Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #57

I think the best piece of advice I every got was, never be in a hurry when preparing to move out. That's when stuff goes wrong

and safe travels

Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
I think the best piece of advice I every got was, never be in a hurry when preparing to move out. That's when stuff goes wrong

and safe travels

BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #59

Three things i told to me that helps keep it all in perspective and I've found them to be 100% accurate:

#1 Whether it's a $50K class C or a $750K bus-based coach, for the most part, the physical systems are all the same, made by the same manufacturers - that is the furnace, water heater, appliances, leveling jacks, generator, etc, etc, etc. The high-dollar coaches may have MORE stuff, with MORE bells and whistles, or BIGGER stuff, but essentially it's all the same. And it fails the same too, and MORE stuff with MORE features usually means a higher failure rate overall.

#2 - what you are doing essentially, is buying a lightly constructed house and putting it on a shaker table.

#3 - manufacturers don't have much in the way of quality control, nor what we in the military business call "qualification testing" - essentially a systems level evaluation that the item is suitable for use. They stick it together, do some rudimentary final op testing, and sell it. YOU, the new owner, are the quality tester. You don't get the benefit of millions of miles of exhaustive testing like is done on automobiles.

Too many people on this site have misconceptions of the product they just bought.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your generator will cut off when your moho gasoline tank gets to 1/4. Don't freak out...just buy more gas.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
You will make silly mistakes that end up costing you money. Don't beat yourself up. Live and learn and enjoy. Each trip you take you get to know your rig more. Have fun.
I like this one, finally came to the realization that if something goes wrong you have 2 options, live with it or fix it, you can't take it back once it's done.
Don't be in a hurry and listen to your gut, if your gut tells you to go around the campground once more instead of backing up over a pole in the dark, go around again.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #62

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route
I have found that there are really only two basic RV protocols that make RVing the pleasurable experience it is meant to be.

1. One should never used the RV's smoke detector as a kitchen timer.

That's it. Now get out there and have some fun! Bob
Sounds like something from Ron White!
Excellent.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #63

Here's another hint: depending on your rear overhang, and whether you have a trailer hitch, don't drive straight up or down angled entry ramps (gas stations, parking lots, etc.). I have read of several people who have "hung" their rig on the front tires and trailer hitch, with the back tires off the ground (or at least loosing traction). This can be a real hassle to get corrected, and usually requires a tow truck. I have a buddy who did this while attempting to cross both sides of a divided four lane highway. He was towing an enclosed race car trailer, the trailer hitch really drug into the pavement, and he had the entire road blocked.

The correct route over steep ramps is to "crab", or drive at an angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolsout2 View Post
Go to a large empty parking lot and practice right turns. Set up large trash cans in a row and see how close you can get. Then throw them away.

You are bigger than they are. Just be aware that the tail swings so watch it especially in a gas station.

RV friendly gas stations in the book means diesel.

Look befor you turn into a gas station, if you can get into the pump can you get out.

Cars will block you in.

Cars will cut you off.

Our only accident was a guy hit me in the side half way back. He said he did not see me! I am 37 feet long and green!

At rest areas when it says campers one way and trucks another, use the truck parking.

When you have a problem ask for help, we have met the nicest friendliest people in the last 2 years.

Get set up then have a cold one and enjoy the adventure.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Your generator will cut off when your moho gasoline tank gets to 1/4. Don't freak out...just buy more gas.
Sarah - Now why would you think I would Freak out when that happens, have you been talking to my wife....
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use some very visible marker ( I use a big RED cord) to remind you that the TV antenna is cranked up, before leaving the campground......

Take your time.

safe travels
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #66
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan
Use some very visible marker ( I use a big RED cord) to remind you that the TV antenna is cranked up, before leaving the campground......

Take your time.

safe travels
I wrap my cb mike cord around the gear shift lever.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Always know where you are in relation to your lane, and if you don't have a lot of experience with a vehicle this wide, at first it might not be intuitive. Here's a trick I was taught many many years ago when I was first learning to drive an 18 wheeler.

On a non-busy road get yourself perfectly centered in your lane. Verify this by checking both rear view spots and where you are in relationship to the white lines (same gap on both sides). Then pick a spot on your dash or lower windshield or something on the front of the coach (on mine there is a seam in the dash) that intersects with the left white line where it disappears from view under the coach.

Now, instead of having to constantly check both spots to see where you are in the lane you can quickly glance down and check that intersection point. Much safer and faster than turning your head to check the right mirror. After a while your eyes will train themselves and staying centered will become as natural as it is in your car.

Also, I'm sure you've seen the signs on the back of large trucks that warn "this vehicle makes wide right hand turns." You are now one of those vehicles. Very easy to cut a right turn to sharp and run the back of your coach up on the curb, or worse, into the light pole/stop sign whatever the city decided to put in your way. Even easier when towing. Swing as wide as you dare on RH turns and bias as far left in the RH turn lane as you can when approaching these intersections.

And as pretty much everybody else has advised, laughter is the best medicin when things go wrong - which they will.