Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2008, 11:38 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Sarge,

Thanks for the info on CA, speed limit while towing. I've been to California several times,and during my travels noticed that most truckers respect the 55 mph speed limit or max around 59-60. But RV's mostly during week end, the don't respect speed limits. Seen a lot of them driving a speed above 75 mph on the left lane following very close to the vehicule in front of them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:
You're fine. The license requirement only applies when your tow vehicle is 45 feet or longer. Your MH appears to be well under 45 feet....
Here's a link to a California state web site that describes license requirements.
Craig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I just wanted to clarify what Craig stated...As per the link he provided-you will find this info...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:

A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...so in other words...you must have that license if you are in a rig over 40 ft...not over 45 ft.I found the info at this link off of Craig's link....

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #17

Yeah I know. They are the same ones that won't slow down in the rain and wind up crashing. It's kind of like natural selection in the animal kingdom. Survival of the smartest.......

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:
You're fine. The license requirement only applies when your tow vehicle is 45 feet or longer. Your MH appears to be well under 45 feet....
Here's a link to a California state web site that describes license requirements.
Craig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I just wanted to clarify what Craig stated...As per the link he provided-you will find this info...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:

A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...so in other words...you must have that license if you are in a rig over 40 ft...not over 45 ft.I found the info at this link off of Craig's link....

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 45' housecar is the biggest that is legal. Anything over that would require a commercial operators license. The non-commercial part of the class B means that you don't have to have the annual medical release to maintain your commercial license.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
I suspect that any fixed frame rig over 45 feet long is not legal in CA.

Only vehicles with trailers attached can be longer than 45 feet?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
...so in other words...you must have that license if you are in a rig over 40 ft...not over 45 ft </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the correction MM, sorry for the confusion. I meant to say 40 feet, but for some reason my fingers typed 45. Is this the first sign that I need to retire now?

This is all correct. You must have a driver's license endorsement to drive anything over 40' in California, but this only applies to California residents. Drivers from other states can abide by their state's laws.

45' is the maximum allowable length of a motorhome, not including any towable. The maximum length of any vehicle combination (i.e. motorhome towing a trailer), is 65 feet. This applies to all vehicles, whether registered in Cailfornia or not.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #21

Another good reason not to live in the Republic of Kalifornia.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everytime I watch the RVTV show I am curious as to how that coach can travel anywhere. It is a Powerhouse coach and it is 53 feet long.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
Another good reason not to live in the Republic of Kalifornia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like it or not, it's where I'm proud to call home.

I wouldn't think of slamming your home state, but then again you must not be too proud of it since you don't bother listing it in your signature...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #24

Sorry you took it personally. I was born in Louisiana and live in Florida.

Eddie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
Another good reason not to live in the Republic of Kalifornia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like it or not, it's where I'm proud to call home.

I wouldn't think of slamming your home state, but then again you must not be too proud of it since you don't bother listing it in your signature...

Craig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's remember our mission statement and avoid the personal comments.

Thanks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote