Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We can afford what we want but it doesn't fit our lifestyle now. (entegra anthem, no bunks) We need bunks
Well, along very same lines to the anthem:

I just took delivery of a 2014 American Coach Revolution 42T with rear bunks. It was a special build and mine is actually unique, but they have built several variations of the "bunk special" over the years in this model.

If something like that interests you, I can send you the floor plan. Imagine the rear closet is deleted and made into a bunk room.

This was the nicest coach I could find with bunks short of a Prevost/Newell which was not possible for us.
Nubulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubulin View Post
Well, along very same lines to the anthem:

I just took delivery of a 2014 American Coach Revolution 42T with rear bunks. It was a special build and mine is actually unique, but they have built several variations of the "bunk special" over the years in this model.
That is Hilarious! Hubby liked American Coach more than Anthem! Very interested in them!
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #17

Can they put it in after the fact?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #18

Tiffin makes an Allegro gas bunk, Phaeton DP bunk with a nice good sized Cummins, Newmar doesn't even need to do a custom King Aire has a stock bunk model Berkshire has some bunk models as well. Then if you go used there's the All-Star etc. Fleetwood has a bunk model I believe in the Storm line, as well for the ACE it's competitors include the Pursuit and FR3 with the drop down bunks. Lots of choices to look at.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngTrillium View Post
Tiffin makes an Allegro gas bunk, Phaeton DP bunk with a nice good sized Cummins, Newmar doesn't even need to do a custom King Aire has a stock bunk model Berkshire has some bunk models as well. Then if you go used there's the All-Star etc. Fleetwood has a bunk model I believe in the Storm line, as well for the ACE it's competitors include the Pursuit and FR3 with the drop down bunks. Lots of choices to look at.
The King Aire is more than we want to spend for the first coach :(

We didn't like the interior of the Phaeton as much as the Entegra's....so we thought that if we need to settle for the first go round we'd settle even lower in cost. I didn't see the allegro bus bunk....

Personally I've seen some Berkshire bunks in the low to mid 100K range and that seems great to me. We'd be looking at trading up in 5 years so we don't want to lose everything on it.

The storm I didn't see in person to know if the "feel" is good but that is a good point.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Can they put it in after the fact?
I don't see why not. Certainly when done new it will come out better and look like it is supposed to be that way. Mine came out very nice.

But, if you are not super picky, I don't see why you couldn't do something decent after the fact.

There is one on ebay right now that has aftermarket bunks added.

REV on ebay

Prices like this on late model used is why I just bought a new one.

The Rev 42T was the nicest bunk unit I could find under $500K. 450 Cummins, Side radiator, Aqua Hot, Bath and 1/2, tag axle, triple air, etc. There just isn't many options if you have kids and want something in the so called "luxury" lines.

The next in line from my perspective was the Fleetwood Discovery 40G. They are very nice, but lack a few of the above features that were must haves for me. They would be great for older kids, but my kids are small, so being able to put them in the back for bed early and still being able to entertain in the salon was a priority. In 2014 the Rev 42T is the only class A diesel I have seen that can do that.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.
Nubulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #21

I bought a Newmar Ventana LE 3845 Bunk model, it is the lower end of the Newmar line and very nicely done.
danddclydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We're not far from here --> www.mhsrv.com and so we like to go 'compare' and get good ideas from their extensive inventory...
we went through one a while back that had a nice bunk bed layout but with a twist...
IIRC,
the bunks could be folded out of the way and made into either a sofa or desk setup... good multi use of the space....
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to start by making an assumption here. You said around 12 thousand miles a year and then said it will be stationary most of the time. AS other posters have pointed out 12,000 miles a year is actually quite a bit. that would be 60000 miles on a 5 year old coach and my experience has been there are an unbelieveable amount of 8 year old coaches that do not have 60,000 miles. My coach was 7 when I bought it and it had 30,000. So ai going to assume you just used 12000 miles as a low number based on thinking about how many miles you get from an auto.

Now if you are correct about being stationary a lot of the time. I am going to be on a different tangent. First of all I started with a 5th wheel unit and went to a class A DP. My wife and I go somewhere for a week or two and then go somewhere else or camp on the weekends etc. I personally never got comfortable towing the 5th wheel but that was just me. IF I was trying to be on a budget and needed bunkbeds I would go with either a 5th wheel or travel trailer. I have looked at a lot of them and personally I think some of the new travel trailers with two bedrooms and bunk bed suites are as good as it gets for chidrens spaces. I looked at a 5th wheel while having my power cable replaced last month. I do not remember the brand name. But it had a raised step rear kitchen which I had never seen before. I believe that it was on a par with a diesel pusher in a lot of ways. The unit I looked at had hydraulic leveling from the factory, Power cord on a reel. It had a generator, Sattelite dish, two roof AC. With the raised kitchen it had a lot of room underneath for storage similar to what a diesel pusher does. Pricewise the new unit was 1/2 of what I paid for my 7 year old diesel pusher which I got for a very good price. Maintenance on a 5th wheel is peanunts compared to a DP and that is including maint on the tow vehicle. I have noticed with the DP that it is a lot easier to cool and heat the 5th wheel than the DP I suspect they have better insulation. If you area going to go just set up and camp somewhere and leave the unit in place for several months you might want to go with something besides a MH. I love traveling in mine because the view, ride, convenience etc but if you ask me which is the better way to go for going some where and staying for an extended stay I believe that a 5th wheel might be better.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #24

