Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #29

We are trying to decide on the Storm 32H or the Georgetown ...both are working looking at and be bought new for $80k.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #30

Well everyone has great ideas. I spent days working the numbers on all the options and pros and cons.

The whole reason we started this journey was to pick up and go and have the ease of the class a. We are back to that right now.

We are also keeping my Lincoln mkt, which is quite heavy, and maybe even hubby's Prius since we need two cars.

We are also going to get some racing go carts so a class a diesel is the way we want to go.

We've got the ten nagger format least 5 years so we really think we are going for a used bunk model, then when he is gone look at our options.

Right now, #1 forest river charleston #2 Berkshire #Tiffin Phaeton

That is in no order but we are considering all three.

I know a year seems far off to you all but this is a huge purchase!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #31

Used Foretravel's are the only way to go. Check them out!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The problem with a lot of the bunk models is that the bunks are.........on the short and narrow side.

Little kids grow up into bigger kids and then many suddenly don't fit into the bunks all that comfortably anymore. Would also be great to be able to sleep the occasional adult on them (comfortably!) as well, if you have company.

From what I've seen, Forrest River has the largest and widest bunks out there, which would be a big selling point for me personally, if I was in the market for bunks.

If you're specifically looking at the Charleston/Berkshire, there is currently a $5k to $10k factory rebate out there right now on new models, which 'should' be on top of your already-negotiated price (if you're dealing with a good dealership, but that's a whole other issue! )

Here is a link to the Forest River Forums; there are some Berkshire and (fewer) Charleston folks on there posting. Might be good to take a look and browse the posts (scroll down to "Motorhomes" section).

Forest River Forums - Forest River Owners Community

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #33

The first coach we liked was the charleston.

We looked at one last summer, dealership still has it actually, but then We saw entegras and American coach and got swayed

I am trying to get back and see them again this week
Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #34

Not sure I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubulin View Post

There is one on ebay right now that has aftermarket bunks added.

REV on ebay

Prices like this on late model used is why I just bought a new one.
I am not sure I understand your statement above. Are you saying that you bought new because you think this deal on ebay is crazy? Or because you think it is an example of retaining "good value" (I know...relative term). I am going to assume the former..since that is how I read it.

The way I see it, this eBay deal is "on par".

Assuming an MSRP of around $390k and a good deal of -25% then the OTD price is around $293k. Then assume "typical depreciation" (yeah I know...we could debate this forever) of 15% in year 1 (44k) and then an additional 10% in year 2 (25k). This leaves us around 224 for a value. Add the motorcycle lift, subtract for some damage, factor in that this is asking price not what you will pay, etc. etc, etc. I guess in my pea sized brain...this is about what I would expect the seller to ask (no I am not associated in any way).

What am I missing here?

In full disclosure, I am lurking like crazy because I have narrowed down to 2 or 3 floorplans and am trying to learn everything I can before making the leap. Bunks on a tag and >40' are a critical part of our plan.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger275 View Post
In full disclosure, I am lurking like crazy because I have narrowed down to 2 or 3 floorplans and am trying to learn everything I can before making the leap. Bunks on a tag and >40' are a critical part of our plan.
Good luck, we gave up on them
Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #36

Some of the OP's statements don't make sense. I too would love an American Coach, Tiffin diesel, Entegra etc.. However, my "wallet" justified my Georgetown purchase which I am quite happy with. We all have big eye balls when shopping, but it comes down to what can you, or are you, willing to spend with the features and floor plan you like will ultimately determine which coach you buy. As many have posted, there are high end, mid end and low end models out there with bunk features. Dollars and "sense" will decide for most on the chosen coach to start out with.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
Agree, it isn't like there is an archive!
Most manufacturers do have brochures in archives. Newmar and Winnebago/Itasca have excellent archives that are easy to find while other manufacturers have varying levels of archives and ease of locating them.

I'm not pimping Newmar but they do one thing that I haven't found in any other brand and that is provide NCC for a stock MH. Of course, any optional equipment and such will lower the NCC but it is something that gives you an idea of how much it can carry. I wish other brands did the same.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As a larger thought about your first MH...

Sandee and I bought a 39' Winnebago gasser 2 years ago. We knew that we wanted to go full time and didn't want to start with anything but a Class A for us and our 2 GSDs. To be quite honest, we didn't even begin to know what we didn't know.

I really can't complain about our Adventurer 38J from a build and finish standpoint. In fact, we really liked the floor plan and would have loved to replicate it in a DP but that was difficult for a variety of reasons.

While we learned that we couldn't load it for full time use the way we wanted to go full time, it also taught us a lot on what to look for in our next MH. While I would like to have some of the money we "lost" in that purchase and subsequent trade in, I really can't complain. I think that what it taught us was invaluable in our purchase of our DSDP. If we had bought a higher priced MH in the first place and found it wasn't what we thought we wanted, we could have lost even more cash in the process.

It sounds like, to me, that you have a lot of issues that you want to sort out and that can be most vexing. At the same time, you seem to have some variables to deal with, particularly with children. If you don't plan to be doing lots of time and/or miles for the next few years, I suggest you put you go as simple as possible yet meet your required needs and then meet as many of you good/nice to have needs as possible.

One thing is to pay particular attention to NCC/CCC, especially if you go with a gas model. You can decide if traveling with full or partial water to control coach weight is the way to go. In our case, our Winnebago easily maxed out the rear axle with full water and only enough "stuff" for part time use. OTOH, our DSDP has a minor challenge with the front axle but it can be managed and yet carry full water and even a little bit in the grey & black tanks. It is OUR CHOICE to have a MH that can carry full water. Some don't want or need that so you can think that one out. The key is to get the darn thing weighed AS IS and not rely on the sticker. Things change and we found that while we had nearly 1850# of CCC, we maxed out the rear axle with 300# still available in the GVWR. We couldn't move enough stuff forward to overcome that problem.

Thus, with less than a year of ownership we traded up to our current DSDP. It isn't perfect but it was what we wanted in size and CCC. We are in the process of replacing the tile flooring because we want to. We have put in a lot of time and effort to make it ours for a long time. It was at a GREAT price that allows us to do these things and still save money over buying a newer one with some features we might have liked. But...we are happy.

So, yes...it is very hard to put all this together into finding that MH to meet your needs. It can be done but sometimes it takes a couple MHs to get there. Sorry, that just seems to be what I read as being very normal.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #39

i was hoping to avoid it with my super powers I know. Part of me is thinking I need to go back to the Toy Hauler 5th wheel. The payment on the truck replaces my car payment, then the Trailer is WAY less than the Motorhome.....
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, here is the answer to all of your requirements.

*Bunk floor plan
*Used but cared for coach
*Great quality
*Will tow all ya got in a stacker trailer if need be

Newell Coach | Phil Cornelius | Inventory | Large | Information

Dave
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #41

That is a million bucks :(
Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
That is a million bucks :(
Remember, that is before discount. And it is everything you asked for.

Dave