Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I suggest you due more research than just a lawyer's website. From the Arkansas DMV web site concerning applicability of the states lemon law.

NOTE: The Arkansas lemon law does not cover:
  • Mopeds.
  • Motorcycles.
  • The living area in a motorhome.
  • Vehicles weighing more than 13,000 lbs.
The exceptions noted above disqualify many RV's including the OP's motorhome..

OK, it was never my intent to make this nitpicky or an argument about Arkansas. My intent was to point out that some people wrote RV's are never covered and all you need to do was google your state laws to see what they actually said. This posters reply to my statement just emphasizes another point to look at more than one site. I also very strongly advocate talking to an attorney in the state that is applicable. Now as far as this reply to my post. I did some more research. This is from a brochure from the Arkansas Attorney General about the Arkansas Lemon Law.

"Who Is Covered Under The Lemon
Any consumer who buys, leases, or licenses a
new motor vehicle in the State of Arkansas is
covered by the Lemon Law during the time
period described below.
The consumer is protected during the term of
the manufacturer’s warranty for up to two (2)
years after the original delivery date of the
vehicle OR for the first 24,000 miles, whichever
occurs last. If the vehicle is transferred to
someone else during this period, that owner or
person leasing the vehicle is also covered
under the Lemon Law.
IMPORTANT: The Lemon Law does NOT cover
the living quarters of mobile homes. The Lemon
Law does NOT cover vehicles over 10,000
pounds gross vehicle weight rating. However,
motor homes over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle
weight rating are covered."

It is easy to misread or understand things and then put them out as what you think is correct. I have done that before. If you read what the Atorney General says. The living Quarters of MOBILE HOMES are not coverred. Mobile homes are trailer houses that you live in often they are double wide and pulled my Semi Tractor trailer rigs and parked on a foundation of some kind. Now as you read at the bottom it says MOTOR HOMES over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight are covered. The Attorney General notes their is a difference between MOBILE HOMES and MOTOR HOMES. My Allegro Bus is a Motor home if i had bought it new then it would have been covered under the Arkansas lemon law.

When we read these laws and give advice we need to be careful what we read and say.

Once again if any doubt at all contact an attorney. If i have any questions at all about a matter that might be a legal issue I discuss them with an attorney licensed in the state of Arkansas.

2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
The OP has Florida for the address so it's likely Arkansas laws are not material.
As I stated previously the house is not covered on RV's , only the chassis/running gear. Please reference Florida Statute 681.102(14) , where it states:
Parts or components of RVs not covered under Florida’s Lemon Law include “living facilities” which are defined as portions of the vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily as living quarters, such as the flooring, plumbing system and fixtures, roof air conditioner, furnace, generator, electrical systems other than automotive circuits, the side entrance door, exterior components and windows other than the windshield and driver and front passenger windows.
As i pointed out in my original post all states have their own laws about the subjects. I was just pointing out that you can google State RV laws for your state. I also was pointing out to the people that said the coach was not covered that Arkansas Lemon law appears to do that. I do not know florida law nor would I attempt to tell someone what it says. I was just pointing out that all states are different and someone saying that no coaches are covered might not be correct in every state.

2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by TGarrett View Post
Just wondering if anyone has invoked the Lemon Law when attempts to get major repairs done to your motor coach have failed. Also what was the outcome? Suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks.
Here is a florida Attorney General website on Lemon Laws I should have just posted this the first time and shut up about the subject.

Florida Attorney General - Recreation Vehicles
2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Lemon Law

Originally Posted by TGarrett View Post
Just wondering if anyone has invoked the Lemon Law when attempts to get major repairs done to your motor coach have failed. Also what was the outcome? Suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks.
I want to thank all who have responded to my question. The problems we are experiencing seem to be with the chassis. The Jacks Down warning light and beeping sound, for instance, have come on 63 times in less than two months (more previously). The Winnebago factory said it was over-filling of the hydraulic fluid and they drained some of the fluid. Not. Another repair place replaced a sensor. Another place only looked for oil leaks and didn't find any. They also said they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Perhaps an even greater issue is that while we are driving, all the dash gauges sweep to zero for about 3-5 seconds losing power yet the engine continues to operate. Freightliner ran a diagnostics test and discovered there is a fault that runs throughout the chassis but could not, would not find a more definitive code in order to resolve the problem. Winnebago said leave the coach with Freightliner. Freightliner says they will not start replacing various components in order to find the problem because some of the computers costs from $3-5K. They further said that they only supply the parts to the manufacturer and from that point they don't know if the manufacturer modifies their part(s) or not disclaiming their responsibility in making the repair. Our ONLY "solution" according to both Winnebago and Freightliner was for us to pay out of pocket for extensive diagnostics, e.g., paying two technicians to drive the coach (hooked up to a computer) for how ever long it takes for the gauges to sweep. This could take a day, a week, or even two weeks because we have no idea when it will occur again.

As for the inconvenience factor, we definitely are inconvenienced. We have been "stuck" out West (warmer climate) since 10/17 waiting to get an appointment currently scheduled for 11/11. We are here because the furnace stopped working and we were leery of continuing driving another 2K miles to our destination to combat winter weather without heat along with the other issues. After calling several surrounding repair places and not being able to get the RV in quickly, our plans changed to having to winter over. This was definitely not in our plans and has caused a major disruption in our lives as well as additional expenses.

Florida's Lemon Law does cover the non-housing issues according to the Attorney General's office. We contacted a well-advertised lawyer's office that stated no charge to the claimant whether they won the case or not. When my husband talked with them, they wanted $500 up front to get started. We declined their services.

The advice to document, document, document was well received. We definitely are not through with these attempts to get the coach repaired. Our luck isn't so great as to expect a new coach, but our expectation is that either or both of these companies live up to their warranties.

By the way, we've also had other major "house" problems. Winnebago replaced the driver's side window and still owes us a passenger side window (well documented). We had water coming in from the windshield area. Took the RV into Camping World three times and finally (hopefully) they found the problem. Water was coming in via an outside light fixture above the windshield. It is quite possible in my opinion that water may have seeped down into the side control panel. The coach was built in 2013 but we bought it late fall 2014 (new). This leakage could very well have started long before we bought it.

It has been one thing after the other and the frustration is that it takes multiple trips to get an item actually repaired.

Thanks for listening and any further advice or comments are indeed appreciated.

TGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #19
Freightliner Owners Club
When I purchased my RV in June, I had to sign for a copy of this booklet from the State of Florida. It included an insert on Recreational Vehicles. (same info as gemini's post #17 above)

Florida has a contact number for help with the Lemon Law 1-800-321-5366
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
There is federal "lemon law" that probably applies. May be a breach of warranty case, even if local (state) laws don't apply.

I shall say no more....

well, a little more - to paraphrase: the Federal law is called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, It’s a statute that i applies to cars, or any products that cost over $25 and are covered by a manufacturers warranty. What is says is that if you find that you have to get your car repaired three or more times for the same thing, it means that the warranty has not proven to efficient or very effective.

You can read some more about it at one of the lemon law sites:

Let me just say, I know someone who has contacted that particular firm....
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #21
Not very helpful if you won't say anymore?

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote