Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #1

Lesson Hard Learned (Goodyear Tires)

I have read for the past few years about Goodyear tire failures.
I took the attitude that, "my tires are almost new and only four years old... I will run them a little longer".

Well, I should have taken heed to what others were saying about Goodyear tires.
On our way back home from Indiana around 10:00 am this morning, about 25 miles east of Tulsa on I-44, my front right blew with absolutely no warning and with only 18720 miles on the tire.
Yes, I run a TPMS. The pressure was not high or low and the temp was around 90 degrees. No vibration - No bumping - and no noise from the tire.

Let me tell you, a front right blow out at 65 mph in a 43ft class A will get your heart racing. I managed to keep a cool head and didn't panic (there was a quick prayer!). I disengaged the cruise control - did not hit the brakes - and let the exhaust brake slow me and pulled off the highway. It was quite a ride for a few seconds... almost shook my teeth out!

The wheel was, surprisingly, not damaged at all. However, the fiberglass all around the tire opening was destroyed, including a docking light and also some damage to a metal trim piece at the bottom of the slide and paint. An adjuster has not written an estimate yet, but I will not be surprised if the damage is $6k - $8k.

I replaced the 295/80R 22.5 Goodyear with a Continental. The Continental looks much beefier than the Goodyear.
BTW, tire, labor, and mileage charge came to a grand total of $720.62 (fun times )

This really goes without being said, but after the body shop visit, I will be replacing the remaining seven tires, before any trips.

So now, any tips on MH repairs. Any RV body shop recommendations in the central Oklahoma area? I am a little concerned about a shop matching the paint job.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

DOT date code on the tire? You said 4 years old, but were they old stock. How about weight on the tire? See there are literally dozens of reasons for a tire failure.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

I began to lose confidence in my Goodyear G670's at 9 yrs I always ran the tire pressures listed on the Federal Tire Placard. Bought 6 new Sailun truck tires, same size higher load rating for $1,280 mounted, bal,, installed, taxes included.
Sold Goodyears to a dump truck owner for the trailer he pulled, for $300.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you turned it into your insurance company?

Had an inside dual blow that caused $12,000 damage...CSAA (AAA) covered it all.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
I have read for the past few years about Goodyear tire failures.......

Well, I should have taken heed to what others were saying about Goodyear tires.

On our way back home from Indiana around 10:00 am this morning, about 25 miles east of Tulsa on I-44, my front right blew with absolutely no warning and with only 18720 miles on the tire.
Yes, I run a TPMS. The pressure was not high or low and the temp was around 90 degrees. No vibration - No bumping - and no noise from the tire........

Let me tell you, a front right blow out at 65 mph in a 43ft class A will get your heart racing.......

I replaced the 295/80R 22.5 Goodyear with a Continental. The Continental looks much beefier than the Goodyear.
BTW, tire, labor, and mileage charge came to a grand total of $720.62 (fun times )
The problems with this specific size of GY 670 are well documented over in the Entegra forum, and at least one EC coach was totaled after its right front blew about a year ago. I changed both of my GY 295/80 front tires because of repeated problems getting TWO sets of them balanced. The tire tech told me he has had LOTS of complaints with that specific size and model of GY tire.

Your post indicates that you only bought one replacement. [B]IF that is true, you are really willing to continue running the "other" GY steer tire????

IMO, it is only a matter of time before when ANY 670 GY 295/80R-22.5 tire will blow out, no matter how well you monitor pressures and take care of them.

To be clear, there does not seem to be a similar problem with other sizes of this same brand and model. Go figure.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Your post indicates that you only bought one replacement. IF that is true, you are really willing to continue running the "other" GY steer tire????
He said after getting the body fixed he is replacing 7 tires..
Old 05-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Your post indicates that you only bought one replacement. IF that is true, you are really willing to continue running the "other" GY steer tire????

IMO, it is only a matter of time before when ANY 670 GY 295/80R-22.5 tire will blow out, no matter how well you monitor pressures and take care of them.

To be clear, there does not seem to be a similar problem with other sizes of this same brand and model. Go figure.
Actually, the tire shop that came out only had one Continental in the size I needed. And, while stranded on the side of the road, I was very willing to take the one tire they had in stock to get me back on my way.

I have to admit, I did feel a little uneasy about the remaining Goodyear 670 on the front left.

I assure you, the Goodyears will be coming off, before another trip.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you turned it into your insurance company?

Had an inside dual blow that caused $12,000 damage...CSAA (AAA) covered it all.
Yes, I reported the claim last evening.
We will now see how Hartford does with the claims process.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes, I reported the claim last evening.
We will now see how Hartford does with the claims process.
I'd be interested to hear what they say.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TRebel"......I had nothing but issues with the Goodyear G670's on the front of my 2005 Monaco Diplomat. Both "rivered" and one had a sidewall separation. I thought it was just a luck of the draw and put on another set up front. After the second set did the same thing, I installed Hankook AH12's and NEVER had another issue with steer tires.

Personally, I will NEVER purchase another Goodyear tire, not just because of the issue above, but because they refused to ever recognize the issue. I will talk with my dollars.

With that said, I'm willing to bet your RIGHT front tire blowout was caused by road debris. The Goodyears were known for wearing funny, but not known for blowouts. The right side tires are more frequently damaged by road debris, due to the amount of debris that collects on the side of the road.

If it were me, I would run another brand, like the Continental up front and leave the Goodyears alone on the back. They're not a bad straight line tire and are good for at least another two to three years on your coach. This will give you peace of mind with your steer tires and stretch out the cash outlay for new tires.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd be interested to hear what they say.
I have an appointment with a Hartford field adjuster for Saturday morning at my house.
After talking with him, I got the impression that he will just be collecting information... mainly, photos of the damage and info about my MH.

I called around yesterday to check out my options for repairs locally. I called two RV dealers (one being CW) and ask if they recommend any RV body shops in the area. Both of the RV dealers told me that they do RV body work in house.
I didn't really get a good vibe from either dealer, so I called a couple of independent fiberglass repair shops, one of which specializes in RV repair.
The independent shop that specializes in RV repair will probably be my choice, unless I get a strong recommendation before I take in in for repair.

I will keep y'all posted
Old 05-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #12

I had the exact same thing, right front Goodyear blew. As you said don’t panic and let it slow down by itself. Mine did 8 grand worth of damage and 3 months in body shop.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
I have an appointment with a Hartford field adjuster for Saturday morning at my house.
After talking with him, I got the impression that he will just be collecting information... mainly, photos of the damage and info about my MH.

I called around yesterday to check out my options for repairs locally. I called two RV dealers (one being CW) and ask if they recommend any RV body shops in the area. Both of the RV dealers told me that they do RV body work in house.
I didn't really get a good vibe from either dealer, so I called a couple of independent fiberglass repair shops, one of which specializes in RV repair.
The independent shop that specializes in RV repair will probably be my choice, unless I get a strong recommendation before I take in in for repair.

I will keep y'all posted

If you're still in the Tulsa area I suggest calling Bob Hurley RV. I've had very good experiences with their service dept and sales staff but I don't know if they do body work in-house or contract it out.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Hartford field adjuster may have some suggestions about where to take it.

Tags
tires