Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #29

I installed LED lights strings on five coaches so far. Two on awning roller, two under awning attachment rail and one under my slide. I only used adhesive on the ones installed under my slide. I attached the LED strip to the rough fiberglass and then used a small amount of clear adhesive along both edges.

The strips I installed on the exterior of the rig and the awning roller were installed only using the minting tape on the light strips. I used rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to clean the surface prior to putting on the light strips. Afterward, I used wax around the strip to protect the surface. All of these light strips are still working and mounted securely. Sure hope they continue.

Jim

Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #30

For the under chassis install are most people running them down the frame rails or somewhere else? Is the adhesive any good underneath or is another fastener required?

Also, are most wiring directly to house batteries or plugging into a receptacle?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #31

Because the bottom of the coach/trailer is a harsh environment and given that the sticky tape isn't the best and, you would literally have to scour the underside to get to stick.

I've done lots of LED installs on various things, for this scenario i would attach 3/4' x 3/4" aluminum L channel to the underside and stick the LEDs to that. My personal preference would be to paint the portion that shows black and attach it so it shields the LEDS from view when on. Your after the glow for this affect, not the glare.

A cheaper method would be to zip tie it to the bottom of the basement floor father inboard.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
For the under chassis install are most people running them down the frame rails or somewhere else? Is the adhesive any good underneath or is another fastener required?

Also, are most wiring directly to house batteries or plugging into a receptacle?

I installed some LED stripes under my golf car for a little 'bling.' I knew the sticky tape on the LED's would not hold so I attached them with some 3M high bond auto trip tape. They have stayed put for 4 years.

If I do the LED's under the curb side of the coach, I would do the same.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I installed some LED stripes under my golf car for a little 'bling.' I knew the sticky tape on the LED's would not hold so I attached them with some 3M high bond auto trip tape. They have stayed put for 4 years.

If I do the LED's under the curb side of the coach, I would do the same.
So your saying most only install one strip of led up patio side of coach chassis? I figured it was up both sides to have nice balanced glow. My initial thoughts were to buy two sets of the 16 ft strips and use each between front and rear wheels along frame.

Only other question is the source of power. Make more sense to plug into basement outlet or wire into 12v system. We have outlets in various bays so that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
So your saying most only install one strip of led up patio side of coach chassis? I figured it was up both sides to have nice balanced glow. My initial thoughts were to buy two sets of the 16 ft strips and use each between front and rear wheels along frame.

Only other question is the source of power. Make more sense to plug into basement outlet or wire into 12v system. We have outlets in various bays so that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
I'm not sure how most folks install them but the few I've seen were on the patio awning side of the coach.... either under the awning or under the bottom of the coach. For me, I'd not see much value to have the lighting on the road side, just the patio side to add a glow under the awning/on the patio area.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #35

I will be mounting the LED strip on rails that the body builder has as part of the support for the bays. I decided the adhesive tape that came on the LED strip was a potential problem, so I picked up so 3M VHB Tape 4941... they use that on truck bodies and construction so it will be plenty strong and weather tolerant .
Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #36

Here is what I did.

I wired it to the porch light.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #37
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbert1 View Post
I wired it to the porch light.

If I was to install LED lights that is what I would do with the low current draw and the power already on the outside of the MH. Good Job.

I think what I want to do is put old school rope light down the inside of the awning tube and replace this light which is useless

Old 01-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #38

I plan on running the wires up and through the fridge vent dropping ultimately into the basement. I'll cut the basement light feed and tie in a fused distribution block and connect the basement & awning lights there. This gives fused redundancy and an easy point to also connect the belly lights. Piece of cake to do and much safer IMO.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #39
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Well we got around to putting the rope light into the groove on the awning roller.

It turned out that the grove was to large to hold the light in place, there were rubber stoppers to hold the florescent light from sliding down the track and they worked great for holding the rope light in the tube

We came up with a better idea of using clear tubing to slide the rope light through and then slid the tube into the grove. We just have to find the right clear tube. We will use the original cord to connect the rope light to the porch light for power.

This is what it looks like with lights on in the shop I think it will work out nice at night, I will post a night shot when I can.

I think it will work out really nice, with the awning up I do not think you will be able to see the lights, and the soft glow on the under side of the awning should be a nice effect.