Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #1

Length considerations

At the risk of starting another war, I'm looking for opinions. Obviously, a shorter RV is easier to maneuver, but I find that the extra space and longer wheelbase of a longer RV makes for a more comfortable ride and a more comfortable RVing experience overall. Am I being naive? Opinions? Experiences?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The longer the wheelbase the better ride, comfort and living space you will have to enjoy.

Since I have been living in my coach for the last 10 years and have no idea how much longer, God willing, that I have for this RV lifestyle, if I could have afforded a 45 foot coach at the time I would have but I feel with the purchase of the 2002 40 foot Windsor PBT, I got the very BEST coach for the money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Your thoughts are correct. Go as large as you are comfortable with, and you can afford. If just not sure you will like RVing, then buy small to test the waters, and plan on trading up down the road. It is hard to buy your last coach first. This is our third coach, and we now have everything we need. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we started considering a Class A we were pulling a 36' 5er. We figured that if you deduct the front cockpit area in a class A you are losing 3 to 4 feet of actual living area, so we would need a 40' Class A to have about the same amount of living area that we were accustomed to. That's how we ended up with the 40' Windsor.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

43 feet with a tag axle is our choice. The tag axle is great for added road stability. We can't get in the smaller spots, or deep in the woods, but we have never regretted having more interior room than comes with a shorter coach.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lacy View Post
43 feet with a tag axle is our choice. The tag axle is great for added road stability. We can't get in the smaller spots, or deep in the woods, but we have never regretted having more interior room than comes with a shorter coach.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Big motorhomes can handle poorly. Just do a search using wandering in the search criteria.
That said, they can indeed be fun to drive and have lots of room. The disadvantage is not being able to get into some camping places.

The advantage is having space large enough to live in full time.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

I can get our 42' tag in places I could not get my 35' HR fifth wheel, mostly due to the long wheelbase on the F450 crew cab. Have never regretted buying a larger coach with a tag.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

We F/T in a 33 foot A, 2 slides. But what we aint got, we dont need.

Met a couple with a 45 foot A, 4 slides. But between him storing more tools than a truck shop, and her collection of Longaberger baskets and such, they had no room left. They had less useable space than us, and the rig was obviously over weight.

Everybody is not the same!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #10

The newer MHs are doing so much with interior space and design. Also the ride has greatly improved thru the yrs. I would recommend spending some serious think time pondering what you will be doing in the MH. How many people will be traveling with you or do you want to entertain inside the MH.
The wife and I have been rving for 30something yrs. Looking back it seems we would change MHs according to what we were into at the time. One phase of our life we spent alot of time on the superslap going great distances in short periods of time. So we wanted long, fast and luxurious. Another phase we like the backwoods camping so we went short, low and easy to maneuver. Another was a 43 ft toy hauler.
We did not always make the right decisions in campers but we seemed to always have fun. Now it seems to be all about our 3 weenie dogs. So I sold the Class B that I thought was perfect but the wife and the weenies did not like it because the weenies did not have any floor space to run around. Now we just purchased a Phaeton 36GH. The weenies have plenty of room with the slides out, it rides super smooth and I can handle it better than a 40 fter. In my 60s I do like the big TV, fireplace and a euro chair.
RVing has just been our thing thru the years.
I hope you enjoy RVing and you choice serves you well.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went from a 28' w/o slides to a 37' with super slide in the living and another slide in the bedroom. Don't find the coach appreciably harder to get around. Love the space.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #12

I'm pretty comfortable with handling large vehicles. I've driven buses and 18-wheelers for a living in the past, including in tight spots. So I think the tradeoff is worth it, and it sounds like most people here concur.

I have noticed wandering on a few (actually many) of the RVs I've driven, seems to be a common problem. A tag axle may be a good solution, but they are apparently not prevalent on RVs in my price range. Seems to be more of a higher-end option.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #13

Folks lived full time for years in old 40 ft provosts with no slides. A 34 ft do with full slide has more room and does not have to go to truck stops.

We love our coach!!!
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txviking View Post
At the risk of starting another war, I'm looking for opinions. Obviously, a shorter RV is easier to maneuver, but I find that the extra space and longer wheelbase of a longer RV makes for a more comfortable ride and a more comfortable RVing experience overall. Am I being naive? Opinions? Experiences?
I think you just said it all!!....Now go shopping