Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
awwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Biloxi, Ms
Posts: 199
Lesson Learned!!

As you can see from my name info, I live in Biloxi, Ms. We are currently going through the east side of Hurricane Isaac. Been having some nasty weather here since yesterday. Rain, Rain, and 50-70 mph wind gusts.

Well guess what the "ole dummy" here did? Forgot about the RV being plugged into house power! About 1pm we had a huge power surge. You know the kind, power off, power on, 2 or 3 times then off. Got power restored about 3 hours later.

Started checking stuff..Microwave in house shot, bedroom tv shot, house portable phones base shot. And, then it hit me! RV is plugged in!! Off I go into the driving rain out to the RV. Begin my testing..Front TV shot, living area tv shot (brand new 32" Toshibas). Looks like I got off lucky. Everything else looks like its working, maybe. Still have not checked the converter. Cranked genset and tested transfer switch, seems to be working ok.

Lesson Learned...unplug the RV when on house power and bad weather. Since I was at home, needless to say, I did not have the surge protector hooked up....another lesson learned!!!

Has not been a good day...

Almost forgot...wind grabbed RV door and broke off the door closer!!!
__________________

__________________
Wayne and Susan
2012 Georgetown 351 DS | 2012 Ford Focus-Brake Buddy
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,516
I think what y'all are having is a little more than bad weather. Every time we have a lightning storm I say o crap the MH is plugged in, I hope the surg protector works.
__________________

__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
new2RVn's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richmond Hill, Ga.
Posts: 242
As bad as it is, it could have been a lot worse. You lost "stuff" and you lived to fight another day. All of you in that part of the country are in our thoughts and prayers. Be safe and be blessed.
__________________
Steve & Cheryl w/3rd Crewmember Peanut, Our Deerhead Chiuaua
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U F53, V10 Gasser,Safe T Plus
2004 Wrangler Toad via Stowmaster 5000, BrakeBuddy Classic
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
gary darsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 16
Sorry to hear about the equipment damage. I unplugged mine last night while the weather was still pretty rough. Any recommendations on what type and brand surge protector to purchase?
Gary D., Gulfport, MS
__________________
gary darsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TxRVMan's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mico, Texas
Posts: 146
We have had a few storms this year, but never thought twice about the motorhome...we have a built in surge protector, does that cover me or am I putting too much confidence in the SureGuard?
__________________
Justen & Kelly
Mico, TX
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jzick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Lesson Learned...unplug the RV when on house power and bad weather. Since I was at home, needless to say, I did not have the surge protector hooked up....another lesson learned!!!
Perhaps another consideration. Whole house surge supressors are normally available from utility companies for a few dollars a month. We have had them in three states and they have saved us several times. Our stick and brick in Florida has had three replaced after sacrificing themselves after seeing the same kind of power surges you did when power was in the process of being restored after tropical storm systems went through.

Good luck in getting your stuff repaired/replaced.
__________________
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
cutrell01's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cobden, IL
Posts: 219
I would get a Progressive Industries surge protector--either 30 amp or 50 amp whatever you RV has. As an example, my Tiffin Open Road 32CA has a surge guard/transfer switch rated at about 1850joules. I purchased a portable 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector rated at 3580joules. I plug it into the campground power pedestal then plug in power cord. It checks for much more than just power surges. Much better than losing a lot of your electronics!
__________________
USAF Retired
2012 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32CA
2012 Equinox LTZ, RVI Brake System
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
gary darsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 16
Thank you for the suggestions. It's appreciated.
Gary D., Gulfport, MS
__________________
gary darsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Maddawgs's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
As you can see from my name info, I live in Biloxi, Ms. We are currently going through the east side of Hurricane Isaac. Been having some nasty weather here since yesterday. Rain, Rain, and 50-70 mph wind gusts.

Well guess what the "ole dummy" here did? Forgot about the RV being plugged into house power! About 1pm we had a huge power surge. You know the kind, power off, power on, 2 or 3 times then off. Got power restored about 3 hours later.

Started checking stuff..Microwave in house shot, bedroom tv shot, house portable phones base shot. And, then it hit me! RV is plugged in!! Off I go into the driving rain out to the RV. Begin my testing..Front TV shot, living area tv shot (brand new 32" Toshibas). Looks like I got off lucky. Everything else looks like its working, maybe. Still have not checked the converter. Cranked genset and tested transfer switch, seems to be working ok.

Lesson Learned...unplug the RV when on house power and bad weather. Since I was at home, needless to say, I did not have the surge protector hooked up....another lesson learned!!!

Has not been a good day...

Almost forgot...wind grabbed RV door and broke off the door closer!!!
Sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully your insurance will help you out. I have the TRC SurgeGuard and it saved me twice last month. I always use it both on the road and when hooked up at home. Best money I ever spent. Hope it all works out for you.
Todd
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Todd, Shirley, and the Maddawgs Buster & Precious
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 32
Sorry to hear of so much damage Gary I hope your insurance covers it all. Jzick I did not know that power companies have whole house surge protectors I will check to see if DTE has them in MI. Thanks for the tip.
__________________
Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 138
RV is always plugged into elec. with the surge protector. Everywhere, anywhere. May have already saved our butt.
__________________
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
62_inrightlane's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida / Georgia / Michigan
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
I would get a Progressive Industries surge protector--either 30 amp or 50 amp whatever you RV has. As an example, my Tiffin Open Road 32CA has a surge guard/transfer switch rated at about 1850joules. I purchased a portable 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector rated at 3580joules. I plug it into the campground power pedestal then plug in power cord. It checks for much more than just power surges. Much better than losing a lot of your electronics!


I also have the Progressive Industries surge protector.
__________________
Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,455
Hi Awall, Hope things are looking up for you.
I found this thread interesting. I have just purchased and in the process of installing a Progressive 50A hard Wired Surge Protector with remote readout. After research on iRV2, I decided on the Progressive.
From what I read here, it sounds like a good investment. Certainly less than the cost of a new TV.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,831
Is that surge protector like most where once it's zapped it offers less protection ?!?!
__________________

__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.