Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

LED replacement for inside

Our 2007 Itasca has over 2 dozen incandescent bulbs inside, reading, bathroom, overhead, etc. I believe they are all the same #. I have researched LEDs and they are readily available from many sources. But I know there is Chinese crap that won't work well from what I read. Considering the different applications, ceiling, indirect, bathroom, what brand, sources, and specifications are recommended. Since they are not cheap, especially good ones, I want to get what works, not be the experimenter.

Thanks
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
M4 leds are good as is superbrightleds.
I've also bought ones off eBay and Amazon with no problems other than one that sent the wrong bulbs then wanted me to pay to return them. Once that was out of the way the correct lights worked fine. Ended up buying over 60 LED's and still have more to go.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #3

Well,
I did the complete www.superbrightleds.com thing. Yeah, it was a bit pricey but, that was 4 years ago and, each and every LED light I installed is working to a Tee. They have a great site to work from and with. And, if you're planning on buying American, there's really no difference in price per bulb from many other sources. We too have around 20 - 30 interior lights, not including the overhead CFLs in the kitchen area. Back then I chose not to mess with those 'cause there really wasn't a good LED replacement for those.

But, since then, there's been much improvement in LEDs to replace the kitchen fluorescents. Sooner or later I'll get around to replacing those. But, as far as "color", I'm more of a cool white kind-a guy but, the wife likes the more "warm white" stuff so, she got to pick most of the interior replacements while I got the compartments and, a couple inside.

But, I kind-a was the "Experimenter" way back that long ago, I had to just "surmise" on what things would look like with different color lighting and, different lumens etc. But, with a little or, a LOT of perseverance, and quite a bit of research into lumens of both the stock bulbs and, replacement LEDs, it came out pretty darn close to what was expected, in each and every lighting situation inside the coach and, in each compartment outside the coach. I'm real happy with the turnout, even though I spent quite a bit more than I thought I would. But, I surely don't regret it 'cause we can turn on just about every light in that coach and not put anywhere near the load on the house batteries that the original ones did.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and with the same exact company. They had and, most likely still have fast and great service.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have purchased from M-4 and Superbright, both are quality. I purchased some direct from China for use in my s&b home and every one of them failed...I ended up putting the incandescent lamps back in. So, I think I stick with the known product rather than try to "save" a few dollars.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
FYI.. I purchased the LED fluorescent tube replacements from M-4. They work great except they emit a bit of RF noise which can be a problem on weak TV signals. Most of the time they're turned off while the TV is on, but I have had them wipe out the picture when turned on.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdebarmore View Post
FYI.. I purchased the LED fluorescent tube replacements from M-4. They work great except they emit a bit of RF noise which can be a problem on weak TV signals. Most of the time they're turned off while the TV is on, but I have had them wipe out the picture when turned on.

Yeah, I ran into the same thing. The lights work great but do affect the TV. Don't usually watch TV with the fluorescent's on anyway. Changing to LEDs was one of the best things I've done. Nice and bright with daylight LEDs. About a tenth of power usage as well.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Only replace the ones you use the most to start if you don't want to lay out a big grip of money to change them all at once.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone tried LED's from EEZ RV? They have a smaller selection, but on the florescent replacement they state no RF interference.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #9

I bought LEDs from an Ebay seller and so far there haven't been any issues with any of them. The light is consistent from one to another and they appear to be fairly well made. The deciding point on buying them was the price. I bought packs of 20 bulbs for $20 per pack, including shipping, and they arrived in two days. At superbrightleds.com 20 bulbs are $299 and shipping is an additional charge. Whether or not they are worth the extra $14+ per bulb you'll have to decide. I can buy a lot of replacements for the cost of the more expensive product. The seller I bought from was yitamotor.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
The seller I bought from was yitamotor.
Those are the ones I bought from also and sent me the wrong ones then wanted me to pay to return them. But one the correct ones got here they seem to work OK although they are more of a daylight rather than warm white as advertised.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #11

I bought daylight ones first and decided they were too blue looking, even in daylight. I then bought another set of warm white ones and I'm happy with those. The seller shipped just a short time after they got the order and they were here in two days both times.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
I bought LEDs from an Ebay seller and so far there haven't been any issues with any of them. The light is consistent from one to another and they appear to be fairly well made. The deciding point on buying them was the price. I bought packs of 20 bulbs for $20 per pack, including shipping, and they arrived in two days. At superbrightleds.com 20 bulbs are $299 and shipping is an additional charge. Whether or not they are worth the extra $14+ per bulb you'll have to decide. I can buy a lot of replacements for the cost of the more expensive product. The seller I bought from was yitamotor.
I did the same and replaced all of my bulbs for $40. 3 years ago I paid over $300 to replace half the bulbs in a fifth wheel that I had at the time. These that I got this time for $40 work just as well.
Mel
Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

As far as using warm or cool, which seems to be a better application if different places. Example, over the bathroom sink there are 3 that aim down, make-up lights. Over the couch and recliners and near head board are reading lights. Near the dining table are ones in globes that aim up. Some are in fixtures in the hall and bedroom which have plastic covers on them. In lumens and temperature, one size does not fit all.

I will be phasing them in rather than replace all at once. On things I want to try different light output and of course the cost. Big trip this spring, AL to AK and return by a less than direct routing I figure that in AK there will be some boon docking and saving amps is important.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Forget the bulbs. Their quality and color temperature varies. Go to the 2016 GNR in Forest City and purchase the identical ceiling fixture with 21 surface mount diodes. Check them out in advance in 2012 plus Winn diesel class A coaches. You should get out the door for about $15 per fixture for a higher quality LED fixture from ITC - still the supplier to Winnebago. You will be pleased you didn't go with bulbs particularly in the halogen ceiling fixtures where the reflective coating can damage bulbs with excess heat. I did the bulbs first and wouldn't recommend it when there is a fixture likely for less cost.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, led, replace, replacement