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs C Class View Post
I have a new 2015 Jayco Precept and have a ceiling light out. I took it apart to find no bulb but a hard wired light. How does one replace these things? Do you have to cut wires and rewire a new light? I thought they were supposed to last for a long time.
I'm a bit confused on what you are saying. What kind of light did you remove? Was it a tube light like a florescent or some other kind? A picture might help. I'm just having a hard time with the term "hard wired" because that could have a couple meanings.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Bob,

From your post it's a little hard to give you a good answer. I'm not familiar with the Precept but it may in fact have led's. If it came with them from the factory, they might be hard wired in, and in that case, you'd just cut the two wires and butt splice in a new strip. Now, there might also be a couple of butt connectors already there...if you pull some more wire out or remove the fixture, you might find them. You could also call the service dept where you bought it and talk to one of the guys there. Maybe a mfgr printed on the piece already...then do a search. If you bought the rig at a dealer and it's still under factory warrantee...have them deal with it...I'd wait 'till some other item needs fixing too then have them both done. If this were my rig I'd do it myself in any case, this is a very minor thing and you'll learn from the experience. You might also see if there's voltage there too before you do anything else. A picture of the thing would be interesting.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks Guys. I'll check at a camping World for a replacement. Won't return home for a couple of months yet.

Bob
Me, Mrs., and Maggie
Old 01-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

Has that light ever worked? If not it may be wired in reverse. LED lights are polarity sensitive unlike incandescent bulbs.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hard wired light.. Never seen one like that except for

1: LED type fixtures

2: GLow-Right tail lamps (Sealed lamp and lense assemblies)

Photos please.. I would like to see it.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There are LED fixtures with non-replaceable bulbs - I used a couple to add some lighting over our galley work areas. If it fails, you replace the entire fixture (it's just a "puck" type glass that inserts in the underside of a cabinet). The Solarion fixtures on THIS PAGE are what I used.

An Led should last long enough that replacing the fixture is not a concern, but that doesn't mean that there will never be an early life failure.

The Precept is a new model - how about making a warranty claim? 30,000-50,000 hours is the norm for an Led light.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote