Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

LED outside lighting,,,, project

Our coach has a single "porch" light under the awning, and that's it. I wanted more light. Today I completed a project that I am pleased with.

I bought a 16' string of LED's on Amamzon, $8. I cleaned the bottom of the coach all long the frame, just inside the basement doors. Using the sticky tape that came on the string I stuck the strip all along the bottom. I added some masking tape every foot or so as the sticky tape didn't stick all that well under the coach. I then put a bead of clear silicone caulk on both sides of the light string, about a 1 1/2" long, about every 4". Once the the silicone dried, I removed the masking tape. The string is stuck very well under the coach.

Our coach has a stair light, that lights the stairs inside the coach. The light is in the stairwell, the wires were easily accessed in the front wheel well. I wired the LED string into that circuit.

Now when we turn on the stairwell lights, the underneath of the coach lights up really well. Gives nice light under the awning to add to the pitter full porch light. Great addition for just under $9.

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150808_143442_resized.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	102560   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150808_143400_resized.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	102561  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I did something similar this year. I tied into the porch light and ran the leds under the awning. It turned out better than I expected.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439082851103.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	102565   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439082890524.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	102566  

Old 08-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

Lloyd,
Did all you did about 6 months ago. It's kind-a fun to goof around with all this cheap LED stuff. I did the under-awning ones about 2 years ago and, the under coach ones recently. The under awning ones were partially a gift from my son who was working at an RV Service center at the time. It was marketed by Dometic and, is real high quality LED lighting strip(s).

And, that one is dimmable. If I open the awning by about 1 foot, that under awning light, at full brightness, will broadcast light about 40' IF I WANT IT TO. But, that feature is rarely used. It's just a mood light for the most part.

As for under the coach lighting, I too roamed around on Amazon and came up with three different brightness of LED light strips. In the pictures below, the ones in the back of my truck, for "Under bed rail" lighting are the least bright ones. The ones I used for under the coach, are the brightest you can get at the time.

I also added a small strip under the door jamb and, tied it into the wiring for the Kwikee step. So, when the screen door is opened, not only do I have amber LEDs under the step, in place of that junk one that came with the coach, but, I also have that strip under the door jamb that lights up those extendable steps too.

But, for the under coach lighting, I used a separate switch and power source. I also tied in a small strip under the very front lip of the door steps. So when that under coach lighting is lit up, so is the ground, right under the front step. Looks cool.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

Fire up, I really like the step lights. I need to do that. Hard to see those things at night, wife fell down them last year missed a step in the dark.

Which lights did you use for that?

I want a flood light under our awning. For occasional use when setting up etc.. I ordered a 12v LED flood, and a remote controller. I saw some where here on IRV2 a fellow installed the remote inside the porch light, and controlled his LED awning lights by the remote (when the porch light is on). I want to do the same with a flood.

Its on order, next weekends project.

L.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a DP here's one that might interest you.
Here are a couple of other's but inside compartments. --- # 1 ---- # 2
All and more can be found in QT's # 3 below in my signature.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Fire up, I really like the step lights. I need to do that. Hard to see those things at night, wife fell down them last year missed a step in the dark.

Which lights did you use for that?

I want a flood light under our awning. For occasional use when setting up etc.. I ordered a 12v LED flood, and a remote controller. I saw some where here on IRV2 a fellow installed the remote inside the porch light, and controlled his LED awning lights by the remote (when the porch light is on). I want to do the same with a flood.

Its on order, next weekends project.

L.
Lloyd,
Thanks for the nice comments. As for the LED step lights, the ones glued to the bottom of the door jamb to illuminate the top step, those are #3528 series STRIP LED lights. I wanted them lit up but not blinding. They are not nearly as bright as the ones that are glued to the bottom front lip of the steps and, also glued along the bottom rail of the compartment doors. Those are # 5360 STRIP LED lights.

