Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Lesson Learned

Temperature 95.

Had both AC's running
Came back and found the 50 amp breaker off

After everything up and running, I went through the system.
Wife had the washer/dryer going. OK...this should not be a problem.
After looking at it a bit more....realized that the electric heater for
my Aquahot was on.

With both AC's running, the dryer kicking in.....plus the electric
AH, it kicked the breaker.

This would be a rare thing to happen, but once it does, it makes you
realize what can happen.

Just mentioning this for people with pets, AC's, W/D, and AH.

DO NOT LEAVE EVERYTHING RUNNING WHEN YOU LEAVE THE COACH.

We were gone a very short time, returned home and found all was down. Thankfully our dog was OK but the temp was up to 80 in the coach.

Lesson Learned
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the post, I think everyone thinks if they are plugged into 50 amp there isn't any need for energy management.

We also have dogs and are always concerned when we leave the coach. If there is a power outage, for whatever reason, the results could be disastrous.

To provide some protection I invested in an auto generator start system so that if the power goes out the generator will start. The system does have the capability of starting with a set temperature but I keep it set low knowing that it would be better to be cold then hot. I occasionally test the system by flipping the breaker off when preparing to leave, this mimics a power outage, and check to see if the generator starts. Again gives up peace of mind that we are doing everything we can to protect the dogs.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the warning. I always engage the generator auto start feature that should give us some protection. But I've gotta ask, temperature was 95? I saw ice on our pond yesterday!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #4

That's why I think we should really monitor our interior them when away from the coach with pets. Simple and relatively cheap we use a piper camera that has lots of functions but it monitors temp based on what you set for a baselines high or low and sends text alerts, also has battery backup. You can use wifi or tether to a cell phone.
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandringa View Post
That's why I think we should really monitor our interior them when away from the coach with pets. Simple and relatively cheap we use a piper camera that has lots of functions but it monitors temp based on what you set for a baselines high or low and sends text alerts, also has battery backup. You can use wifi or tether to a cell phone.

Any more info on this? I use auto start for the genny. Interested in this camera.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Thanks for the warning. I always engage the generator auto start feature that should give us some protection. But I've gotta ask, temperature was 95? I saw ice on our pond yesterday!
We are in Desert Hot Springs and it has been in the
high 90's for a week. Supposed to cool down this week.

I had forgotten about the electric element on the Aquahot.
When we are hooked up to 30 amp service, we shut the electric off
and use the diesel burner.
We only turn the electric on at night. It is amazing how much
power it draws.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Thanks for the post, I think everyone thinks if they are plugged into 50 amp there isn't any need for energy management.

We also have dogs and are always concerned when we leave the coach. If there is a power outage, for whatever reason, the results could be disastrous.

To provide some protection I invested in an auto generator start system so that if the power goes out the generator will start. The system does have the capability of starting with a set temperature but I keep it set low knowing that it would be better to be cold then hot. I occasionally test the system by flipping the breaker off when preparing to leave, this mimics a power outage, and check to see if the generator starts. Again gives up peace of mind that we are doing everything we can to protect the dogs.
We have a dog too. I thought about putting in an auto start generator in as well. Was it difficult, what was the cost, would you do it again? Do both the ACs come back on with the auto start or just one of them? Sound like this would be a better option than just knowing the temp in the Bus while you are twenty miles away.

Thanks.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting, you should have been under the 100 amps you have available. 30 for the two A/Cs, max 25 for the Aqua hot, 20 for the dryer, 10 for the refer still a little left for general overhead. Throw in lower voltage with everybody keeping cool the amp load could go up by 10% and pop the barker. If you have a 240 volt dryer well that's more load.
As to the autoGen start, if you pop a barker or have to much load on while gone it won't help.
Ain't electric great until there is a problem, just like living in the dark ages, pun intended.

LEN
Old 03-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I am assuming you are referring to the 50 amp pedestal breaker and not the one in your main power distribution box. So my guess is that the 50 amp pedestal breaker is getting very weak and its capacity has been diminished.

They are good for about 80% which on a balanced load would be 40 amps on each leg. With what you had on and using amps it should not have tripped.

A/C's use about 13 amps each, your AH electric assist uses about 12 amps and the electric dryer uses a little over 10 amps.

Even if they wired your coach with one A/C, the AH electric assist plus the dryer all on one leg and the other A/C on the other leg, that puts about 35 amps on one 50 amp leg. That is still well under the 80% capacity usage. However I really doubt that the AH electric assist AND the electric dryer on both on the same leg at least they shouldn't be.

Bad breaker in my book.

This scenario is exactly why when in hot weather I always activate the Onan Wireless EC-30W Auto Gen Start before leaving the coach. It will detect instantaneous power loss which will start the generator and restart the A/C's. Once power has been restored the EC-30W shuts down the generator.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

These are good points. We camp at many state campgrounds that only have 30 amp service. We have a dog that we leave inside while we are out. My procedure when we leave is as follows:

Only turn on 1 air conditioner.
turn off the electric water heater.
Fridge on gas
Turn off water to the coach.

I want to install an autostart feature on my Powertech gen. I just need to look at my options.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have dogs also. Once on only a 20a service I forgot to switch on the a.c. after using the microwave... good think I check on them every two hours!
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #12

I couldn't agree more on the auto gen start I have that too but there are still situations where it may fail , for example if the gen fails to start? I think redundancy is the answer, you can never be to careful with your pets. I also have a push button key box bolted in the propane area (door that doesn't lock) with coach keys inside so if I get an alert to a high or low temperature I could call someone or the office in an emergency. Should anyone be interested here is a link.

https://getpiper.com
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with a possible weak breaker.
We had one fail on us in Naples, Flrida.

When we originally checked into the site, I tested the
circuit. It was good at that time. We left for a week,
returned to the site, but did not test again.
We did notice they had dug up all the dead tree stumps
along each site and planted new shrubs.

I also did not have my auto start "on" for the genny.
I guess at times we just become too comfortable and
need wake up calls.

As one person said to me..."you had luxury problems".
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #14

I have 200 Amp at my Home an the only thing we leave on is the AC and on the MH the same AC just saying Home MH
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote