Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lemon Law

I have had too many problems with the last couple of coaches ( I have had 6 in the last 10 years). I bought a new Winnibego Tour last year and have had so many problems that I am considering a lemon law solution.

Has any one ever had success getting their money back using that process?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

If you document all repairs you could have a shot. However each time you must have given the dealer a chance or warranty a chance to repair. The period of time is not too stretched out for the lemon law to work. I really do not know the time limit

Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Check the Lemon Laws in your state. In a lot of states the Lemon Law does not apply to RVs. Have you discussed in a non threating way your problems with the manufacturer? You could also contact Good Sam Action Line and request help from them.

Good Luck
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #4

I think you need to review the specifics of the law for your state. I have two friends that tried the lemon laws for different states with these results:

Texas. The owner was getting run around between the coach, chassis and tire manufacturer for severe vibration problems. Merely telling then he planned to initiate the lemon law process brought a very significant improvement in resolving his problem.

Kentucky. The owner had a true "lemon" with a $250,000 coach. His lawyer said our state didn't have a very strong lemon law, but the manufacturer finally bought the coach back. Albeit at a much reduced price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobslink View Post
I have had too many problems with the last couple of coaches ( I have had 6 in the last 10 years). I bought a new Winnibego Tour last year and have had so many problems that I am considering a lemon law solution.

Has any one ever had success getting their money back using that process?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #5

If you are in Florida, you should read this Florida Attorney General - Recreation Vehicles

One important portion of what is listed on this site "Certain parts or components of recreation vehicles are NOT COVERED under Florida’s Lemon Law. These are referred to in the law as the "living facilities," which are defined as portions of the vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily as living quarters, such as the flooring, plumbing system and fixtures, roof air conditioner, furnace, generator, electrical systems other than automotive circuits, the side entrance door, exterior components and windows other than the windshield and driver and front passenger windows. This is not a complete list."

Good luck
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had two friends in California who had their motorhomes purchased back by the manufactuer after repeated, well documented, serious problems. It required the aid of an attorney who was familiar with laws etc. which excluded the family attorney who had no experience in this area.

Don
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #7

You might have a shot if they are truly safety issues and you could be killed driving it and a good well payed lawyer who always win no matter if you lose.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailer6334 View Post
Check the Lemon Laws in your state. In a lot of states the Lemon Law does not apply to RVs. Have you discussed in a non threating way your problems with the manufacturer? You could also contact Good Sam Action Line and request help from them.

Good Luck
Or only applies to the chassis
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #9

I had Jeep swap mine out for another new one, let me say that the problems were engine related and started on the second day of ownership. Their first solution was replace the engine, I refused because I didn't want mismatched serial numbers. Took 3 weeks but I got a new one. This is in PA that has a pretty strong lemon law. They cover the chassis systems of an RV but not the house. I think the RVIA lobbied for that.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
In Georgia, it only applies to safety issues. In my fifteen years, we had two buybacks and both were brake related.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #11

You will only get help with the Frieightliner chassis and nothing else under Fl lemon law. That is the law here.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Too bad. Things must have gone drastically bad in the past year as it seemed you really liked your Tour and was the best motorhome you've ever owned:

2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD

That link to the Florida Attorney General's site that jzick posted is a good one and explains the law in plain terms. Do we assume that all the problems you're having are "house" items?

Freightliner Custom Chassis, from all that we can tell, will work with you on nagging problems and will usually be able to work things out with a customer before they have to make a lemon-law-claim.

It also seems that Winnebago will work with a customer too on most problems but we've seen some complaints that don't seem to get ironed out in a reasonable amount of time.

After all, you have the top of the line both in the Winnebago line and with the Freightliner Maxim chassis. More than three attempts at fixing things doesn't sound like either company.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #13

What in the world is wrong with your coach to want to Lemon Law?? It will be a long process for sure.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for your input.

We have contacted Winnebago and it seems this our best bet. They have been most accommodating in that they will get the coach back to their facility and attempt to satisfy us.

The problem has been a continuous major leak in the big slide. We are concerned about mold and mildew issues. Those of course are hidden problems, so we really don't want to get back in the coach. Furniture, carpet and cabinets have been totally soaked 4 times.

Hope it all works out.
Thanks again for your input.