Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #15

Just an update, I decided to go with a direct replacement with what is in there. I appreciate all the input. My brother and his son who are both mechanics advised a new over a rebuilt. Rebuilt where we live is just only replacing that which is broken. They have had 3 failures after several months on their vehicles with rebuilt. Should be in next week Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
Just an update, I decided to go with a direct replacement with what is in there. I appreciate all the input. My brother and his son who are both mechanics advised a new over a rebuilt. Rebuilt where we live is just only replacing that which is broken. They have had 3 failures after several months on their vehicles with rebuilt. Should be in next week Peter
I'm sure that choice will work out fine.
I've never had good luck with "rebuilt or reman" alts for autos from the chain parts stores so I prefer to do business with a local shop. They do only fix what's broken but why fix it if it's not broken.
On the other hand, the motto of some places is "if it ain't broke fix it till it is"

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I have had my OEM Leece-Neville alternator rebuilt three times in its 13 years of life.

It gets completely rebuilt each time regardless of whether the part is bad or not plus I always take it to a reputable rebuild shop. Hell, that's why it's in the shop in the first place, something broke inside and it is not working. If they only replaced what's not working then I would expect to back sooner than later.

Those local places that only replace what's broken I would stay far away. Ever think that maybe that's why it only lasts for a short amount of time? I guess that's one way for them to increase their revenues if people buy into that type of repair philosophy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #18

If you have a Leece Neville 160 amp alternator is screwing up and have the mechanical and electrical ability to do this change - I would recommend that you replace it with a Delco 22SI. Why? Cheaper, Parts are everywhere, and it flat out works better in my opinion. I even picked up a spare in case this alternator craps out. I even carry tools and a spare tire because I hate to be at the mercy of some shop owner who lost their a$$ in Vegas and are trying to make it back from me. Been there.

It's been 10k+ miles since I made the change and not a flutter in the
tach or voltmeter.

Skip H.
32' Monaco Windsor
230+ HP B5.9

Just an update on the Delco 22SI that I installed.
It has been 60,000 miles(161,000 on MH) since the install and everything is working as it should be.

Skip H.
32' Monaco Windsor
230+ HP B5.9
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #19

Unfortunately where I live there is only one shop that does this kind of work, and I do not want to take it out of town. By the time I add my time and fuel, it is not worth it. I trust the advice of my brother and his son. They have a car lot and even his son who has a diesel truck got a new one recently.

Yes, rebuild here is only fixing that which is broken and it will cost me $200.00, with no guarantees that something else may not break. It is a rebuild and not remanufacture so for another hundred and change a new one is a good deal. I will be getting it through his shop at a discount, so it is a no brainer. I did look into the Delco but this is EXACTLY the same as the one being taken out, which I prefer, Peter
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Good show, Skip!

Thanks for updating the success of your conversion.

It will help others that may read this thread.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Those local places that only replace what's broken I would stay far away. Ever think that maybe that's why it only lasts for a short amount of time? I guess that's one way for them to increase their revenues if people buy into that type of repair philosophy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Wow. Sounds a bit cynical to me. A $200 rebuild is almost 4 times the revenue of my $55 rebuild. What exactly does a COMPLETE rebuild entail? When you send yours away to a "non-local" repair facility, do you absolutely know for sure what they did to it? If so, tell me how you know this?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have had my OEM Leece-Neville alternator rebuilt three times in its 13 years of life.
It gets completely rebuilt each time regardless of whether the part is bad or not plus I always take it to a reputable rebuild shop. Hell, that's why it's in the shop in the first place, something broke inside and it is not working. If they only replaced what's not working then I would expect to back sooner than later.
Those local places that only replace what's broken I would stay far away. Ever think that maybe that's why it only lasts for a short amount of time?
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Agreed
Any reputable "alternator rebuilder" completely rebuilds alternators, replacing every possible component with new top quality parts, (which makes a rebuilt as good, or better than, new).

Replacing only the parts that are not working is simply fixing an alternator. (aka: the "bandaid method").

I run a professionally rebuilt alternator and carry a fixed one as a spare.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #23

$55.00 sounds like a good price for a rebuild. My brother has been a mechanic for 40 years and he said there really is only one shop I would recommend taking it to. I called them and they said it will be somewhere in the rage of $150.00 to $225.00. I also called Leece-Neville tech support, granted, they are in the business of selling new units however, the person on the phone was very helpful and honest. They said it is a 9 year old unit, so this will fail in some other way eventually when it will be most inconvenient.

Someone else had posted on this thread that they had theirs rebuilt 3 times in 13 years, so I got good mileage out of mine. I might not be so lucky next time and it could fail while travelling on the road, which will cost a lot more than doing it now. The labor for the job is free, but if on the road you can add another $150 - $200 on top of that for a mechanic. There's the difference of a new one the way I see it. Not worth the hassle, stress, and inconvenience to go that way. I am a firm believer of fixing things when that is the easiest and cost efficient route. For me this is why I choose a new over a rebuild.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Air Baron,

Not cynical, just common sense. I don't and will never send mine anyplace. I drive it there, drop it off right at the rebuild shop, tell them exactly what I want and a couple days later it's done. Go back, pick it up, pay for it which should not be anymore than $200 and quite often it's less.

This is not rocket science, its rebuilding a device that has been in existence for decades similar to starters, generators, etc.

HOW DOES AN ALTERNATOR WORK?

The shops that I go to look like they had never been clean from the first day they opened. Lots of everything laying around but the work has always been excellent.

If you want to find a reputable shop talk to anyone that drives an OTR truck or one of the large truck repair centers as to who they use in the local area.

JMTCW

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #25

Oh, I know how an alternator works. I have been an auto mechanic, avionics technician in the Navy, electrical assembler at FMC Northern Ordnance, diesel power generation sales engineer at both Detroit Diesel and Cummins, as well as program manager for assembling the Allison Gas Turbine DDG-51 generator set for the Navy.

I just question your blanket statements about repairing something as simple as an automotive alternator, as well as the capabilities and motives behind those that do it for a living.

Look, maybe some people are travelling full time and do not have the ability to locate a "reputable shop" that will "completely" rebuild their alternator at the drop of a hat. From what I can tell, my alternator had never been repaired in 13 years. Sounds like you are having considerable trouble with your "complete" $200 rebuilds over the last 13 years.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
am a firm believer of fixing things when that is the easiest and cost efficient route.
I agree. Unfortunately, the DW does not. She just calls me a pessimist, and that my inherent negativity causes bad things to happen at the worst possible time.

The aviation industry operates on the replace everything on a schedule principle, because when something fails...it is a lot more serious than just pulling over to the side of the road.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #27

Are you sure you are not talking about my DW. I may have to agree with her though. You certainly would not want a alt failure in the air. In my travels I have had many things happen in the air especially in third world countries that do not adopt that principle of replace at a certain date. They sale a lot of chicken wire in those countries!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #28

As a side-note has anyone here used the LSL products? More specifically the Amps-L- Start. My unit does not charge the Chassis batteries when on shore power or gen. For $60.00 it seems like a great investment. Any thoughts?