Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #15

i take it newmar american eagle and american tradition are all good coaches?
evi morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Evi

If your in Watertown, I would suggest that you go to the RV show in Hershey PA. It is being help from Sept.10-14. You will see almost everything there. While the new Class A's will be out of your price. Seeing them will give you a better idea of what you would be comfortable in. This can help you in your search for a used one.

Good luck with your search and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar are well built coaches. Workhorse gas chassis are still superior to the Ford. Allison tranny makes the difference. DPs are still the best bang for your buck.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Just one word about big dogs and Class A motorhomes with slides. I travel with Jack, a half bloodhound, half lab at 113 lbs. When the slides are in it is tight in there for them. Jack travels on the couch mostly but then when he gets down on the floor there is no getting over him to reach the rear of the coach. You need to look at Class A's with the slides closed to see what I mean. You might have to modify something to get your dogs in there comfortably. Friend of mine removed the couch so his had enough room. Yes we stop about every couple of hours for a pet walk and water. Traveling with our big dogs requires some extra planning.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Exclamation

One other thing and I've seen this first hand. If you are looking at adds online beware of scam adds. If it seems too good to be true then it is and most likely a scam. Just beware and ask lots of questions and run any rig that you look at through N.A.D.A. for it's value.
www.nada.com

C & C Roberts
Apple Valley CA
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP3910
Spartan MM Chassis Cummins 8.9ltr
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of car will you be towing on the trailer?

Most gas rigs are limited to 5,000lbs towing and that's pushing the limit.

Have you ever done any RVing?

If not I suggest renting one for a week. You will learn many things during that time.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #21

American Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by evi morrison View Post
i take it newmar american eagle and american tradition are all good coaches?
I do not know much about Newmar but we purchased a 2000 American Eagle this spring and have been busy fixing her up while also spending some 6 weeks traveling all across BC, and Alberta, and we love it!
Yes they are Quality made, no cheap plywood and staples but hardwoods and top craftsmanship throughout.
14 years old and stil no signs of leaks (no stains) and no major problems with things not working just minor maintenance neglect issues. We both love it!

I don't think you can go wrong too far with one of these and they have the power to move and to pull (10.000lbs trailer) and yes do check it out but not with NADA oh sure fore the value, check them with Carfax and other co. like that for liens and accidents.

Other coaches from American Coach are build just like that and worth a second look there may not be as many but there's a reason for that they are being used!

Best regards and good luck,
ED
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Have a look at this website Motorhomes for Sale at RV Online - trailers, motor homes, campers

This will give you an idea of what you can get for your money. I sometime find some real bargains in here.

Should I recommend some brands that I personally consider to be worth looking at, it would f.x. be manufacturers like Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Newmar, Tiffin.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
The brands we are considering are: Monaco, Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, Winnebago and Itasca.
As you continue your research, you'll find that Holiday Rambler is mfg. by Monaco in the era you will be interested in...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Super Idea!

Quote:
Ok so here it goes... My wife and I are going to be purchasing a Class A and we have decided to choose a Class A because we own to large breed dogs, mastiffs. We hate hotels, we're military and move quite a bit and our families live in different states, Vermont and Texas to be exact.
We were in nearly the same position as you, but budgeted half as much.

In the end, we spent $84K to buy a neighbor's 2005 Fleetwood Excursion, have no regrets.

In fact, the wife and dogs have so fallen in love with RVing that she alone went out and upgraded the coach, spending ten times our original goal.

My advice is simple: ignore miles, shoot for 5 years in age, put its apparent maintenance as your highest priority, tolerate zero moisture ingress, pay 72% of the nadarv.com listed Avg Retail or less.

Oh. And, never buy one that has been lived in.

Good luck! You'll be one year older, this time next month
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #25

towing a 2011 lexus IS 250. we have never done any RVing. we have not time to rent one we are going full tilt on this.
evi morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh for sure enjoy the hunt! I love studying all the information available. The ppl site is my favorite. One thing to add to your information overload. With the gas engine in the front there will be much more engine noise than a diesel pusher with the engine in the back.

Have fun!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
towing a 2011 lexus IS 250. we have never done any RVing. we have not time to rent one we are going full tilt on this.

I suspect the Lexus weighs in at about 4,300 lb and when you add the weight of a trailer to that you are at a point where you will need a diesel to pull it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a