Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

Left signal causes all lights to flash

All of a sudden the signals are not working in my 2005travel supreme coach. The right signal works fine and normal but as soon as I turn on the left signal all of the lights blink. This would be the rear centre brake light as well as the left and right turn signals as well as both left and right rear brake lights. This problem showed up when checking to see if everything was working after hooking up the tow car. I thought it was the car wiring but it is only on the coach as it does the same thing without the car being attached. I thought it may be the actual flasher unit and I may start there. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know

Thanks

Ron
trvlsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Sounds like a ground wire problem to me. Check and make sure all the grounds are good. I would ground each light socket independently till I found the problem. Bad grounds cause all kinds of funky things to happen.
rv9apilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9apilot View Post
Sounds like a ground wire problem to me. Check and make sure all the grounds are good. I would ground each light socket independently till I found the problem. Bad grounds cause all kinds of funky things to happen.
X2 and also check the bulbs for a broken filament.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

X2 on the broken filament wire. If the turn signal filament wire just broke, not burned out, it can hang over on the tail light filament and feed power to the tail light circuit and cause all lights on the tail light circuit to flash.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
X2 on the broken filament wire. If the turn signal filament wire just broke, not burned out, it can hang over on the tail light filament and feed power to the tail light circuit and cause all lights on the tail light circuit to flash.
Not common, but a possibility.
The way to check this is to run the test at night.
if you turn on the bad turn signal, the other lights will be dimmer. This indicates a bad ground. If the lights are normal brightness, then it us likely the bad filament.

Edited....this is not your problem since your center brake light is also coming on.
A broken filament could only short to the tail light filament......no way for it to cause the other turn signal to light up.

Dan
Old 06-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

Could be the signal light switch.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #7

Over 90% of all 12V problems can be traced back to a poor ground.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle21 View Post
X2 and also check the bulbs for a broken filament.
I was also thinking ground and then bad light bulb. I wouldn't even inspect it. Just go ahead and change it.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to snewsom
Had the same thing happen on my rig. Was sure it was a bad ground wire.
Spent some time running down the ground to find out it was just a bad bulb. Next time I will at least try a new bulb first.
snewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK....I have $1.73 that I am ready to bet on the fact that it is a ground problem

I can see a bad bulb where the filament breaks and shorts to the other filament in that bulb. Looking at a turn signal/brake filament, the only other thing it can short to would be the tail light filament.
Since the OP says that his center brake AND all other turn/brake lights turn on, it has to be a ground problem.

The simple test for this is turn on the left turn signal (bad one).
Locate the ground wire that is coming out of the back of the rear light assembly.
Using a jumper, provide an additional connection to a good solid ground.
Use a dental probe to pierce the insulation for the connection.
That should make things work...if not, try the same thing on the front signal.

If either of those two tests do not make it work, send me your address, and I will be sending a cashiers check......

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Had a similar problem, squirrels, (Tree rats) ate the wires behind the taillight. Definitely connects everything together...

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #12

The idea that a bad ground would make lights come on, that shouldn't come on just doesn't make any since in a vehicle.
If you had lights that wouldn't come on, that should come on, then a bad ground would be a reasonable explanation.
I'm still with the bad bulb w/broken filament, I've seen that happen.
I've never seen lights come on because they had a bad ground, even though an electrical circuit could be built to do just that.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #13

I have seen this happen because the solder terminal had actually melted on the bulb and fused the two circuits together(not as uncommon as you may think). I have also seen it when wires were touching in either the trailer plug or receptacle.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #14

Problem is resolved. Yahoo.........
It turns out that the trailer light adapted had a brain Fart. Likely one of the diodes had a melt down and allowed the power to flow through from the signal light to the brake lights.
Thank you all for the suggestions. What a great group of fellow RV ers with an abundance of knowledge

Happy trails.......... Until the next crisis..... Lol

Ron
trvlsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights