Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Length Limitations at Campgrounds

First the question then the background...

When a campground publishes the size limits for a site do they tend to enforce it? Specifically, they say a site is for RV's up to 36' in length and you have a 40'. Is this always, mostly or sometimes enforced?

We are taking our time to purchase a DP and we live in Colorado. There are lots of great parks and campgrounds that don't have sites larger than 35' in length. We are OK with buying a 35' coach but our options are greatly reduced over a 38 or 40' unit. Anyone have experience that they wish to share in taking a larger coach into campgrounds that have smaller sites?

MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have never run into that problem with my 44' but have not camped all over the place. I have been known to say mine is 42' just to aviod eyebrows being raised.

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I know here in south dakota with the state parks they just say what the length is. It is my choice if I can really fit. However if I dont fit I loose the first night stays money.

I do believe that most campgrounds will measure a little short. So if they say 35' it may be 38', plus if you look at campground sites. They may have it where you can back up and let the backend hang over onto the grass(if you have grass behind the site).
2009 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab
1999 R29RL King of the road.
3 kids and a beautiful wife.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi MandG-Fun,
The length limitation is not only for the site, but for the ability to manuver the CG roads and enter/exit the site. Trees create a lot of work for RV body shops. The decision for you is which is the most important; where you RV or what you RV in. For me, I purchased the coach that met my requirements. I RV where the coach is welcome.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Well said Gary
2009 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab
1999 R29RL King of the road.
3 kids and a beautiful wife.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Last summer, we went to arches national park. I didn't camp in the park, as the website said the max rv length was something like 30 feet!
But I did drive the jeep up to the campground and talked to the host, and he drove me around in his golfcart, and showed me like 8 sites where a 40 foot 4 slide DP would fit. I noted them on my brochure, and someday...

You cannot really go by the reservation websites.

If you can find a real phone number, and actually talk to the camp host or ranger out at the campground, you may find a solution.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

I have a 36 ft Class A and I pull a 16 ft dual wheen trailer filled with Harleys...I have caused some issues in the past..

Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Vintage RV Owners Club
Length "limits" are really just a be-warned thing...a "don't blame us if you're too big to get in/around" red flag. And as noted above, since one's been warned, if the rig doesn't fit on arrival, one's likely to lose some/all of site fees.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
So anyone with an over 40' unit? What situations has that caused you?
Started our journey: 2015 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, 2016 Forest River Vengeance Touring 39R12 toy hauler, Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited.
Mr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It works both ways. I went to a CG this summer that said I should be able to fit a 45' MH in the slot we selected for our 39' MH. WELL...Yes BARELY got my 39' in there. There was a tree across the road to this back in site that was right in the way and I had to make a lot of strange moves to work around it with 2 friendly spotters. The other spots around me weren't so tight.

If I had a DP with a longer wheel base it would have been even tougher. Getting out of there was a bit of a challenge because once I got back to the road I had to go around a loop that was rather tight. Then...backtracking a bit, coming off of the main park road onto the road leading to my spot I had to drive between 3 trees that were in the shape of a V on a curve. That was tight also and a longer WB would have also challenged me.

So...it does take a little scouting out. We didn't have a toad to pre-drive the route into the park and then to the spot. I have learned from this that when we get our toad that we will unhook it just before we get to a new CG and scout ahead first.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Master of Disaster

As others have said, you can't put a 40' motorhome in a 36' space. However, if the issue is maneuvering, a 40' DP will go where no 36' gasser will dare to tread... so in the end it's pretty variable in most cases.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
In Ohio we have camped at State Parks that don't check our RV length with the site we reserved. We have camped several times at Cedar Point in Sandusky which by the way is one of the greatest vacations our family has taken. However, every year I put the length of our RV on our website reservation and every year they try to stick us in a spot we don't fit. There are either trees preventing us from getting the appropriate angle to get in or just too short. I always wondered why they ask our length if they aren't going to consider it.
2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit, 33' w/ 1 slide.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Glenn,

As Gary said, maneuvering is just one of the aspects of having a larger/longer coach. When I call for reservations i always ask, or tell, them that I have a 40 foot MH. Many a time I have been thanked for telling them that and they have accommodated me with a little larger site than they had planned on giving me. On several occasions maneuvering through the trees was a challenge, but I made it. Many times parking the toad was horizontally in front of the MH as there just was no room to nose or back in for parking.

When it comes to many state and federal parks one has to remember when the park was first constructed. Campers at that time were 20+/- feet, so a 36 foot space was more than enough for a trailer and a tow vehicle. Some of the state and federal parks have remodeled and can accommodate the larger MH's.

So where do you want to stay? What do you want to stay in for comfort?

Happy trails.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
Our only negative experience was with Reserve America. I think they are a nation wide orgination that a lot of parks use for reservations. Since they are not really familiar with the parks, they can easily put you in a site you can't get in. We told them our coach was 39.5 ft long. They put us in a site that we could not get completely into on a curve. It was for a 38 foot model. For this rally there were no other sites available, so we jammed into it as best we could. During our stay someone bumped into the front of our coach damaging the bra, and scratching the paint. From them on, we always tell them we are a 42 footer. Haven't had a problem since. The other thing we do is find a local number for a park where we plan to stay. Calling them will usually get you the site number that you can fit into easily. We then reserve only those sites. I would think you can call the parks in CO. you plan to visit, or check their website and find out if you would have a problem with a 38-40 footer.

Good luck

Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote