Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Lemon laws

Does anyone know anything about Lemon Laws for RVs? I bought a used Tiffin 38QBA with only 16,000 miles on it. To date, I have taken it in for service for 7, count them, 7 'check engine' lights and 'stop engine' lights. At present I am out about $4000. Each time, Cummins said it was a Freightliner problem and Freightliner said it is a Cummins problem! And that's when the fight started!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I bought a used Tiffin 38QBA with only 16,000 miles on it.
I'm going to say buying used is going to cancel out anything to do with a "Lemon Law" What year is the coach?

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In most states buying used means as is. Sounds like your mechanics are not good at diagnosing problems.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #4

Buying used will always mean Caveat Emptor!
Buyer beware.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Might just skip over the locals and call Cumins and see what they have to say. It might just be an intermittent sensor problem and if it doesn't throw codes it can be a real problem to find. Check the coolant level. Might give us the motor you have and post in the Cumins section for help, most likely your not the first with the same problem. Give as much detail as you can as to what when why how hot cold run time that day, anything that might show like symptoms.

LEN
Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Here is your problem: " I bought a used Tiffin 38QBA with only 16,000 miles on it."

Lemon laws do not apply to the second owner. Your best bet it to suck it up and remain with a reputable Cummins shop and find the problem. If there is a check engine light or a stop engine, there should be a code thrown by the ECM
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

His signature says it's a 2011. Mike, I agree with others, contact Cummins directly. You should still be in warranty and you might have to find another dealer to take it to.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #8

1. No Lemon Laws for RV's
2. Lemon Laws are only for NEW auto's

Ed
Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lemon law

Not true, California definitely has a lemon law. Here's the state web site

www.dca.ca.gov/acp/caprv.shtml

Google lemon law in your state and you will get any thing you want to know. Walt
Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
1. No Lemon Laws for RV's
2. Lemon Laws are only for NEW auto's

Ed
The Florida Lemon Law covers RV's except for parts of the vehicle "...characterized as living facilities". So, the chassis is definitely covered in FL.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMahan View Post
Does anyone know anything about Lemon Laws for RVs? I bought a used Tiffin 38QBA with only 16,000 miles on it. To date, I have taken it in for service for 7, count them, 7 'check engine' lights and 'stop engine' lights. At present I am out about $4000. Each time, Cummins said it was a Freightliner problem and Freightliner said it is a Cummins problem! And that's when the fight started!
A good lawyer with writing the right letter to both companies, along with Tiffin for working it out together, should cost a lot less than $4000 and you might first try, calling Bob Tiffin directly, who has a reputation for talking thing over with the owners. Might even ask if you'd like bringing it in to the factory, which may or may not be an option.
As for any Lemon Laws, I doubt seriously if any will apply in this case, but could be wrong about that.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Part of my problem is that my spouse loves the layout due to the bunk beds for the granddaughter. I bought it used assuming that all the 'bugs' have been fixed. I know about assume so please don't go there. The dealership, Reines RV, apparently has written me off. Every time it happened, the computer showed a different code. This time it was the transmission filter and alternator, which showed an output of 15.9 volts vs 14.7. One time coming back from St. Louis, where we had to put father-in-law in altimizer home, the 'check transmission' light came on. Alllison put computer on it and discovered, for $149, it was not transmission problem, so off to Freightliner. Called Tiffin yesterday and I left a message on Bob Tiffin's answering machine but he has not gotten back to me. I wish I was rich enough to afford a 2014, but I'm simply a retired military man, who did his job as he saw it.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #13

Don't go the Reines, go to Cummins. I'm saying a real Cummins facility and not just an authorized service center. There was one in Manassas and large one near Baltimore.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMahan View Post
Part of my problem is that my spouse loves the layout due to the bunk beds for the granddaughter. I bought it used assuming that all the 'bugs' have been fixed. I know about assume so please don't go there. The dealership, Reines RV, apparently has written me off. Every time it happened, the computer showed a different code. This time it was the transmission filter and alternator, which showed an output of 15.9 volts vs 14.7. One time coming back from St. Louis, where we had to put father-in-law in altimizer home, the 'check transmission' light came on. Alllison put computer on it and discovered, for $149, it was not transmission problem, so off to Freightliner. Called Tiffin yesterday and I left a message on Bob Tiffin's answering machine but he has not gotten back to me. I wish I was rich enough to afford a 2014, but I'm simply a retired military man, who did his job as he saw it.
Whatever problems you're having, it's not because it a used unit, as every coach on the road is used. In fact, we would consider your model, new, by comparison. Having said that, we bought ours at 9yrs old and the third owner and must say it couldn't have treated us any better with what we paid and once we straightened out some quirks.
With a new unit, you just pay a lot more up front for a warranty, which is usually a real PITA and take much more of a depreciation hit, which it the biggest cost of ownership. I mean your coach, was once new also, or at least while it was still sitting on the Dealer's lot.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote