Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Let the journey begin

OK , here goes.
MH Newbie here. I've camped all my life. tents to popup to Travel Trailer to Class C (rentals). We've decided to bite the bullet NOW and get a DP to use for the next 4 or 5 years, before we semi retire and fulltime it. At that point we 'think" we'd prefer a 40footer. Our goal/dream is to hike all the national parks.
For now we're thinking in the 36' range. from all the wonderful information here and talks with friends, a Tiffin or Winnie/Itasca is where we want to head.
The unfortunate part is that our budget is limiting us to a 2001-2003. looks like some good deals can be had... 75K miles and less. for $45K to $50K.
so the questions begin..
-what are some of things i need to look for on something that age? is this the age (10+ years) that the heater / AC / fridge etc etc all begin to die?
i know i have to pay close attention to the maint logs (presuming they are kept)
the Cat/Cummins , should be fine if maintained, brakes, etc. but what else?

-we live in NH. not much for sale here in winter.. everyone we see for sale is in AZ, TX, FL, etc.. so it means air fare out and hopefully drive it back.
How do i find a decent RV inspector that i can trust?

-we hope to put miles on it for 2 to 3 weeks vaca a year plus as many weekends as we can. NE offers so much for short trips.

-we decided on a DP for: 1-the ride, 2-towing 3-the room(with slide outs)

-we've done the camping shows and really like the feel of a 40 footer, but since this is our first jump into it + our budget, a 36 should be fine.

i'm sure there is a million other questions i should ask, but so many have already been answered in threads i've read.
Thanks in advance
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I would recommend a qualified rv tech to go over everything in that age range. You can certainly find a lot of good RVs but I'd want to be sure of what I'm getting.
Good luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey