Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

LED Turn signal replacements

Just purchased the Super-Bright Amber LED 1156A to replace my flakey amber turn signal bulbs. Has anyone used these & will they work without any other modifications?

Thanks for any info.
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Best guess is....maybe. If your RV has a heavy duty electronic flasher, it should work with the reduced draw of the more efficient LED bulbs. If the flasher rapidly blinks with the new bulbs, you'll have to find a different flasher unit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #3

I tried some but they did not have leds pointing the right way and were rather dim
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
I tried some but they did not have leds pointing the right way and were rather dim
I've learned that LEDs work best if the LED color matches the lens color. I had white bulbs in my Toad red tail light lens and was not happy with their brightness. I switched to red LEDs and they improved greatly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just finished converting all the external lights to LED. I had to add load resistors on the turn signals to make them work properly. A word of caution, the resistors run VERY hot. I had to make heat sinks from some aluminum channel and screw the resistors to them. My lights are plenty bright, but you do have to match the LED color to the lens color or the light will lose 2/3 of its brightness.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Didn't covert but ADDED

The existing lights were working just fine but I felt they were too dim and I really like the looks of LED stop and signal lamps so I decided to add more to the back of the MH. When I put on my signal or slow down folks really know it.

I added lights lower and higher than the stock light. Most of the transit buses have all kinds of lights. lights that warn they are slowing, lights that the exhaust brake is on and lights that warn the aux brakes are on and stopping.

so I went forward with my installation of 4" round lights low. this is for the people who never look up to see the stock (dim) lights. and also a set up high, Oval for appearances, so that the truckers can see me slowing or stopping above the SUV that block out my stock lights. Not shown below but also added "Chicken" directional lights up front (on the sides) low off the front corners. Similar to many of the big rigs. This way folks coming up along side can see my intentions.

no changes in the flasher but notice the LED lights come on a lot faster than the incandescent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	54881  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
On our last MH I converted every interior and exterior light to LED except the head lights. Blinkers flashed much faster but I felt that it drew more attention so I did not correct it.

Current MH - have done about 80% of the exterior and 50% of the interior. I purchase mine on eBay much cheaper. After trying different types I found that the SMD (surface mount device) type LED works the best. I use the 48 LED panel ones for many of my interior lights. For my side marker lights (the little bulbs with the wires that are folded over that push into a socket) I get a 4 SMD LED that are mounted on a circuit board that fits the bulb socket. Many, many choices out there on eBay.

Ebay Search suggestions -

SMD LED PANEL - many of these will have a pigtail to adapt to different light sockets or can be direct wired.

SMD LED {bulb type here} (1157, 1156, BA15S, BA9S, T10) etc. Prices very widely from seller to seller so you need to search a bit but you can get good stuff for .99 and up that you can use to convert just about any RV light.

Tags
replace, replacement