Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Let there be light

As I have seen on the forum and on my own RV, the headlights are awful. I needed to come up with a fix. Coachmen chose to put Audi headlights in my RV so that made upgrading the bulbs a bit difficult. The Audi headlights use a single filiment bulb and a shutter system to change from low beam to high beam. You can't even access the bulb socket easily as it's inside the headlight assembly. There is a 9 pin connector that powers all the lights inside the assembly.

First change was the bulb. It was an H9, 65 watt bulb. My flashlight was better at lighting the road than these stock bulb. I replaced them with Noyka Artic White bulbs. Much improvement, however the wife noticed that one headlight was brighter than the other. Bad set of bulbs? Not exactly.

These are the bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/Nokya-Headlig...ywords=h9+bulb

It comes down to how the RV is wired. It's not wired well at all, it doesn't give full voltage to the bulbs. The fix is a relay. The easiest way to make it all happen is to get a relay harness for set of HID headlights.

Like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Harness-Solve...+relay+harness

You won't need the connectors that are on it, your basically using the relay and wire. One wire (with fuse) goes to the battery. There are 2 wires that will go to each headlight. You will cut the stock headlight wire and wire the relay line directly to the headlight. On one side you will use the other side of the cut stock headlight wire to trigger the relay. The results are amazing. Both headlights are equal brightness and much brighter than before.

But I wasn't done yet. I wanted more light. An LED light bar from Python Lighting was added.

It has it's own relay and comes on with the fog lights. The light output is amazing. It is installed on the fiberglass front lip but I reinforced in on the inside with a 1/4" plate steel to reduce the chance of cracking the fiberglass.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

We don't drive in the dark. Too old for that. YMMV.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
As I have seen on the forum and on my own RV, the headlights are awful. I needed to come up with a fix. Coachmen chose to put Audi headlights in my RV so that made upgrading the bulbs a bit difficult. The Audi headlights use a single filiment bulb and a shutter system to change from low beam to high beam. You can't even access the bulb socket easily as it's inside the headlight assembly. There is a 9 pin connector that powers all the lights inside the assembly.

First change was the bulb. It was an H9, 65 watt bulb. My flashlight was better at lighting the road than these stock bulb. I replaced them with Noyka Artic White bulbs. Much improvement, however the wife noticed that one headlight was brighter than the other. Bad set of bulbs? Not exactly.

These are the bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/Nokya-Headlig...ywords=h9+bulb

It comes down to how the RV is wired. It's not wired well at all, it doesn't give full voltage to the bulbs. The fix is a relay. The easiest way to make it all happen is to get a relay harness for set of HID headlights.

Like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Harness-Solve...+relay+harness

You won't need the connectors that are on it, your basically using the relay and wire. One wire (with fuse) goes to the battery. There are 2 wires that will go to each headlight. You will cut the stock headlight wire and wire the relay line directly to the headlight. On one side you will use the other side of the cut stock headlight wire to trigger the relay. The results are amazing. Both headlights are equal brightness and much brighter than before.

But I wasn't done yet. I wanted more light. An LED light bar from Python Lighting was added.

It has it's own relay and comes on with the fog lights. The light output is amazing. It is installed on the fiberglass front lip but I reinforced in on the inside with a 1/4" plate steel to reduce the chance of cracking the fiberglass.
Maybe I missed it somewhere but, did you by chance, do a voltage check right at the point where your plug is on the backside of the head light? Many, many autos, trucks, RVs, motorcycles, Jeeps and more, have lower than anticipated voltage at that plug. Some, as low as 11V. And, even if you start the engine, and added amperage and voltage is seen at the bulb, it may not be up to what the bulb can handle.

Many guys have taken upon themselves, to add a relay and larger wire to the head light bulbs. They use the existing wires for both low beam and high beam to trigger the relay. But, the relay carries the larger wire and, therefore, the higher voltage to the headlights. Many, many guys report much better brightness when they've done this, somewhat, simple modification.

Might be worth a try, if you'd like.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
WDW

Can you show a picture of your headlights?

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Maybe I missed it somewhere but, did you by chance, do a voltage check right at the point where your plug is on the backside of the head light? Many, many autos, trucks, RVs, motorcycles, Jeeps and more, have lower than anticipated voltage at that plug. Some, as low as 11V. And, even if you start the engine, and added amperage and voltage is seen at the bulb, it may not be up to what the bulb can handle.

Many guys have taken upon themselves, to add a relay and larger wire to the head light bulbs. They use the existing wires for both low beam and high beam to trigger the relay. But, the relay carries the larger wire and, therefore, the higher voltage to the headlights. Many, many guys report much better brightness when they've done this, somewhat, simple modification.

Might be worth a try, if you'd like.
Scott
I should have but seeing that the new bulbs were not as bright as they should have been and that they were not evenly lit, told me that the voltage was off. It could have been a grounding issue (the F53 chassis has some very bad grounds in it) but the headlight assemblies have 3 ground wires going into them.

The Noyka bulbs are rated to over 14 volts, I don't think additional voltage and amperage is going to shorten their life.

The relay harness I listed fixed the issue perfectly. If you have the traditional high low bulb you may need 2 harnesses or a different style relay.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Can you show a picture of your headlights?
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

This is the best I have for now.

They are these headlight assemblies

Eagle Eyes AD049- B0W10

2006 2008 Audi A4 Halogen Type Projector Headlights R8 LED Style Pair Chrome | eBay

Tags
light