Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Led light replacement

Planning on doing some dry camping in my Winnebago Tour this summer. Decided to replace the halogen lights with led lights to save some battery power. I know I have a generator and power shouldn't be a concern but there will be times when I can't run the generator. I did some searching online and some of the forums and found a place in China that sells them in bulk at wholesale prices. After a lot of research on size, number of LEDs, color, brightness I finally placed an order on DHgate.com. I searched for a seller named apriltang as another person on possibly this forum had bought some LEDs from her. Well I got them in the mail yesterday. I hooked them up to a 12 v battery and they seem to be plenty bright enough. I bought enough to do all the ceiling puck lights and all the basement and closet lights with plenty of spares. Can't wait to install them and see how good they work. I plan on installing an ammeter on the battery to see what the difference in draw turns out to be. It will be interesting to see if it makes a sizable difference.

Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #2

I don't know about in the RV but in 110 applications LEDs can make a huge difference in current draw. In my home I replaced 24 halogen lampsin the living room ceiling with led lamps. 75 watts each for halogen to 9 watts each for LED. I also had 12 35 watt GU10 hallogen lamps in each bedroom. I switched them out to LED 6 watt lamps. I paid for dimmable LED lamps for the living spaces. Yeah, it cost 300$ for the 2 bedrooms and close to 900$ for the 9 watt LED lamps. My bill dropped by 175$ monthly! I have a few LED lamps in my 5er but since we rarely boondock, it matters little. In my house, after 12 months the lamps are paid for and with an average expected LED life of 50,000 hours compared to 1000 for halogen, I continue to save big time not only in operating costs but replacement costs also. You have to be careful though. Watts output means almost nothing. In lighting all that matters is lumens and color temperature. Match lumens so you get the same brightness. Match color temperature, to get the same color lamps. Warm white 3000-3500 degrees Kelvin, 7500 Kelvin = daylight or cool white.
-Paul R. Haller-

Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul, I am happy to hear you were satisfied with you led changeover in your house. One of the things about LEDs is they run much cooler than halogens so the added benefit is lower air conditioning requirements as well! I did notice a lot of heat generation in the Tour this summer from the ceiling puck lights. So I am hoping to see a difference in cooling during the summer as well!

I have all CF's in the house already and no halogens. If I did I would probably change them as well!

Tom
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just updated mine to all LED. I haven't made any tests yet, but the average 12v LED uses 9-10 times less amps vs incondesant.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #5

As the price of LED's is rapidly falling compared to a few years ago, it makes them the best option in RV's. Low heat, low battery/energy consumption, long life, brighter, and more...
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

A quick test in my 5er showed a 1156 drew ~1.2 amps. A 1156 size LED drew ~.1 amp
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've converted nearly all of my fluorescents and halogens to Leds and am quite satisfied with them. I used the Starlights Revolution brand bulbs. They aren't the cheapest but they are top quality and come in several different lumen (light output) levels and both warm white and bright (cool) white colors.
Check them out at rvledbulbs.com. I got a 15% discount by entering the promotion code 'forum' at checkout.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just an update. Replaced all the puck light 10 watt halogen bulbs with LED replacements I bought from DHGate.com in China this weekend. There were 30 of them all together. The 30 10 watt halogens consumed 24.99 amps in total verses the 30 LED's which consume 3.75 amps. That is with all 30 on at the same time.

The cost for the G4 12 5050 LED,s at DHGATE.com were $2.26 each if you bought 50. The same ones at Camping World were $20.79 ea. I think they were $12-13 at rvledbulbs.com.

I just ordered the T10 LEDs to replace all the bulbs in my sconces and all my basement lights. Once I find the right bulb for my reading lights I plan on replacing the 10 of them as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I used a lamp from Lowes to replace the "Map/reading" lights at the driver and passenger seats. I purchased the Shop Style Selections 1-3/4" Adjustable Brushed Steel LED Clip-On Desk Lamp at Lowes.com= lamp, removed the base and replaced the entire gooseneck assembly. The lamps are powerd by a 10.5 vdc supply which I cut off and wired through a switch to 12 vdc. The light is VERY bright. I may add a resistor to cut the 12 vdc back to 10.5 vdc to help the life and dim the light a little.

