Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

Less then 6 weeks to buy a class A

Ok so here it goes... My wife and I are going to be purchasing a Class A and we have decided to choose a Class A because we own to large breed dogs, mastiffs. We hate hotels, we're military and move quite a bit and our families live in different states, Vermont and Texas to be exact. I am a research guru and will take may time to research and talk to people before I buy. The brands we are considering are: Monaco, Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, Winnebago and Itasca. We would like 37-40' and we don't care if it is gas or diesel; however, if it gas, we prefer the workhorse chassis. (I'm a GM person but not dead set on it). We would like a minimum of 3 slides, preferably 2 opposing in the living area and one in the bedroom. We would like gas/electric everything and a decent heating/cooling system and with the ability to boondock if needed is preferable. We will be towing a car on a trailer due to it being AWD. We have a max purchase price of $60K but would like to be in the $50K range, and nothing older than 2004. I think I have every thing we want on here.... We are younger and very wet behind the ears on RVs and the lifestyle, but we are very open minded and would like opinions, advice and everything else people want to say. We are not scared to travel to go pick up our RV as long as it's what we want and it's been taken care of very well. We will be moving the first week of November and our plan is to have a Class A sitting in the drive way the first or second week of October. Thanks again everybody and can't wait to see you all on the road.
Evi Morrison
evi morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Evi, next time please work in some breaks in that giant WoT, makes it much easier to read.

You should be able to find a decent rig in your price range, had a buddy just buy a 37' Monaco DP for $35K a few weeks ago that is beautiful.

While the GM's are fine, the Fords(Gas) seem to be the norm now, and they have more power, so you may want to give those a little more consideration.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
In RV buying terms that is a fairly short buying window.
I believe at that price range a gas MH will get more coach but towing a larger trailer maybe a bit of concern.
There are nice DP out there also but would be a bit older but can handle the trailer much better, with a better ride.

Like 42 more people will say, find the layout you like then the best deal you can find on that layout.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

Welcome. We have an English mastiff and they are wonderful pets. May want to review a site like pplmotorhomes.com. They only week used rigs and they are noted on several threads as being low pressure and fair. That will help you decide on your ideal floorplan, and also let you get an idea of what your budget will allow. Look for new DOT dates on tires and service history. And try to get a hold of service records and please do not repeat my biggest mistake- which was not spending a few hundred dollars to have a certified tech look the rig over . Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would spend some time on the ppl website out of Houston, TX. You can look at pictures of every RV they are selling, and see the correct price they are asking. They only deal in consignment RVs and have the largest selection almost anywhere. Plus, they are honest. You can also do a search of already sold units and look at the prices they went for. No affiliation, but just a good place to get a feel for what you want and prices.
pplmotorhomes.com.com
Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club

for your service.

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BIG DOGS?...consider the benefits of a Class A Toy Hauler for the multi purpose room that the garage offers.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

We have 3 Saint Bernards and use the garage for SO MANY things - from kennel, to guest room, to garage for all our stuff - of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	72520
Picture taken while driving within a campground at very low speed.

With a few exceptions, the engines in these rigs are gas. That's because with the garage floor being flat in back - a DP just doesn't work. The exceptions are legacy models with the Freightliner Front Engine Diesel (FRED) and Spartan Mid Engine Diesel (ME).

There are many of these rigs available in the OP's price point with Workhorse 8.1L as well as the Ford V10.

Best luck

BTW: All front engine Class A RV's built after 2011 will be on the Ford F53 gas chassis, because Workhorse stopped making RV Chassis and all the RV makers stopped buying the FRED chassis despite the fact the Freightliner still offers it (6.7L ISB and Allison trans)
http://freightlinerchassis.com/RV-Ch...enu-id-91.html
Not that Ford's chassis is bad...I just prefer options.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #8

I agree with the suggestion of looking at PPL and perhaps some other dealer sites in your area to see what the prices run. I doubt that you will find what you want in a diesel for the price you have set.

At 37'+ you will be mostly looking at diesels as the upper limit for most gas chassis rigs is about 37-38 feet. If you share your location we might be able to help you to locate something that will work for you.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Community Moderator

less then 6 weeks to buy a class A

I suggest you open your date range up a bit (back to 2000). Better to buy quality that's a little older, than the cheaply made units which are newer.

Here are two for you to consider.....

A 2001 American Eagle Diesel pusher for $55,000

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409521553.624697.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	72523

A 2002 Newmar DutchStar Diesel pusher for $60,000

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409521633.161223.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	72524
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Here is a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star for $45,000
This is a gas model on the workhorse chassis

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409522215.480851.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	72526
Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
Community Moderator

2000 American Tradition $55,000

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409522801.815593.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	72527
Old 08-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #12

There are plenty of MH's out there in your price range and floorplan you will want. Take your time and research it well so you get the best you can for your money. Don't be afraid to go to web sites out of your local area to find what you want. We have the Ford chassi which has plenty of power to pull the trailer you are talking about. I would add Newmar and Tiffin to your list as there are many in your price range. Drive as many as you can prior to making your decision as there are definately handling/quality differences between the manufacturers. Good Luck and happy hunting it is all part of the fun.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evi morrison View Post
We would like gas/electric everything

Don't know what you mean.... There are all electric coaches and then there are some where the previous owner swapped out the absorption fridge for a residential one.

Doubt you will find an all electric coach (quality made) in your price range. Swapping to a residential fridge is about a $2000 upgrade if you don't do it yourself. Adding more batteries and more powerful inverter is about $1500 ballpark if you don't do any of the work yourself.....so don't turn down an otherwise excellent coach just because it isn't all electric.....you can upgrade it.

Have you thought about CCC Cargo Carrying Capacity ? The rig you choose needs to be able to safely carry all your stuff plus the weight of some very BIG dogs ! This is where the tag axle shines.....adds lots more capacity....some coaches out there, are close to maximum weight with just full fuel and water ( no storage stuff or people!)
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #14

thanks for the reply were located in watertown ny but we are willing to travel most deals I'm seeing are in florida and texas. southern anyways. we do greatly appreciate the help
evi morrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a