We will stay put Monday - Friday while hubby works. Then weekend trips across the state 600 miles each max. Every other month a 1000 mile trip. 2 or 3 1500 mile trips. One large cross country trip a year. That's where I go the number from

I agree about the 5th wheel but hubby just doesn't like them :( He has read that they aren't insulated as well and he is worried about quality in them. We need to go to a high end dealer but they are pretty far.

I personally love the floor plan on the DRV Manhattan, it is wonderful!

Wish I could find it in a coach!

http://www.drvsuites.com/images/2014..._Manhattan.gif
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Quote:
Then weekend trips across the state 600 miles each max.
RV ing is not like driving a car and staying in hotels. You might drive a car 600 miles, and then check in a hotel late at night......but plan to drive much shorter distances in an RV. Here is why.... Unless you just pull in to a truck stop or Walmart, you need to arrive at the RV park at a reasonable hour in daylight. You need the daylight to back in to your space, not hit trees and low limbs along the way. You don't want to disturb the peace of the other campers, that are relaxing or already in bed, by pulling in at midnight (your 450hp diesel rumbling) and trying to get situated.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We will stay put Monday - Friday while hubby works. Then weekend trips across the state 600 miles each max. Every other month a 1000 mile trip. 2 or 3 1500 mile trips. One large cross country trip a year. That's where I go the number from

I agree about the 5th wheel but hubby just doesn't like them :( He has read that they aren't insulated as well and he is worried about quality in them. We need to go to a high end dealer but they are pretty far.

I personally love the floor plan on the DRV Manhattan, it is wonderful!

Wish I could find it in a coach!

http://www.drvsuites.com/images/2014..._Manhattan.gif
OK I am going to just say that I think your husband is totally wrong in what he is worried about. If he does not like them that is one thing. I started with a new 5th wheel in 2011 a heartland big horn. We looked at the mobile suites we did not feel like for our needs the price did not justify the differences. As far as build construction goes. The frame will have as good a quality build as a motor home. Both of them use 1 inch square aluminum tubing welded into a frame then use styrofoam insulation in the walls with fiberglass exterior walls. Based on my experience the 5th wheel will have thicker wall insulation and be significantly easier to heat and cool. I had the next price level cheaper than the mobile suites with my 5th wheel and I currently have a Tiffin Allegro Bus motor home which is a good quality coach. I believe the tiffin has better quality cabinets than a 5th wheel since they are basically solid oak. I am not sure about the mobile suite cabinets since I did not look at them that close. The mobile suites I looked at had granite counter tops in the bathroom and kitchen as well as table tops beside the bed. I have not seen that yet in a motor home. LIke I said if his dislike is based on build and insulation then the model you are looking at will be more than comparable to any of the MH you are looking at. Now the differences I see if you want my perspective. Convenience if someone wants to go to the bathroom ( excluding the driver) they can just go to the bathroom while you are driving. Looking at the floor plan I cannot say for sure but most 5th wheels and this one looks to be the same you cannot open the refrigerator when you stop unless you put the slide out. I am pretty sure you will not be able to get back to the living room area or the back bedroom without the slides out. This becomes inconvenient if you want to just pull into Walmart and have lunch or spend the night. Putting the slides out will involve unhitching from the camper, leveling and then putting the slides out. With the mobile suites you can get the automatic leveling so that is not a big deal but some people feel uncomfortable with the slides out in a parking lot. The big plus is I have not personally seen a MH that had the amount of space and their own bathroom for the children. On the other hand the MH will be a lot lot lot lot easier to park in your parking space. I can park my motor home in less than half of the time it took to park my 5th wheel and I use a lot less imaginative language in the process.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #27

We love the layout of our new Thor Windsport 34j. The bunk setup is great. Plus it has the overhead drop down bunk. Definitely not the quality build of Tiffin or lots of others for that matter but if you plan to upgrade later that might not mater too much. I looked a lot of coaches with bunk beds and have to say Thor has the most innovative floor plans. Thor makes the ACE as well.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:39 AM   #28

There are 5th wheels that have a quality level pretty close or equal to the upper level Class A's. Some of them are VERY well insulated. I would personally want a class A for a cross country trip but that's just me. There is no pickup truck that is as comfortable as the motorhome for the passengers.