Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Lesson Learned - Tires.

My front tires were Hancocks dated 2005. Good condition but!!!

Rear tires were Goodyears but couldn't see the manufactured date. Dates apparently turned inward. Couldn't find the dates. I don't know if someone in the past was deliberately hiding the dates but you have to wonder.

I assumed they were the same age as the fronts. Of course we all know about "assuming".

New tires today. Sure puts a hole in the bank account.

Turned out that the rear tires with the hidden dates were actually 2002, not at the 2005 I had assumed.

Sure glad I changed them out. Heading for Yellowstone in June. Long way between tire shops on some of those lonely stretches of highway.

Those old Goodyears were doing well but must have been pretty tired. Had some broken wires on one of the inner rears.

If you're not smart it's good to be lucky. Sure am glad I'm lucky.

ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh the pain of paying for new rubber. I think it was a pretty good thing that you bought new tires now instead of in the middle of your trip. That might just qualify as "smart". Think about it that way.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Thanks for changing your tires, makes it safer for everyone.
I feel the pain of the tires, I bought 2 new steer tires-Michelin 365/80R22.5-ooof.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just looked at a 2003 choach the other day with Goodyear tires and they looked brand new. but were 12 years old, I mean they looked new. Kinda can fool a person without looking at the date code.
Thanks for the change or you may thank yourself.

LEN
Old 04-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #5

This post was helpful...I just bought a 2000 Monaco with 22k miles. The Goodyears look great! Plenty of tread and no sign of cracks. But....I am just about sure they are original. So I am buying a set of six Toyo's....I'll keep the unused spare for emergencies only.
Where is that date code on the Goodyears?? I'll feel better if they are indeed 14 years old.
Good post Ruffian!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #6

I'm replacing mine this week, brand new tread...cracks in sidewalls. Anyone have an opinion on the Hancock tires, the company is Korean, but they sure are priced right.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
I'm replacing mine this week, brand new tread...cracks in sidewalls. Anyone have an opinion on the Hancock tires, the company is Korean, but they sure are priced right.
If you mean Hankook, I have used them for years on all my cars. I have never had a failure, they wear well and ride fantastic. I have no hesitation buying them for any vehicle I own.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
This post was helpful...I just bought a 2000 Monaco with 22k miles. The Goodyears look great! Plenty of tread and no sign of cracks. But....I am just about sure they are original. So I am buying a set of six Toyo's....I'll keep the unused spare for emergencies only.
Where is that date code on the Goodyears?? I'll feel better if they are indeed 14 years old.
Good post Ruffian!
The dates on my 2002 Goodyears were mid-way between the bead and the tread. I only saw the date on one side.

The date wasn't in the normal place down by the bead.

When a guy finds out he has dodged the bullet, new tires prices don't hurt quite so bad.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #9

Your dates aren't hidden. DOT requires them on both sides of the tires. One side has an abbreviated code, which yours has. Google tire date code and you'll find your answer.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #10

Richardk, you are partially correct, but if you go to NHTSA.GOV you'll find that the date is not required on both sides. The allowed abbreviated DOT code omits the date, but keeps all the other info. Manufacturers may opt to put the entire TIN on both sides. But the date is not REQUIRED on both sides. The TIN is supposed to be on the manufacturer's intended outward facing side wall.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
My front tires were Hancocks dated 2005. Good condition but!!!

Rear tires were Goodyears but couldn't see the manufactured date. Dates apparently turned inward. Couldn't find the dates. I don't know if someone in the past was deliberately hiding the dates but you have to wonder.

I assumed they were the same age as the fronts. Of course we all know about "assuming".

New tires today. Sure puts a hole in the bank account.

Turned out that the rear tires with the hidden dates were actually 2002, not at the 2005 I had assumed.

Sure glad I changed them out. Heading for Yellowstone in June. Long way between tire shops on some of those lonely stretches of highway.

Those old Goodyears were doing well but must have been pretty tired. Had some broken wires on one of the inner rears.

If you're not smart it's good to be lucky. Sure am glad I'm lucky.
I don't think it's deliberate, as it would have to cost someone $$ to turn the tires inside for the date codes to not be easily visible on the outside.

I believe it's the luck of the draw, as you have a 50/50 chance the side with the visible date codes are placed on the outside.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

I just checked the code on mine...it appears they are indeed 2000's...that makes them just about 14 years old--twice the maximum service life!

As a newbie, I'm learning a lot from all of you!

Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Just looked at a 2003 choach the other day with Goodyear tires and they looked brand new. but were 12 years old, I mean they looked new. Kinda can fool a person without looking at the date code.
Thanks for the change or you may thank yourself.

LEN
On Friday I am replacing Michelins that look brand new but are 10 years old. They have 50000 miles on them and Im told they go 200000 miles. Its a knife to the heart to take them off but I have too.

We had a blowout with our Rexhall years ago and it was not pretty. Rear dually.

We looked at all brands and discounting all the hubris associated with those made in China. Wife says go middle of the road, throw out the high and low. We ended up looking at 3000 for 6 tires, Sumitomo, Yokohamas, Hankook all about the same price. Michelin was at the very high end.

Using the FMCA discount the Michelins came in about 3200 and installation is 335 so we are about 500 more expensive going that route. Which we did.

If you divide the 500 extra cost by a 10 run life, its only 50 bucks more to go that way. Pretty easy to absorb that.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Seattle, what size tires did you replace? I have priced Michelins and they were way to expensive. I have 295-75r-22.5. I found same size Toyo's a a great price. 2800 for six mounted and balanced.

CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires