RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #1

Less opportunity to boondock for Class A's?

So I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos with amazing places that folks camp off grid and almost all these places I would not attempt to go in my coach.

It seems like trailers and 5th wheels have an advantage to boondock in some places where a class might just sink. Most of these amazing places I've seen in YouTube videos are in grassy or dirt areas and you never see any class A's. Even if these areas were bone dry, I can't imagine what would happen to a 30,000 plus coach if it rained hard.

So is my assumption correct, that there are less amazing off the grid locations you can go in your heavier Class A coaches?

It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

I am by no means an expert on this since I am based on the east coast, but in my travels to the western states I have seen federal land where you could park for 14 days at a time that were easily accessible in a class A. Many roads were 60 feet wide, well graveled, and had beautiful views, with impromptu level spaces everywhere. When riding 4 wheelers in the area some class A's were a few miles off a paved road. I would probably scout the area out first in a toad and find a great spot since some places that 60 foot wide road narrowed and twisted a mile or so in. Google maps can also help get you there or let you know what to avoid.

crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #3

I boondock in my class A all the time. Desert and mountains of Oregon.
Yamxer438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #4

I agree you have to be especially careful off road boon docking in class A's especially when your 47,000 pounds.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #5

You will always be limited to some degree. It just depends, as others have pointed out, on just how off grid you wish to go.

On our one and only (so far) trip to AK, we were quite jealous of where the truck campers, and medium-small travel trailers could go. Some absolutely beautiful spots are accessible to them.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
You will always be limited to some degree. It just depends, as others have pointed out, on just how off grid you wish to go.

On our one and only (so far) trip to AK, we were quite jealous of where the truck campers, and medium-small travel trailers could go. Some absolutely beautiful spots are accessible to them.
That's how I felt watching videos of some of the BLM locations that smaller rigs were able to go. I was just wondering if others ever felt that way too.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

On the flip side, I've rented sites in RV parks that have nice grassy sites and they turn into swamps when it rains. Even had to get towed out of one of them because the clay soil was slippery as grease!

I've driven our Class A into some pretty rugged spots, but I do pay attention to the firmness of the soil. A 30k-40k rig can sink to the axles in a hurry, especially if you turn the front wheels without rolling at least a little. They just "snowplow" soft soils.

I've seen large 5W's mired down as well, but they are all lighter than big Class A's., plus the tires don't need traction or steering.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
No matter what type of camping you do, the smaller the rig the more spots you can get to. I have seen spots that only a 4x4 with a tent can get in, and I have seen spots where 4-5 friends all have their 40’ Class As. Just fine a rig that suits your needs, and you will find lovely places to take it. Might not be every place someone with a truck camper can fit, but there will still be nice places.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
No matter what type of camping you do, the smaller the rig the more spots you can get to. I have seen spots that only a 4x4 with a tent can get in, and I have seen spots where 4-5 friends all have their 40’ Class As. Just fine a rig that suits your needs, and you will find lovely places to take it. Might not be every place someone with a truck camper can fit, but there will still be nice places.
Yeah, nothing is perfect. I still wouldn't trade my coach for a smaller TT, but that doesn't mean I can't be envious of places I will never be able to go due to size and weight.

Tags
class a