I also used one of the lamps with the clamp still on it as a reading light for one of the couches and I have 3 of the Shop Style Selections 15" Brushed Nickel LED Desk Lamp at Lowes.com around the coach as desk lamps. They work GREAT!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to gordons1
Halogen replacement lights for the Tour

I bought enough to do all the ceiling puck lights and all the basement and closet lights with plenty of spares. Can't wait to install them and see how good they work. I plan on installing an ammeter on the battery to see what the difference in draw turns out to be....
What has been your experience re: amp savings? Also, did you make the right choice re: the color of LED you bought? Total Cost? I understand Winnebago will charge 1400 or so for replacing the Halogen puck lights...Of course, they are now available in the 2014 Tours!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpflyer View Post
Planning on doing some dry camping in my Winnebago Tour this summer. Decided to replace the halogen lights with led lights to save some battery power. I know I have a generator and power shouldn't be a concern but there will be times when I can't run the generator. I did some searching online and some of the forums and found a place in China that sells them in bulk at wholesale prices. After a lot of research on size, number of LEDs, color, brightness I finally placed an order on DHgate.com. I searched for a seller named apriltang as another person on possibly this forum had bought some LEDs from her. Well I got them in the mail yesterday. I hooked them up to a 12 v battery and they seem to be plenty bright enough. I bought enough to do all the ceiling puck lights and all the basement and closet lights with plenty of spares. Can't wait to install them and see how good they work. I plan on installing an ammeter on the battery to see what the difference in draw turns out to be. It will be interesting to see if it makes a sizable difference.

I'm in the process of replacing my halogen PUCK lights with an LED. Searched out AprilTang on DHGate, and seen numerous SMD LED with a G4 side pin configuration. Which one of the many bulbs did you buy? Are you still happy with them? Can you dim them?

Thanks in advance!

BrewE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We changed out all ours and yes they are dimmable. Not cheap, but well worth it.
M4 Products
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #13

About 2 years ago, I set out to replace as many incandescent light bulbs in my 2004 Itasca Sunova as possible. My reason for doing this was driven by the desire to lower the amount of amperage (current) consumed by the lights.

I began by purchasing LED bulbs that would replace the 1156 incandescent bulbs in the ceiling fixtures. Like most people, I thought that all LED bulbs are relatively the same. I went for the lowest price, not really knowing much about lumens or the different kinds of LEDs on the market. At first, The bulbs I got were nowhere near as bright as the incandescent bulbs I was replacing. A little trial and error resulted in the discovery that LED bulbs that contained a relatively high number of surface mounted Samsung LEDs seemed to produce the best light. These cost more, but they didn't "burn out" like the cheap ones did after a few hours of use.

I also found that different LEDs provide different color hues of light. By shopping around, you can find LEDs that give off warm light, day light and cool light. Many manufacturers rate their LED bulbs on the Kelvin scale. The higher the Kelvin rating, the whiter the light.

After finishing the inside of the coach, I began replacing as many of the outside bulbs as possible. At first, I focused on the marker and clearance lights. I did some research on commercial truck lights and found that Grote made some quality stuff. I like the fact that most of their LED light fixtures were "potted" which prevents moisture from getting into the internal circuitry. The replacement LED clearance and marker lights on my old Sunova were brighter and looked better at night than most new coaches.

When it came to replacing the turn signal and brake light bulbs, I ran into problems. I could not get the turn signals to work properly using LED (1157) replacement bulbs. I tried resistors and special LED compatible flasher units with no success.

Since then, I have discovered a company called M4 Products. They specialize in LED conversions bulbs and fixtures for motorhomes and other recreational vehicles. They can be found at: M4 Products

If nothing else, they are a good source for information on doing your own LED bulb conversions.

I am currently replacing many of the incandescent marker and clearance lights on my new Winnebago Adventurer. Although the interior of this coach has LEDs on the inside, the exterior lighting is still comprised of incandescent bulbs. I would have expected state of the art lighting throughout on a new 2015 motorhome of this caliber. Fortunately, Grote makes direct replacement fixtures for most of the exterior lighting on this vehicle. The replacement red and amber marker lights are being shipped as I type this.

For me, replacing as many incandescent lights with LEDs is a worth while endeavor. Doing it right might involve a little bit of a learning curve and some on-line research. If done properly, the LED lights will out perform your old incandescent bulbs and they should live the life of your motorhome.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
JDD

Have been wanting to replace my interiors with LEDs for some time. Not sure where to start. Is there a conversion chart or something that tells me what replacements to buy? Since the China site has large minimum orders I want to be sure to get the correct replacements. Any help?