Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
LED lights suppliers

Hi all, I'm looking for some LED replacement bulb for my 10" florescent bulbs. The numbers on the bulbs are F8T5/CW for Thin Lite fixtures. Does anyone know where to get these outside of ordering a container full from China?
Thanks
John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

I posted a similar request not too long ago and several responders made the point that the florescent bulbs were virtually as energy efficient as the LED's and it wasn't worth the cost to change them. So I didn't.

Jim

Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Hi all, I'm looking for some LED replacement bulb for my 10" florescent bulbs. The numbers on the bulbs are F8T5/CW for Thin Lite fixtures. Does anyone know where to get these outside of ordering a container full from China?
Thanks
John
I just happened to bookmark this the other day.

Revolution F8T5-12, LED Replacement for Fluorescent Lights
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
I believe that replacing the fluorescent bulbs with LEDs will be more energy efficient. That being said, why not have both?

I bought a 5m roll of 5050 SMD Warm White LED's and installed them in the existing fluorescent fixtures and added another same-style switch. I can have non, either or both.

Works nicely and looks stock.

I wrote an article about it, you can see it here:

WanderMan: And The Lord Said..."Let There Be Low Power Light"

There's pictures too!

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderman View Post
I bought a 5m roll of 5050 SMD Warm White LED's and installed them in the existing fluorescent fixtures and added another same-style switch. I can have non, either or both.

Hey Rich,

Where did you buy these LEDs? If you got them on ebay, what was the seller's ID?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #6

Just type in what you want and it will be there on ebay. I have ordered several types of LED's and have had great results. With big savings especially on the G4 warm white.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Hey all,
Just search for this and you'll find all sorts of stuff on ebay. I found that MANY importers have the same LEDs so the prices vary wildly.

New Warm White 5M 16FT Waterproof 5050 SMD LED Strip 300 LEDS High Quality USA

Rich "The Wanderman"
Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John, I replaced two of the fluorescent fixtures in my motor home with the kit from welcome to jclampstand.com! the kit # is JC-42-FL FLUORESCENT TUBE UPGRADE The ones I ordered were cool white and I would highly suggest NOT to go with that color as it is bright and has a blue tint. Not something for reading. I did not see where they offer a warm white, so you may not be interested but the kit has everything to do the replacement.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
splicing and cutting led ribbion

Hey Wanderman, thanks for the tip on the LED strips. How do you go about cutting and splicing those strips into a 12v power source.
Do I have to buy special adapters? I'm ignorant and not afraid to admit it. Those prices look almost too good to be true. Is there something I should look out for when ordering a 5 m roll?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Pumper,
If you look at the roll of LED strip lights you'll see a very specific "cut line". It's clearly marked. Once cut, you simply solder on 2 wires to the pads they give you. Sounds complicated, it isn't!

I removed the four screws holding up my lights and simply found the positive and negative lines. I tapped the negative (which is common to everything) and then ran a line from the positive to the new rocker switch, then to the strip.

That's about it. If you are unsure, take some pictures of your fixtures, removed. and I'll try and ID the wires for you to tap into.

Rich "The Wanderman"
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
I found the non-waterproof kind run cooler & the adhesive sticks better. The pictures are of the non-waterproof kind; a 3528 SMD, cool white, 600 LEDs in 5 meters. The cut lines are 1" apart.

Usually the wire colors within the light fixture indicate whether it is positive or negative. The white should be ground and the black should be positive. This follows residential wiring. The wires going to the light can be anything. I used a black marker to mark the black wire before taking it apart.

The LEDs need the proper polarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128a.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	18701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130a.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	18702  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134a.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	18703  
Old 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Beautiful illustrated response rsflight!

I found that the 5050 SMDs gave a more even light without too many "points", also you probably could have gone with 2 single strips of 5050 vs. 4 of the 3528s. Less wiring, you know?

Rich "The Wanderman"
Old 03-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I use the F8T5 replacements from www.rvledbulbs.com. It's an actual tube with the leds inside and fits into the existing socket. Doesn't get power from the socket pins, though, because you don't use the ballast with the leds. You wire the tube direct to the 12v source and its real easy. Clip the lead to the ballast for one side and splice to one led lead with a wire nut, and slip the other onto the spade connector on the Thinlight's on/off switch.

The Revolution bulb is a high lumen (light output) and uses about 15% of the electric that a fluorescent uses.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderman View Post
I found that the 5050 SMDs gave a more even light without too many "points", also you probably could have gone with 2 single strips of 5050 vs. 4 of the 3528s. Less wiring, you know?"
Yes more wires, but we wanted the closeness of the 3528s so that they would simulate the flourescents. I changed all 14 flourescents that way and we are pleased with the results. The choice of the 3528s vs 5050s became a personal preference issue for us.

Tags
lights