Do yourself a favor and go to this website and see what they say about the illumination of various sized LED chips in LED light strips. You'll see why I chose what I chose.

3528 vs 5050 vs 5630 LED SMD Diodes

The ones I installed directly under the awning are remote controlled. I can sit there in a chair, with the wife in the evening and, control how much light they give off. I can set it to the point we almost can't see them or, I can read a book at midnight if I choose. (most likely won't do the latter).
Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

I can't be the only one that wants to see the shop that is attached to that epoxy floor in Fire Up's post.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try this website http://rvledlites.com/

I just bought their Motion Guard MG-450 Light it comes in Black or White. The LED really lights up the steps and the area around the coach. It can be used as a regular porch light by just turning it on. IF you turn it on then back off and immediately back on it works as a motion sensing light. It only comes on at night when it sees motion in motion sensing mode. I had a friend that bought a Starlight SL1000 with LED. I was disapointed in the amount of light it put out you could not see very much. The Motion Guard MG-450 is very bright. I installed it myself and it was a pretty easy install. Even though it is a LED it is not polarity sensitive.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I can't be the only one that wants to see the shop that is attached to that epoxy floor in Fire Up's post.
Bucky1320,
I surely thank you for the nice comments on my garage floor. The home is basically brand new. We purchased it from the builder. While we were in the final closing of the deal, and had about two weeks before we closed and, it was ours, I and the builder authorized a professional company to come in and, treat that floor.

This house was brand new so, there were not even any tire marks in any of the garages. But, that company still had to grind and treat that floor with chemicals prior to the installation of the epoxy coatings. We didn't even own the home yet but, it was the best time to do that coating.

I could have done the "Home Depot" kit thing but, I've seen the results of that system, a couple of years after and, some was peeling and many had faded to an ugly color. So, I opted for a pro to do the job. I also had them apply two, 2" stripes at specific measured distances for my motor home tires to follow as I back in. It allows me to back that coach into the same EXACT SPOT (to the 1/2") each and every time.

Below are pics of the before and after. Sorry about the mess, it was when we were moving in. It's now completely organized.
Scott

Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #10

Very, very nice. Looks like they did a great job. Our coach is outside, under a carport which keeps it pretty nice, I have a bay it fits in my barn, however it is also my workshop. I bring the coach in for work, then back to the carport for storage.

Our place is also new, we bought 10 acres, cleared it, graded and built 1'300 of road, and built barn pictured ourselves. Hired a builder to do the house. (we wouldn't have gotten the house done in 10 years ) Moved in last Thanksgiving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150511_190353_resized.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	102719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4755.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	924.7 KB
ID:	102720  

Name:	20150409_180334_resized_2[1].jpg
Views:	152
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	102721   Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage_1380627904244.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	102722  

Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #11

Wow beautifull home and garage and that gate very cool metal work.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

Very nice everyone!!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #13

Thanks Mike!

I designed and built the gates myself. They are based on the South Carolina flag. Had a lot of fun making them, cut them with a plasma cutter, then took them to a local powder coater.

L.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lloyd......I did the same lights as you, even found the 16' strips were the perfect length form wheel well to wheel well. Once they were installed, did both sides, I found that the light shown straight down giving me about a 1' wide pattern under the coach. I took it on a couple of trips this way, but had imagined before the project that there would be more light in the patio area.

Not being critical, but here's what I did. I pulled off the strips I installed and added a piece of 1/4" aluminum angle upside down where I had installed the LED's. I purchased the aluminum angle at Home Depot in 8' lengths. I drilled the aluminum about every 18" and then used self tapping screws to install. Once done, I reinstalled the LED's that now angled out at 45 degree angle, but were still under the edge of the coach.

The difference was huge, I could turn them down low and light just under the edges or turn them up and light 7'-8' out onto the patio area without blinding anyone.

Either way they looked nice, but was not what I had in mind for how the lighting should look. As just a safety light, straight down worked well.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light