Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #1

Length restrictions

In planning routes to some destinations I have noticed that some states, i.e. Washington DC, Maryland and a few others have length restrictions of 40 ft. on motor homes.

I wonder just how strict those locations are when you traverse those locations?

Would be interested to know if you live or stay in those locations and operate something larger what problems you encounter?
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you stay on the Interstates (or close to) you'll be fine anywhere.

Try to run through a town laid out during the Revolutionary War with a 40' anything..
you won't be so fine.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

I just got back to NC after spending the summer driving to Ca and up the coast of Oregon and then back home. I have a 45 ft coach pulling a full size Crew Cab long bed pickup. My overall length is 74 ft, which is over the limit in most states. I drove some interstate but mostly state highways. Lots of highway patrol and local cops saw me but no one cared.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
In other words, you are likely illegal on some roads in some towns. And you are responsible for finding out if/where you are restricted. That being said, we have traveled from Maine to Florida and NC to CA using US labeled highways that take us thru small towns where ever possible. At 70+ feet we have never been stopped.

Dave
Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Do be aware that you can not carry any propane thru the tunnels in Baltimore that
carry I-95 and I-895. You'll have to use I-695 beltway. I agree that you should not
have to fret the length issue.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmax View Post
I just got back to NC after spending the summer driving to Ca and up the coast of Oregon and then back home. I have a 45 ft coach pulling a full size Crew Cab long bed pickup. My overall length is 74 ft, which is over the limit in most states. I drove some interstate but mostly state highways. Lots of highway patrol and local cops saw me but no one cared.
I'm taking Billsmax route in reverse (OR to CA) with a 43 footer and crew cab making me also over 60 ft. I'm over on CA 1 and have driven well over 2000 miles on this trip since I left NC, passed many troopers, and was even inspected at the California border for gypsy moths, and no problems with length. Most of my driving has been on non-interstate highways.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
most states the lth. is 65 ft. combine, most troopers out there won't pull you over if you are not from that area, although you should check the local laws on there rules of footage. you be suprise on the laws, as it was mention already in the tread.
But i believe as long as you are acting & driving safe all the lights working no bad looking tires, they won't bother you, too much, another word don't give them a reason to pull you over, even though they don't need a reason, most troopers are pretty good people and will work with you.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We live in MD with a 42 ft RV and about 15 foot of towed vehicle. No one has stopped us yet. Of course we keep the shades down and doors locked as we drive thru Gettysburg!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Live in Maryland, drive our 43-foot DP with Jeep Liberty toad all over. There are restrictions in MD? If so, I didn't get the memo ...
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What about insurance coverage if you have a mishap. Will your insurance company give you a hard time and try to deny a claim because you are oversized?? We all know that some insurance companies will try to find whatever excuse they can to deny a claim
Bikedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I go, but thats me, your not a trucker your a tourest, enjoy your home hit the gravel & travel.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #12

The signs say no propane thru the tunnel but I was told that RVs and campers are allowed if the tanks are closed.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
No -- those tunnels are no propane, no exception. Others, like those around Norfolk, only require that your tanks be shut off.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
Do be aware that you can not carry any propane thru the tunnels in Baltimore that
carry I-95 and I-895. You'll have to use I-695 beltway. I agree that you should not
have to fret the length issue.

How does one know about the propane in tunnels law and what happens if you get to the tunnel in your Motorhome, now what. I am going down the east coast in October and am interested in how one were to find out these tidbits before I have the whole easdt coast plugged up ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote