Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

LED Light strip

I bought an LED light strip I want to mount on my 38' Damon Challenger. I was going to mount it under the awning on the side of the coach but have heard some run the along the awning itself. What have you done with yours?
Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine is on the awning tube and rolls in with the awning . It throws light at the coach lighting up the entire street side and doesn't shine out at the coach next to us which we really like. The draw back is the awning has to be fully extended to use it
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

How did you run the power to it?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymark View Post
How did you run the power to it?
I chose to mount mine under the slide topper since I didn't want to have to unhook power to it every time I brought the awning in. The LED strip is mounted on pieces of 3/4x3/4" aluminum angle which is double side taped to the outside wall under the topper using outdoor butyl tape. They shine straight down instead of outward. It's very easy to run a wire through the wall to a controller inside a cabinet. I used a four channel RF controller so it does not require line of sight like an IR control. I also put a strip under the door awning and underneath the front. They can all be controlled together or independently. Still trying to figure out where to put the fourth channel! This model RED came with a white LED strip on the horizontal awning mounting bracket, but they are totally useless unless the slide is in. About six inches on each end is all you can see when the slide is out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	120523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	120524  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	120525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	120528  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I did!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/got-m...ed-227755.html
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Interesting ideas

Interesting ideas. I like the idea of the RF controller but is the added expense to allow turning on and off from inside needed. If I am camping going outside shouldn't be a factor. Location is a key here for me. I like indirect lighting and would like to mount so as to supply aesthetic lighting and functional lighting with a single position. I like the idea of attaching the "L" aluminum rail pointing the lights down. My coach is stored in a heated hanger so I think a little experimentation as to the look I am seeking might be in order. Since the lights are multicolored and dimmable, accomplishing both goals is certainly doable. A factor I had not considered was infringement on your neighbors environment. That has to be a factor of course. It might be installing as a under coach effect might work as well. Since these kits are so affordable it may be both installations might be the answer. I don't want my coach to be a Christmas tree! I have seen folks who drape lights all over the place and I think that looks tacky. Just taste I suppose. Keep the suggestions and solutions coming it gets me closer to my goal.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:49 AM   #7

Dan, would you share we got the 4 channel controller?
Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have my white led lights and rf controller bought on Ebay. Like the idea of the aluminum angle where did you get the angle and waterproof tape. Planning to mount power supply in cabinet with microwave. Mine are super bright but dimmable.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #9

I mounted on side under awning, I have the remote, works great
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Dan, would you share we got the 4 channel controller?
Be glad to. I got mine on Amazon for under $40. It came with the remote and four receiver/controllers. Here's one link, or you can search for RF LED controllers. They shipped from China, so it took a few weeks to get them.
Robot Check

Keep in mind that there are basically two types of LED strips and controllers. There is the more common RGB (Red, Green Blue) strips and the WRGB (White, Red, Green, Blue). Each type takes a different controller. If you want pure white light, then you want the four color. The three color will give you something close, but not a pure white output.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman View Post
I have my white led lights and rf controller bought on Ebay. Like the idea of the aluminum angle where did you get the angle and waterproof tape. Planning to mount power supply in cabinet with microwave. Mine are super bright but dimmable.
The aluminum angle can be bought from Lowes or Home Depot. It came in 6' lengths, so it took two and and half to do the full length. The outdoor double side tape also came from Lowes. It is a butyl rubber tape, not foam rubber and is super sticky. Make sure you have it positioned right, because you won't be moving it.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymark View Post
Interesting ideas. I like the idea of the RF controller but is the added expense to allow turning on and off from inside needed. If I am camping going outside shouldn't be a factor. Location is a key here for me. I like indirect lighting and would like to mount so as to supply aesthetic lighting and functional lighting with a single position. I like the idea of attaching the "L" aluminum rail pointing the lights down. My coach is stored in a heated hanger so I think a little experimentation as to the look I am seeking might be in order. Since the lights are multicolored and dimmable, accomplishing both goals is certainly doable. A factor I had not considered was infringement on your neighbors environment. That has to be a factor of course. It might be installing as a under coach effect might work as well. Since these kits are so affordable it may be both installations might be the answer. I don't want my coach to be a Christmas tree! I have seen folks who drape lights all over the place and I think that looks tacky. Just taste I suppose. Keep the suggestions and solutions coming it gets me closer to my goal.

I use a rotating color pattern until about 10PM, then change them to white and dim them to the point they won't bother the neighbors!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The aluminum angle can be bought from Lowes or Home Depot. It came in 6' lengths, so it took two and and half to do the full length. The outdoor double side tape also came from Lowes. It is a butyl rubber tape, not foam rubber and is super sticky. Make sure you have it positioned right, because you won't be moving it.
Installed lights today used 1/2 in aluminum angle from tractor supply.The double sided tape
is 1 in stuck it to angle then trimmed with small utility knife.Used piece trimmed off on next section.Look great,thanks for the ideas.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I added to the awning tube. Also installed a waterproof 12VDC outlet just below the floor level to the side of the coach tapping into the below floor storage light for power. Use an RF controller to dim and turn on/off. Found everything on Amazon for maybe $25.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light