Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you everyone for all of the great feedback.

Our ideal coach would be 35 or 36' so we will be able to get into most campgrounds without pushing the size limits. However, we also have our list of must-have's and hope-to-have's in the coach that we buy. Unfortunately, the used motor home factory doesn't take orders, and there are a lot more 38 & 40' coaches to choose from. We're just trying to figure out the extent to which we should adjust our size limits.

-Glenn
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
As I was out this last summer, I did run into a couple of issues. The first was at a state park in Florida; I had reserved a site online that appeared adequate. When I showed up, the kind lady at the desk pointed out that I was out of my mind, and moved me into one of their largest spots, which I almost fit into... It was obvious that when the CG was built, they were not counting on me rocking up with a 45' 5'er and dually.
The only other problem I had, and wasn't really a problem, was a couple of CG's telling me they just didn't have a site big enough to handle my rig. Fair enough, and thanks for your honesty.
It should be noted that except for the State Park, I did call each of the ten or eleven other campgrounds individually, and spoke with an employee at least, if not an owner of manager. I credit this with the ease in getting in and out of everywhere I went.
It should also be said that unlike others, I do believe in planning my trip, and reserving in anywhere that I am going to stay more than an overnight. Also, while I do a lot of my research online, I will always call the place and have a dialog, thus obviating any unexpected surprises due to online booking.
I also point out that I am in a 45' toyhauler, and will need 65' just to park, and would prefer a longer site if possible, so as to unload/load the bike. I also mention that I am a solo'er, so if at all possible would be much happier in a pull through. I have found every one I have dealt with to be very willing to set me up as required. I did seem to hear an awful lot of "this is our biggest/bestest spot"
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As Dave says...trust through verification.

Talking to those that know the CG can fill in a lot of details that may be important for folks to know about good sites. In some cases you will get info on how level a site is which can be just as important as if it is long enough to get into.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I once read that if a limit is shown for a campground, it usually means there is something available for a larger RV but not enough spaces to make it known. Do those of you who travel often and use state/national parks find that to be true? We definitely took size into consideration when we purchased our coach, and have not been impacted yet. There are places we would love to stay in which designate limits of 22 to 25 feet so we'd be restricted by our size even if we were still towing our TT. The advice to phone a campground to find out if they have any sites that will work for you is solid, regardless of what the publication states. Most employees seem to be well aware of what will work in their park and factor in the roads and their navigability. Always good to have a backup plan too.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Also, be aware that your 35' MH maybe longer than 35 feet. I know some 38' Monaco rigs approach 40'.

Our 38' rig is exactly 38 feet. When reserving, I ask for 40'. Have yet to not be able to use the assigned site.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #20

I know there are several Fleetwood diesel models that are listed at 36 or less feet. You might want to check some of the Rv sales sites and look for some like the Discovery 35H.

As conformation to the about poster, our 38N is actually 39.5 feet.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Well it may not be an issue... we'll see how the inspection and negotiation go. Looking at a 34' 2000 Monaco Dynasty with low miles. It has a 330 ISC engine and we'll be towing a Jeep Wrangler. I realize I'm now off topic, but my only concern with this picture is whether I have sufficient power to comfortably climb the mountain passes in my area (up to 12,000 ft.).
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Problem solved, we bought the Dynasty 34 York and it has the upgraded 350 engine not the 330 so pulling the Jeep through the mountains and getting into almost any campground won't be an issue.

Thanks to all for all of the great feedback. Now its time to go buy tires and hit the road.