Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

Question Led Lights

I am in the process of installing new led side marker and clearance lights on my 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. The side marker lights also serve as turn indicator lights. The problem I am having is the side turn lights only work when the head lights are on. I switched the wires and then they would only work with the lights off. Am I correct in assuming that I need to install a resistor on these side lights in order for the turn lights to work correctly?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you useing a 3 wire pigtail.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

No I am not. The lights that I am using are two wire led lights.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Leds are polarized so if you have the wrong wire hooked up they may not work. At least they are on the LED strip lights I've installed in our rig.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #5

I have tried wiring them both ways and I can either get marker lights or turn lights but not both. I picked up a couple of resistors,I will give them a try and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your going to need a relay, or a non polarized led, I dont think they make a non polorized led, the d in led is for diode. that 2 wire system really doesn't have a ground, its 2 hot wires that when one or the other is off it will seek a ground thru the other source
Old 10-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sure they are a marker/ turn or just one funtion. Seems to me you need three leads, one white, one black, one red. White ground, black marker, red turn. Thats how the lites on our trailers at work are.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Your going to need a relay, or a non polarized led, I dont think they make a non polorized led, the d in led is for diode. that 2 wire system really doesn't have a ground, its 2 hot wires that when one or the other is off it will seek a ground thru the other source
Led lights work off of a ground and 12 volt hot like every other light. I have never looked to see but since it is a diode It might be polarized. basically diodes block current flow in one direction and pass it in the other so they probably have to be hooked up correctly

Indian Joe I am confused that your lights do not work in turn signal mode. If they came on and did not blink that I could understand. Most turn signal blinkers need a certain amount of current to work. At least the older ones do. Putting a resister in series with the hot lead is not going to work. If you put a resister on the line it needs to parralel the LED and make it a fairly low resistance maybe on the order of 1000 ohms or so and that is just a guess by the way. one side of the resistor on the hot side of the led the other side of the resistor on the other side of the LED if that does not work switch polarities with the wires going to the coach. The added resistor will pull more current
Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No a resistor will not help.. Here is the problem

The diagram for a LED is a lot like the diagram for a Diode only with a pair of lines radiating off it (LIGHT) that diagram is --|<---

As best I can draw it with ASCII

Now, a diode is an electronic check valve,, You know what a check valve is right,, Water flows only in the direction of the arrow... IF the pressure on teh tail side of the arrow is HIGHER than the pressure the arrow points toward, water flows.

Same with a diode, The arrow points toward the NEGATIVE terminal (The less positive one) so current flows only one way.

SOME led lamps come with a built in bridge rectifier, this is an arrangement of 4 Diodes arranged so no matter which way it is plugged in the current will flow.. But the lamps you bought, do not have that feature... Try ECO-LED brand from any good dealer for those two lamps, about 20 bucks a pop but you are only going to use them in two sockets.

Alternatives are visit me and I can fix it for you, or try several different brands till you find one that works the way you want, or install a second fixture in parallel with the lamp in the other direction.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #10

check the light you took off your rv, look at the bulb to see if it has 2 elements. It sounds like your going to need a 3 wire led. One wire for turn signal and the second one for park, the third for a ground. Standard lights used one of the mounting screws for the ground, the 2 wires your seeing are both hot wires.

Tags
lights